Social Security Payments Will Exceed Revenue in 2021

Easy fix.

Raise or eliminate the earnings cap.
Before taxing workers more, I'd like to see the waste, fraud and abuse of Social Security be aggressively pursued.

What would that be? People retiring with fake IDs saying they are 65 when they re 25?
Are you saying there isn't waste fraud and abuse wrt social security? One example is people who claim social security disability who are not disabled.

The Social Security Board of Trustees has just informed Congress that starting next year, Social Security (SS) payments will exceed payroll tax revenue, and that the SS reserve fund will run out by 2035:

Social Security payouts next year will exceed incoming revenue, according to a new Social Security Board of Trustees audit.

In their annual report to Congress, the trustees announced that in 2021 the cost of the Social Security program will for the first time since 1982 "exceed total annual income” – leading to a depletion of asset reserves that will run out completely by 2035. (
)

Do even a few Democrats wish they had not demagogued and blocked George W. Bush's sound SS reform proposal in 2005?

Simple fix. Just eliminate the War Department. That would be a win-win for 99% of Americans.

There is no such thing as the War Department, dumbass! It went away about 60 odd years ago.

The Social Security Board of Trustees has just informed Congress that starting next year, Social Security (SS) payments will exceed payroll tax revenue, and that the SS reserve fund will run out by 2035:

Social Security payouts next year will exceed incoming revenue, according to a new Social Security Board of Trustees audit.

In their annual report to Congress, the trustees announced that in 2021 the cost of the Social Security program will for the first time since 1982 "exceed total annual income” – leading to a depletion of asset reserves that will run out completely by 2035. (
)

Do even a few Democrats wish they had not demagogued and blocked George W. Bush's sound SS reform proposal in 2005?

Raise the retirement age to 72 for those under 30 and to 70 for those under 40.

)

And the republicans want a stop the payroll tax for a year. That will really help!!

It was OK when Obama did it, but now you have a problem allowing poor people to keep more of their money?

)

I think this prolonged government destruction of the economy could have something to do with this

Easy fix.

Before taxing workers more, I'd like to see the waste, fraud and abuse of Social Security be aggressively pursued.

What would that be? People retiring with fake IDs saying they are 65 when they re 25?
Are you saying there isn't waste fraud and abuse wrt social security? One example is people who claim social security disability who are not disabled.

SSDI and SS come from completely different pots of money.

Easy fix.

There is plenty of waste fraud and abuse in all forms of Social Security. Whether they come from different pots of money or not, the pots are all filled by taxpayers.

Easy fix.

There is plenty of waste fraud and abuse in all forms of Social Security. Whether they come from different pots of money or not, the pots are all filled by taxpayers.

Oh, so you agree that your initial complaint was complete and total bullshit? Thank you for admitting that!

Easy fix.

Gawd but Republicans are stupid. These are the same people who spent $1 million dollars drug testing welfare recipients in Florida, and saved the taxpayers $100,000 in benefits going to those who tested positive. Social safety net programs are laden with the addition expenses of means testing, and costs for fraud prevention that far outweight the actual amounts of fraud going on.

Republicans assume fraud by the poor, and ignore fraud by the corporations. In fact they approved the loopholes that allow corporations to use taxpayer funded programs to augment poverty level wages in the most profitable corporations in America.

Start funding the people and stop funding large corporations. They're the problem, not the solution.

Easy fix.

Gawd but Republicans are stupid. These are the same people who spent $1 million dollars drug testing welfare recipients in Florida, and saved the taxpayers $100,000 in benefits going to those who tested positive. Social safety net programs are laden with the addition expenses of means testing, and costs for fraud prevention that far outweight the actual amounts of fraud going on.

Republicans assume fraud by the poor, and ignore fraud by the corporations. In fact they approved the loopholes that allow corporations to use taxpayer funded programs to augment poverty level wages in the most profitable corporations in America.

Start funding the people and stop funding large corporations. They're the problem, not the solution.

It's not the governments responsibility to "fund the people".

Get off your fat lazy fucking ass and get a job.

Easy fix.

That wouldn't help anyone! She's a Canadian!

)

You were hopelessly stupid if you expected to get any free shit if you weren't a boomer.

One of the worst programs in history of the United States. Voted in by the most selfish generation in history.

The Social Security system is yet another prime example of government ineptitude.

Not only have they raided it's funds for decades, when it was originally created the typical life expectancy of an American citizen was 62 years. Clearly they never bothered to consider that advancements in health and medicine might cause people to live longer and drain the system further.

