So when we are going to bomb the Ivory Coast?

And that what is so sad. The U.S. and other world leader dont see the value in Africa and Africans. I have personally seen the squalor they live in, and the diseases they live with, hell, the water they have to drink is disgusting. It makes you want to slap the shit out of people who piss and moan about haw bad they have it here. Thirst ? No one in this country has a clue what that is, its the same Hunger, no one in this country has a clue what starving is. But the one thing that blows me away, is that despite all the bad African still find it possible to smile, and find happiness in something . They are tough as woodpecker lips, and I feel would be a better cause to dump billions into.

I agree 110% my friend, people in the US complain if their are half an hour late going to lunch, none of us has any idea what true hunger is like in countries such as Somalia, Zimbabwe, the Ivory Coast etc, we give billions to countries like Egypt, Pakistan and Afghanistan where the people DESPISE Americans, they hate us and would not piss on us if we were on fire. I don't know how Africans feel about the US but I would much rather see us invest our money in Africa if we have to put it somewhere instead of the Middle East and Pakistan, those guys are ungrateful and don't appreciate the moneys we give them, the Africans would. I know we already give money and aid to African countries but they are definently not getting the attention the countries in the Middle East are getting.

All those I met loved Americans. Some of the things we do they find odd, but they do understand what work is. One problem with getting them money is all the "feed the children " scams perpetrated from this country, Bennie Henn and his ilk. All kinds of mission trips head over there. I highly recommend it if you have vacation time coming . It will change the way you see things. Just dont drink the water.

I have always wanted to go to Africa, when I was in the Military they sent me to the Middle East 2 times, once to Kuwait and Saudi Arabia, but a friend of mine was lucky and got to deploy to Djibouti, that is a small country in Africa on the border with Somalia and Ethiopia, he loved it there he said it was like being on a vacation, the locals loved having the Americans around. From what I hear Africans have no problem with the US for the most part unless they are radicalized Muslims like the ones in Nigeria and Somalia.

I agree 110% my friend, people in the US complain if their are half an hour late going to lunch, none of us has any idea what true hunger is like in countries such as Somalia, Zimbabwe, the Ivory Coast etc, we give billions to countries like Egypt, Pakistan and Afghanistan where the people DESPISE Americans, they hate us and would not piss on us if we were on fire. I don't know how Africans feel about the US but I would much rather see us invest our money in Africa if we have to put it somewhere instead of the Middle East and Pakistan, those guys are ungrateful and don't appreciate the moneys we give them, the Africans would. I know we already give money and aid to African countries but they are definently not getting the attention the countries in the Middle East are getting.

All those I met loved Americans. Some of the things we do they find odd, but they do understand what work is. One problem with getting them money is all the "feed the children " scams perpetrated from this country, Bennie Henn and his ilk. All kinds of mission trips head over there. I highly recommend it if you have vacation time coming . It will change the way you see things. Just dont drink the water.

I have always wanted to go to Africa, when I was in the Military they sent me to the Middle East 2 times, once to Kuwait and Saudi Arabia, but a friend of mine was lucky and got to deploy to Djibouti, that is a small country in Africa on the border with Somalia and Ethiopia, he loved it there he said it was like being on a vacation, the locals loved having the Americans around. From what I hear Africans have no problem with the US for the most part unless they are radicalized Muslims like the ones in Nigeria and Somalia.

They are good folk. And it would blow your ass away, but ware we were they loved Bush#2.

Some stuff on Nigeria- www.nigeria.gov.ng

Missions- Village Care International

Our churches trip pictures are not up. Any way, there is tons of opportunity to go. I plan on doing it again.

Thats awesome, what part of Nigeria do you go to? I heard the north is full of Islamic Militants who want Sharia law.

This is ware that majority of all Mission trips start. From there you will head out to the country and help dig wells or what ever here is a map of Jos.

jos nigeria - Google Maps

I am on my Churches website to try and find pics, but they are not up there. I will try and get some up. You do have to move around with armed guards, but everyone WE met was hospitable and kind. The kids were a blast.

Some stuff on Nigeria- www.nigeria.gov.ng

Missions- Village Care International

Our churches trip pictures are not up. Any way, there is tons of opportunity to go. I plan on doing it again.

Thats awesome, what part of Nigeria do you go to? I heard the north is full of Islamic Militants who want Sharia law.

This is ware that majority of all Mission trips start. From there you will head out to the country and help dig wells or what ever here is a map of Jos.

