Some New Web-browsers Out There... Worth A Test-drive....

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
In addition to Chrome, Firefox and Opera, some newer browsers have made their way onto the "market" and I have been testing them, including testing them with USMB.

logoLarge.png

One is a browser out of Japan called "Sleipnir" (the latest version is 6). It is large because it renders text in a completely different way, but overall, it runs well. The tabbing with Sleipnir is a little klutzy - when you open a link in a new tab, it automatically goes to that tab. But Sleipnir also allows you to organize tabs according to groups, each of which has it's own color. In this way, it's easy to tab in and out between professional and free-time/hobby groups. The description of the norse myth of Sleipnir is also described quite well at the browser's website.

cyberfox.png

I was running into some problems with Firefox and so I decided to try an offshot browser, also a Mozilla engine, called "Cyberfox", and I find it most outstanding. It runs decidedly faster than Firefox and there is a version for 64 bit. In fact, it runs so well, I deinstalled Firefox from my desktop and laptop systems.

comodo-dragon-browser.gif

There is also a sleeker version of Chrome out there, a browser made with online security in mind, called "Comodo Dragon". It is blazingly fast and every bit as easy to use as Chrome. The rendering engine for Dragon is indeed "Chromium"

Firefox addons work with Cyberfox, Chrome addons work with Dragon and both Firefox and Chrome addons work with Sleipnir (which is also in mobile form for Android and is really outstanding on the smart-phone).

You can use a search engine to find these browsers and download them according to your system needs and try them out. Just thought to pass this information along. USMB runs well with all of these newer and lesser known browsers, esp. with Dragon. The info site for Dragon explains quite well how it makes your surfing safer and far more anonymous in the interweebz....

And of course, the newest version of Opera is really quite outstanding.

Hope this information helps.

cereal_killer

I use Safari, not sure which of those would work on a MAC. I also have Chrome but I only use it to play games, because Safari, for some reason doesn't work well with games.

• Banned
How does this site look in those new browsers? The contrast on these pages is killing me peepers.

With Sleipnir, the text looks cleaner somehow. The Japanese have developed a text-rendering technology that seems to be pretty cool. The site runs the fastest in Comodo Dragon, even faster than with Google Chrome.

I'm really old fashioned I guess because I just stay with IE. For me it's the simplest, most user friendly, is very fast, runs all my on line games, and gives me almost no grief. And I really enjoy the beautiful and interesting pictures Bing uses for its wallpaper. :)

I
How does this site look in those new browsers? The contrast on these pages is killing me peepers.

With Sleipnir, the text looks cleaner somehow. The Japanese have developed a text-rendering technology that seems to be pretty cool. The site runs the fastest in Comodo Dragon, even faster than with Google Chrome.
I checked out the Sleipnir website and like the improved text that they demonstrate.
Downloading now... but 50 megs? Oof.

Well, I do very much like the font contrast. :thup:

But how do I increase the page size?

Also, it seems a bit luggy. Maybe it's learning?

And when I scroll with the mouse pad, it's a bit jumpy.

Which one do you like best? I like Chrome so I'm gonna look into Dragon.

I am using Dragon right now. Apparently, the security software in the program is also somewhat intuitive, meaning that the algorhythm in the program searches for consistent visits to certain websites. When you visit a website the very first time, it may take a bit longer to load, but once you have been visiting that website a while, it goes blazingly fast.

I can recommend that you try it. It's also not a bad idea to have Dragon and Chrome running side by side, just to see how work when you visit the same site on both programs at once.

TheOldSchool

I

I checked out the Sleipnir website and like the improved text that they demonstrate.

When I downloaded Sleipnir, the download was 233 MB.

I

Hmm... maybe I was reading it wrong. It took quite a while (about an hour). Plus, I've just inherited a McAfee program which pisses me off.

I

Hmm... maybe I was reading it wrong. It took quite a while (about an hour). Plus, I've just inherited a McAfee program which pisses me off.

You don't have to install the McAfee hang-on program, you could have checked a box to get rid of the installation. And if both are installed, you can simply deinstall the McAfee stuff independently of Sleipnir.

Today, as of the afternoon, I am extensively testing Cyberfox and finding the program to be truly excellent. It is measurably FASTER than Firefox. Don't ask me why, I don't know, but I notice that the program runs like a top.

In addition to Chrome, Firefox and Opera, some newer browsers have made their way onto the "market" and I have been testing them, including testing them with USMB.

logoLarge.png

One is a browser out of Japan called "Sleipnir" (the latest version is 6). It is large because it renders text in a completely different way, but overall, it runs well. The tabbing with Sleipnir is a little klutzy - when you open a link in a new tab, it automatically goes to that tab. But Sleipnir also allows you to organize tabs according to groups, each of which has it's own color. In this way, it's easy to tab in and out between professional and free-time/hobby groups. The description of the norse myth of Sleipnir is also described quite well at the browser's website.

cyberfox.png

I was running into some problems with Firefox and so I decided to try an offshot browser, also a Mozilla engine, called "Cyberfox", and I find it most outstanding. It runs decidedly faster than Firefox and there is a version for 64 bit. In fact, it runs so well, I deinstalled Firefox from my desktop and laptop systems.

comodo-dragon-browser.gif

There is also a sleeker version of Chrome out there, a browser made with online security in mind, called "Comodo Dragon". It is blazingly fast and every bit as easy to use as Chrome. The rendering engine for Dragon is indeed "Chromium"

Firefox addons work with Cyberfox, Chrome addons work with Dragon and both Firefox and Chrome addons work with Sleipnir (which is also in mobile form for Android and is really outstanding on the smart-phone).

You can use a search engine to find these browsers and download them according to your system needs and try them out. Just thought to pass this information along. USMB runs well with all of these newer and lesser known browsers, esp. with Dragon. The info site for Dragon explains quite well how it makes your surfing safer and far more anonymous in the interweebz....

And of course, the newest version of Opera is really quite outstanding.

Hope this information helps.

cereal_killer

Anything new for Windows 98se? Heh.

With new DRM (Digital Rights Management) stuff moving into browsers, instead of being handled by Flash, I'd only consider Firefox-based browsers.

Mozilla wanted all DRM stuff to be open source, but they were outvoted by Microsoft-Apple-Google, so the new DRM web standards use proprietary closed-source code made by the content vendors. Mozilla is being forced to go along to a certain extent, otherwise their browser wouldn't be able to play a lot of the video out there. However, Firefox will wrap the proprietary DRM code in an open-source wrapper, which will prevent the DRM code from grabbing private information off the computer. And it will have the option to turn off the DRM altogether.

Forum List

Back