Easy fix.

I got my first paper route when I was 11, and my second a year later. By the time I was 14, I lied about my age and got a part time waitressing job, and left that one for weekend job in a dry cleaning store. I worked my way through school working at that store, and I suckered tobacco in the summer for $20 an acre. I worked continuously all my life adult without ever being unemployed until 2008 - 48 years. I retired in 2016 to a small lakeside, resort town, where I live comfortably on the pensions I paid into for more than 55 years. And on the money I earn from a small home crafting business have on Etsy.

My ass is not fat, nor am I lazy. I have done more for the economy of the United States and Canada, that you can possible dream of, having worked on the Chrysler sale to Fiat, the Canada/USA truck tunnel between Detroit and Windsor, and other deals involving acts of Congress and Parliament.

I started my legal career clerking for a sole praticioner who shared office space with his father, and ended it working for some of the top real estate and business lawyers in the world, doing work which impacts the economies of nation.

I've earned my retirement, just as I earned my numerous promotions, raises and bonuses, and my position as a senior law clerk for one of the biggest law firms in world.

My ass isn't fat. I don't own a car so I walk or bicycle everywhere, and I swim two or three times a week in summer. I don't fit into the jeans I wore clubbing in the 1970's, but I can still get them on. And I'm still working.

Anything else you'd like to make a fool of yourself by assuming?

Easy fix.

I got my first paper route when I was 11, and my second a year later. By the time I was 14, I lied about my age and got a part time waitressing job, and left that one for weekend job in a dry cleaning store. I worked my way through school working at that store, and I suckered tobacco in the summer for $20 an acre. I worked continuously all my life adult without ever being unemployed until 2008 - 48 years. I retired in 2016 to a small lakeside, resort town, where I live comfortably on the pensions I paid into for more than 55 years. And on the money I earn from a small home crafting business have on Etsy.

My ass is not fat, nor am I lazy. I have done more for the economy of the United States and Canada, that you can possible dream of, having worked on the Chrysler sale to Fiat, the Canada/USA truck tunnel between Detroit and Windsor, and other deals involving acts of Congress and Parliament.

I started my legal career clerking for a sole praticioner who shared office space with his father, and ended it working for some of the top real estate and business lawyers in the world, doing work which impacts the economies of nation.

I've earned my retirement, just as I earned my numerous promotions, raises and bonuses, and my position as a senior law clerk for one of the biggest law firms in world.

My ass isn't fat. I don't own a car so I walk or bicycle everywhere, and I swim two or three times a week in summer. I don't fit into the jeans I wore clubbing in the 1970's, but I can still get them on. And I'm still working.

If you actually did all of that, why are you in need of a government tit to suck on?

Easy fix.

SS has been a rw talking point ever since it began - they pay ss taxes just like everyone else - they collect their ss money when the reach the age requirement just like everyone else -they know damn well ss isnt FREE GOVMT MONEY -

theyre just a bunch of whining rw idiots clinging to party line rhetoric, while they cash their ss check - hypocrites ALL

F'EM

Easy fix.

Do we raise or eliminate the benefits given to those who are no longer capped?

The system was designed to be equal, you pay in, you get out.
That's another problem a lot of people who didn't pay in, or paid in very little receive hundreds a month or more from Social Security.

Like who?

Social Security is an income redistribution plan in two ways: First, it transfers money from increasingly taxed working people (and employers) to retired people. Second, it it pays much greater benefits (when compared with contributions) to lower wage earners than higher wage earners, unless you are fortunate enough to have a non-Social Security job or exceed the maximum wage level.*

*This should be abolished for individuals, just as it already is for employer contributions.

Easy fix.

Do we raise or eliminate the benefits given to those who are no longer capped?

The system was designed to be equal, you pay in, you get out.
That's another problem a lot of people who didn't pay in, or paid in very little receive hundreds a month or more from Social Security.

Like who?

Social Security is an income redistribution plan in two ways: First, it transfers money from increasingly taxed working people (and employers) to retired people. Second, it it pays much greater benefits (when compared with contributions) to lower wage earners than higher wage earners, unless you are fortunate enough to have a non-Social Security job or exceed the maximum wage level.*

*This should be abolished for individuals, just as it already is for employer contributions.

Spoken by someone with little invested and plenty of time left in life to make other plans. Good luck with that! if things don't change, it looks like disability for me soon and then my social security to tide me over when I get older.

Forum List

Back