Speaking of Speaking

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
The remote learning format, as inadequate as it is, has allowed for some interesting observations. Online, more so than in person, people tend to revert to their L1 more readily when they are feeling frustrated.

I was helping some students earlier this morning who were having technical issues or needed to communicate something to the school administration, and each time they switched codes back to their L1 quite frequently. I observed this even with students who have generally solid English skills.

I tend to do the same thing if I’m feeling frustrated and communicating in another language.

The remote learning format, as inadequate as it is, has allowed for some interesting observations. Online, more so than in person, people tend to revert to their L1 more readily when they are feeling frustrated.

I was helping some students earlier this morning who were having technical issues or needed to communicate something to the school administration, and each time they switched codes back to their L1 quite frequently. I observed this even with students who have generally solid English skills.

I tend to do the same thing if I’m feeling frustrated and communicating in another language.
I consider the online learning format to be just like reading a book..

How many languages do you speak and what frustrates you when communicating in another language?

I can see reverting back to the primary language under stress.

How many languages do you speak and what frustrates you when communicating in another language?

Varying degrees of quite a few. It's frustrating when you're at a loss for a word that is key to what you need to say. Sometimes a word in another language will come to mind, but not the one in the language you need. Also, it's exhausting to speak for an extended period of time over the telephone with no visual cues.

Forum List

Back