I am on my Churches website to try and find pics, but they are not up there. I will try and get some up. You do have to move around with armed guards, but everyone WE met was hospitable and kind. The kids were a blast.

Good on you for going over there and helping out. :thup:

Good on you for going over there and helping out. :thup:

Make the trip if you can. You wont regret it.

People in the Ivory Coast are being killed by a tyrant, so when we are sending our cruise missiles and fighter jets over there? supposedly we are bombing Libya to do the right thing and help people, so we need to get over to the Ivory Coast and help those folks as well.

Civilians Die as Ivory Coast Braces for a Defeated President's Last Stand

ivory_coast_a_0324.jpg

Read more: Ivory Coast Braces for Civil War as Violence Escalates - TIME

Same reason we dont bomb Sudan or Mexico, there is no money in it.

You nailed it, if the Ivory Coast had oil we'd have the 101st Air borne in there so quick it would shatter the sound barrier.

Hell with oil they have chocolate!

Ivory Coast signs ICC accord, pledges no impunity

ABIDJAN, June 28 (Reuters) - Ivory Coast's justice minister pledged that no one who committed war crimes during a post-poll power struggle would escape justice, as he signed a cooperation accord on Tuesday with the International Criminal Court (ICC).

The ICC's deputy prosecutor Fatou Bensouda was in Abidjan on Tuesday to open an investigation into crimes committed by either side in a standoff between President Alassane Ouattara and former president Laurent Gbagbo after a Nov. 28 election.

Gbagbo's supporters complain that not a single member of Ouattara's camp has been arrested for alleged crimes, despite evidence of abuses by the former rebel troops.

Bensouda was due to meet Ivorian officials to discuss the ICC investigation, for which ICC chief prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo lodged a request with the ICC judges last week.

"Your presence ... is a strong signal that no one can commit a crime without being found out and punished," Justice Minister Jeannot Ahoussou Kouadio said at the signing of the agreement.

Ivory Coast signs ICC accord, pledges no impunity | News by Country | Reuters

Ivory Coast charges two more officials from ousted regime

ALeqM5jHLw-Mj92ynnwSbClY0EjjA4n_vQ

ABIDJAN — Prosecutors in Ivory Coast said Friday they had charged two more loyalists of ousted president Laurent Gbagbo with corruption and undermining state authority.

Some 22 members of the former regime have now been charged since Gbagbo was seized by fighters loyal to his rival following a five-month post-election stalemate that the United Nations says left some 3,000 people dead.

Habiba Coulibaly, a spokeswoman for the prosecutor's office, said the two individuals, who she did not name, were charged and detained for diverting public funds and crimes against state security.

They are being held at La Pergola hotel in Abidjan, Coulibaly said.

Gbagbo remains under house arrest in the north of the country along with his wife and 13 other close associates.

His political rival, President Alassane Ouattara, pledged to investigate all crimes committed during the country's post-election crisis, regardless of the political loyalties of the perpetrators.

But rights groups have since accused Ouattara of pursuing selective justice by aggressively probing crimes committed by his adversaries, while ignoring the shady conduct of his loyalists.

The UN Human Rights Council said last month that investigators it sent to the country believe war crimes may have been committed by both sides.

AFP: I.Coast charges two more officials from ousted regime

^^ Nice

It's starting to look as though the horror is to be probed for human criminality and maybe worse deeds will be probed. Of course war crimes are committed by both sides and those in power will soften the effects by the very nature of their greater power.

This is to be expected. But even so, this is forwards looking and with a positive momentum, considering the past history.

^^ Nice

It's starting to look as though the horror is to be probed for human criminality and maybe worse deeds will be probed. Of course war crimes are committed by both sides and those in power will soften the effects by the very nature of their greater power.

This is to be expected. But even so, this is forwards looking and with a positive momentum, considering the past history.

Most definently, its time for the Ivory Coast to move forward and stop focusing so much on war and focus on developing their country, most countries in Africa need to start focusing on that.

^^ Nice

Most definently, its time for the Ivory Coast to move forward and stop focusing so much on war and focus on developing their country, most countries in Africa need to start focusing on that.

Good people, with lots of potential.

UN Urges Rapid Restoration of Order in Ivory Coast

abidjantoward-the-ocean2.jpg

The chief U.N. envoy for Ivory Coast said Monday there is a window of opportunity for the country's new government, but he also warned that there is a need for a rapid restoration of law and order throughout the country.

