Spy, temptress, victim? Mata Hari still eludes definition

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Netherlands — A century ago on Sunday, an exotic dancer named Mata Hari was executed by a French firing squad, condemned as a sultry Dutch double agent who supposedly caused the deaths of thousands of soldiers during World War I.

Her life and death became fodder almost overnight for one of the greatest spy stories of all time — featuring an alluring temptress who could dance, dazzle and draw secrets from the hapless military men unable to resist her.

Increasingly, though, Mata Hari — the stage name adopted by Margaretha Zelle — is also being reinterpreted as a victim of a time when a sexually liberated woman with artistic ambitions faced harsh judgment.

The irony is not missed on Yves Rocourt, curator of "Mata Hari. The Myth and the Maiden," an exhibit opening this weekend in Leeuwarden, the Dutch town where Zelle was born in 1876.

"Unfortunately, issues like money and having to sleep with someone in a position of power to achieve something are not time-related," Rocourt said.

"You cannot help but think about what is going in Hollywood at this very moment," said Julie Wheelwright, author of the biography "The Fatal Lover." ''All these allegations that are coming out now and you just wonder, 'But what's changed in 100 years?' Not much."

On a canal close to her childhood home, where vicious winds and icy temperatures can freeze the water for months, a statue erected in 1976 shows Mata Hari in her typical stage regalia. Dressed in little more than pearls and veils, she stands with legs apart and arms outstretched, ready to take on the world.

How she got to the glittering salons and theaters of Paris and Berlin before ending up in front of a firing squad was due to desperation as much as boldness.
Spy, temptress, victim? Mata Hari still eludes definition

I have never viewed her as a victim. I'm not about to start now. That shouldn't be interpreted that I don't understand the time. I do.

New Topics

Forum List

Back