Spain: New Age Successes

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
This has been a terrific time for Spanish athletes.

The men's national soccer team led by Torres, Silva, and of course David Villa captured the 2010 World Cup trophy, topping multiple titans along the way.

Tennis phenoms Carlos Moya, Garbine Muguruza, and of course, Rafael Nadal, added much needed spice to the front-runner dominated sport (i.e., Roger Federer/Serena Williams).

NBA star Pau Gasol was Rookie of the Year and won 2 NBA championships with the L.A. Lakers.

Advertising for Spanish athletes is good for multiculturalism and globalization and is 'facilitated' by the modern marvel of television, which is ever-broadening audience interest in pluralism in professional sports.

So the question is, "Will pluralism politics benefit from the marvel of sports (or will capitalism seep in and make everything feel like an advertisement)?"

====

NADAL: I'm so proud of my achievements.
TRUMP: You're a tennis celebrity on television!
NADAL: It's a great time to be from Spain I think.
TRUMP: Americans really like you.

nadal.jpg

VILLA: The 2010 World Cup victory was important for Spain...
TRUMP: Yes, just as the 1982 World Cup soccer victory was monumental for Italy!
VILLA: Spanish athletes have really flourished.
TRUMP: It's great material for talk-shows now...

villa.jpg

GASOL: I won 2 NBA titles with the Lakers.
TRUMP: Who doesn't like Los Angeles?
GASOL: I'm happy to represent my nation of origin (Spain).
TRUMP: Welcome to the media age!

madrid.jpg

====
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/572475-top-5-best-known-current-spanish-athletes-in-the-world
SPANISH SPORTS ARTICLE

:dance:

The Difference is in the Demigods

It's interesting to note the huge differences between sports in America and sports in Europe (and even the rest of the world!).

American sports is very personality-rich, while European sports is much more skill-marketing oriented.

In America, we love 'oddball phenoms with strange talent/pizazz' (e.g., Thomas and the Pistons, Mike Tyson, John McEnroe, Elway and the Broncos, Lakers-Celtics, etc., etc.). In Europe and elsewhere, people appreciate 'skill-spotlights' (e.g., Maradona in 1986 World Cup, India-Pakistan cricket rivalry, Edberg-Becker rivalry, Real Madrid soccer titans, etc., etc.).

It would therefore be worthwhile to look at European attitudes towards 'personality-marketing' in the spotlight (e.g., "Do Spanish sports celebrities such as Pau Gasol cater to fan interests in 'personality glamour'?").

Here's a mock-dialogue between Jim Kelly (mighty QB of the heart-wrenching Buffalo Bills who lost 4 Super Bowls!) and Tom Brady (new age NFL titan and Patriots QB who's won 5 Super Bowls!) about sports-culture differences between Europe and America regarding 'personality potluck.'

Media has changed sports discussions, no?

====

KELLY: Americans appreciate victories...mostly.
BRADY: The era of free-agency changed the way profit-minded managers gauged sports-marketing.
KELLY: It was all for profits and endorsements, which is why people care more and more about victories.
BRADY: Yes, hot-shot talents are simply not as 'trusted' as tried-and-true consistent contributors.
KELLY: If you can win for your team, you'll earn big bucks in American sports!
BRADY: I can't believe we're so opposite, Jim. Your team's lost 4 Super Bowls, and my team has won 5!
KELLY: Bills fans don't mind lumping me with Fran Tarkenton (Vikings QB and star who lost multiple Super Bowls).
BRADY: Sports fans don't mind lumping me with Terry Bradshaw (Steelers QB who has won multiple Super Bowls!).
KELLY: We're like 'night-and-day,' you and I; I wonder if there is such a contrasting 'duo' in European sports.
BRADY: I doubt it; sports in Europe is much more team-oriented and/or nation-centric, so fans care less about 'personality.'
KELLY: Personality-marketing is under-valued, but maybe that's why America has not flourished in the automobile industry.
BRADY: Americans prefer 'basic values' to 'national pride,' so sports fans in America like predictability!
KELLY: Maybe a Detroit Pistons fan might wonder how media/sports is changing with the Gasol-included Lakers...
BRADY: Gasol is a good European athlete, and modern sports fans may focus on 'personality pitch.'
KELLY: This will mean that European athletes in the media spotlight will receive a great deal of 'personality fanfare'!
BRADY: I wonder what Spanish sports fans think of American fans cheering for the 4-loss Bills and the 5-win Patriots...

====

nfl3.jpg

Forum List

Back