Some insight about forum discussions...

Winston Smith

Mar 6, 2010
I've only been here for about a week, but i've noticed something about the discussions in the threads here that i wanted to ask about:

1. Discussions tend to get off-topic really quickly, usually after page 5....

2. Discussions to to get REAL personal between users even quicker...

i've only been active in the mid-east forums so it could be the subject itself....has anyone else noticed this and can explain it, or is it just me?

Depends on the topic and the temperament of the posters. Some are more quick to anger than others, some do their best to remain civil regardless of topic, some don't bother. As to the Middle East issues, their many here with very strong feelings, on both sides, when it comes to that region.

It's a sort of free speech zone. When speech is free, it can go where it will and can also get personal. That's the price of being able to say your own piece - you have to deal with what everybody else wants to say too. Even if it's off topic, even if it's idiotic, even if it's personal, no matter what so long as it's within what few rules exist here. Not much in this world is really "free".

If it bothers you that much, put the worst offenders on your ignore list and move on.

Don't knock threads going off-topic though. Some of the threads that get started around here are so lame that hijacking them is actually a public service. ;)

It's a sort of free speech zone. When speech is free, it can go where it will and can also get personal. That's the price of being able to say your own piece - you have to deal with what everybody else wants to say too. Even if it's off topic, even if it's idiotic, even if it's personal, no matter what so long as it's within what few rules exist here. Not much in this world is really "free".

If it bothers you that much, put the worst offenders on your ignore list and move on.

Don't knock threads going off-topic though. Some of the threads that get started around here are so lame that hijacking them is actually a public service. ;)

Hey look!

Shiny!!

bright_shiny.jpg

SCREW YOU GOLDCA.....oooohhh more shiny

political-pictures-sarah-palin-john-mccain-look-shiny-object.jpg

Forum List

Back