Spanish Trails in the United States.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
For decades the Spanish legacy penetrated territories that currently form a part of the United States through a series of trails called the Royal Roads. Originally, these trails connected two capitals, but in time the term was used to designate routes that connected settlements that boasted certain relevance. Today the U.S. National Park Service manages these trails.

The “Camino Real de Tierra Adentro” (Royal Inland Road)
It was the most important of all the Royal Roads and it connected Mexico City and Santa Fe in New Mexico. In its 2560 kilometers (1600 miles) it passed through cities such as Juarez, El Paso, and Albuquerque. It was popularly known as the “Santa Fe Road” and also as the “Silver Road”.

For decades the Spanish legacy penetrated territories that currently form a part of the United States through a series of trails called the Royal Roads. Originally, these trails connected two capitals, but in time the term was used to designate routes that connected settlements that boasted certain relevance. Today the U.S. National Park Service manages these trails.

It was the most important of all the Royal Roads and it connected Mexico City and Santa Fe in New Mexico. In its 2560 kilometers (1600 miles) it passed through cities such as Juarez, El Paso, and Albuquerque. It was popularly known as the “Santa Fe Road” and also as the “Silver Road”.

I went on an off road trip from Vegas to Southern California following the same trail as the settlers took.
It was cool as hell!! You hit all of the springs they used for water and you camped at the same places the settlers did as well as the indians.
If you looked you'd find the holes in the rock where the indians ground corn.
Really cool stuff!

1643687575369.png

I grew up in the El Paso/Juarez area. I know a bit of the history.

• Banned
We have such a rich history and I think that it is being forgotten. The Spanish have had an incredible impact on our culture in various ways. It's not separate but....like a tapestry.

I’ve been through the British, it’s everywhere in NoVa. Got interested in the French, and the Treaty of Paris.

Now moved on to the Spanish, wondering how much influence Ferdinand and Isabella had in sponsoring Columbus’ voyage to the New World.

I’ve been through the British, it’s everywhere in NoVa. Got interested in the French, and the Treaty of Paris.

Now moved on to the Spanish, wondering how much influence Ferdinand and Isabella had in sponsoring Columbus’ voyage to the New World.

So you know some history unlike many who like to talk about it for agendas. The first ships Spain and Portugal sent to The Americas were loaded up with slaves bought from the African Slave traders. But don't tell the libs they want it to be all about the white founders and European's.
One of the first conflict's was the bloody war at Matanzas Inlet island where the Spanish had a fort aka Fort Matanzas . Matanzas in English means Massacre.
Or at least what I remember about this part of history.
Also this has nothing to do with Mexico really, its all about Spain and the new world.

Attachments

• 1643735886778.png
    1643735886778.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 31
I think I have this correct.

The Spanish founded the colony of St. Augustine, before the British at Jamestown.
That is correct. St Augustine, FL is the oldest European settlement in America. Est. 1565

Yes!

These missions are out by San Antonio.

We have such a rich history and I think that it is being forgotten. The Spanish have had an incredible impact on our culture in various ways. It's not separate but....like a tapestry.

Like Taco Bell franchises and illegal immigration?

In any case, they didn't exert much influence north of the Rio Grande. Santa Fe was so far north it only saw a Mexican caravan once or twice a year; they saw more American trade out of Kansas than Mexican from Mexico. The Rio Grande VAlley had a few hundred, most of the missions were staffed by priests, soldiers, and native slaves. Most Mexicans wouldn't be caught dead north of Tampico, until AFTER the Texas seccession and the Gadsden Purchase due to Comanches and Apaches.

Texas did retain a lot of Spanish names, and Spanish water laws and other legal influences, true, but that was because of Sam Houston and other colonists adopting the Spanish legal system as colonials and kept many of them after secession.

They sponsored Columbus. Well, Isabella did.

Everyone else he had approached turned him down.

Like Taco Bell franchises and illegal immigration?

In any case, they didn't exert much influence north of the Rio Grande. Santa Fe was so far north it only saw a Mexican caravan once or twice a year; they saw more American trade out of Kansas than Mexican from Mexico. The Rio Grande VAlley had a few hundred, most of the missions were staffed by priests, soldiers, and native slaves. Most Mexicans wouldn't be caught dead north of Tampico, until AFTER the Texas seccession and the Gadsden Purchase due to Comanches and Apaches.

