Speed of USMB in various browsers

Which browser on your computer works best with USMB?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well for what it's worth, on Win98se (ya ya I know...hehe) and a P2-400, 384MBs RAM, and DSL (550KB down max) and Firefox 2.0.0.20 (max version for this OS) everything's more or less fine. Have the browser cache set to just 32MBs or so but never have to flush it, and with the Fasterfox add-on and 'friendly' settings everything's fine. Do notice it takes a little longer loading any given page than I'd like, since it'll load all the previous posts on the thread's page but it's a minor annoyance I'm learning to live with.

You should run your operating system via ram, a la "Slack Puppy" or one of the other CD ROM, Linux based systems. The 128 MB system will really fly with what you have. Download it for free and burn it to CD as an ISO.

Another good one is DSL (Damn Small Linux) it is only 49 MB's, but has fewer features obviously.

As far as a browser, I would go to a slimmed down version. FF is a bit slow for that type of set-up, but for God's sake - lose the W98!!! Don't do that to yourself!!!

Right. You can even run the entire system from a USB stick.

This is a good idea and I recommend it ... er ... if you indeed even HAVE a USB port! :eek:

Forum List

Back