Texas did retain a lot of Spanish names, and Spanish water laws and other legal influences, true, but that was because of Sam Houston and other colonists adopting the Spanish legal system as colonials and kept many of them after secession.
I found there are those that are Spanish that want to make a point they are not Mexican.

And here: España y La Louisiana

One of the arguments that I have encountered came out of the raids from the Apaches in AZ. They came down from the mountains. What people didn't realize is that the Spanish were on the the other side of the mountains and wouldn't let them come down and the Apaches needed food.

So, architecture, food, culture. Hell, I have a great x4? grandfather that fought in the Spanish-American war.

He was an Italian.

I’ve been to his house, in the Canaries. Now a museum.

Very interesting. All the charts of the sailing routes. In those days.
What do you think about him?

I found there are those that are Spanish that want to make a point they are not Mexican.

Yes, which why I distinguished between Spanish soldiers and Mexican settlers; Spain would have used Mexicans as colonists, as they didn't want waves of 'anglos' settling in their lands, for the obvious political reasons. My wife's family are Spanish land grant inheritors in west Texas, and they distinguish between Spanish and mestizo people as well. Mexico still has Spanish families that rarely marry outside their Spanish circle there.

Both Comanches and Apaches continued to raid far to the south into the 1870's and prevented much in the way of settling in northern Mexico and north of the Rio Grande. It took the anglos to settle the U.S.

New Information. Based on new research using church records, the diet of a mission Indian had about 1400 calories a day. By comparison, an inmate in a Nazi concentration camp received about 1500 calories a day and a negro slave in a sugar plantation received about 4000 calories per day. Church records also show there was an usually an abundance of food available from the mission farms and herds of cattle and sheep. The same fields and herds the Indians were being used to tend. While mission Indians were dying, the surplus food was being shipped back to Mexico for a profit.

The Indians were forced to work at hard labor from dawn till dark six days a week. Their living conditions were bad. Records describe the Indian living quarters in missions as being like large wooden cattle pens. There was little protection from the cold and from rain. Each Indian was given a space of 2 feet by 7 feet on the dirt floor to sleep on.

Men and women, even married, were kept separated from each other and from their children. Only Indians confirmed by the Catholic Church as Christian Indians were allowed to marry and live together. It could take several years for an Indian to get his or her official Catholic confirmation. Most Indians in missions didn't live long enough to get confirmed. So Indian family members were kept apart.

Studies have found that adult Indians in missions only lived a few years and children usually died in less than two years. Death by disease is the usual cause of death given in records. Malnourished people living in grossly substandard shelter being worked 100 hours a week at hard labor usually are very weak and in poor health. Even a simple cold can be fatal.

Most larger missions had a death rate of around 500+ Indians a year (missions varied greatly in size). Do the math. In Texas, with about 5 missions running at any given year, times 100+ years in operation, times 500 Indian deaths equals 250,000 Indian deaths.

If things were so bad why were Indians in the missions? Many of them were rounded up by force and placed in the missions. Others came into the missions because the missions promised to protect and care for them. They did not know what was going on. Indians who tried to flee the missions were hunted down by solders, brought back the missions and severely punished for running away.

Sources, "A Small Matter of Genocide" and

"The California Missions"

See also:

Last edited:
There is also one that runs through California.

It starts in San Diego, and runs north to the Bay Area. The route is marked with special highway signs, and most cities have an "El Camino" road.

image-asset.jpeg

This route was originally created to serve the missions in the region. Then later it became the basis of stagecoach routes, then roads and highways. US 101 follows most of the route

There is also one that runs through California.

It starts in San Diego, and runs north to the Bay Area. The route is marked with special highway signs, and most cities have an "El Camino" road.

image-asset.jpeg

This route was originally created to serve the missions in the region. Then later it became the basis of stagecoach routes, then roads and highways. US 101 follows most of the route
El Camino Real translates to "The King's Highway" and originally connected twenty-one missions of Alta California.

Forum List

Back