Choi Young-jin, the U.N. special representative for Ivory Coast, told the U.N. Security Council that by and large, the armed elements and supporters of former Ivory Coast president Laurent Gbagbo are not likely to mount a substantial challenge to law and order. Choi said the meltdown of Mr. Gbagbo’s forces bodes well for reconciliation in the country.

Mr. Gbagbo was defeated by his opponent Alassane Ouattara in Ivory Coast’s presidential election late last year but refused to give up office. A violent four-month power struggle ensued that displaced an estimated one million people. Mr. Gbagbo was captured at his residence by pro-Ouattara fighters in April and is now being held under house arrest.

U.N. representative Choi said authorities in Ivory Coast are doing their best to expedite the restoration of law and order throughout the country. He added that U.N. peacekeepers have taken measures to deal with what he termed “a certain degree of security deficit” in the country's west. The measures include the establishment of eight new military camps for the U.N. peacekeepers, four of them in the border area with Liberia.

“We feel confident, as President Ouattara and his team, who have shown remarkable patience and sang froid [calmness] during the crisis, are working day and night to successfully meet the post-crisis challenges for the benefit of the Ivorian people,” said Choi.

Also addressing the Security Council, Ivory Coast’s representative Youssoufou Bamba said real progress has been achieved in the country’s security situation. But, he said, there continue to be serious concerns about the situation in western Ivory Coast, particularly along the border with Liberia, where forces loyal to Gbagbo are active.

Bamba, speaking through a translator, said the government recognizes it cannot ensure security in Ivory Coast without United Nations help.

“This is indispensable support and assistance as we implement the goals of the government in order to put the country on the path of progress for the next six months,” said Bamba, through a transaltor.

The Ivorian representative denied reports that detained members of the Gbagbo government are being mistreated.

UN Urges Rapid Restoration of Order in Ivory Coast | Africa | English

Son of former Ivory Coast strongman charged

ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast (AP) — An official in Ivory Coast says 12 people including the son of the country's former strongman have been detained and charged over their actions during six months of postelection violence that left thousands dead.

Spokesman Noel Dje of the Abidjan constable's office said Wednesday the detainees include Michel Gbagbo and Pascal Affi N'Guessan, former head of the Ivorian Popular Front. He said some of the detainees face up to 20 years in prison for charges including challenging state security, xenophobia, rebellion and interfering with the military. Trial dates have not yet been set.

Dje says former leader Laurent Gbagbo and his wife will be charged but their case will be handled by the Ministry of the Interior.

Gbagbo's refusal to step down after his defeat in November presidential elections sparked the deadly postelection violence.

The Associated Press: Son of former Ivory Coast strongman charged

Ivory Coast: Hundred Cases Of Human Rights Violations

r-IVORY-COAST-HUMAN-RIGHTS-large570.jpg

ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast — The United Nations says 26 people were killed in the last month in Ivory Coast and that residents blame most of the killings on forces loyal to the president, who was sworn into office in May amid promises to guide the nation to recovery after months of postelection violence.

Local U.N. Human Rights Chief Guillaume Ngefa said Thursday that the killings happened in parts of the country loyal to former strongman Laurent Gbagbo. He says a 17-month-old child was among those killed.

He said that in the west, a pro-Gbagbo tribe attacked and killed locals. In other areas the U.N. reported deadly clashes between forces for President Alassane Ouattara and local youths. The U.N. also said armed robbers were killed in what appear to be acts of vigilante justice.

Presidential spokesman Alain Kakou said he did not know about the killings and declined to comment further.

Ngefa said regional U.N. offices also received more than 100 reports of human rights violations in the past month, including 85 arbitrary arrests and illegal detentions, along with cases of extortion and racketeering. He also said eight mass graves had been found in July in Abidjan, the economic hub, but that the number of bodies in the graves had not counted.

He said 11 cases of rape and genital mutilation were also reported, primarily in Duekoue, a Western city where a massacre took place over several days at the end of March. Amnesty International said in a May report that the killings were carried out by forces loyal to Ouattara.

"The human rights situation in the country remains precarious," he said.

Gbagbo's refusal to cede power after losing a November poll plunged the country into months of violence that killed thousands. He was arrested in April by forces loyal to Ouattara.

Thursday's account from the U.N. follows other reports that have accused forces loyal to Ouattara of abuses during the postelection crisis and after his inauguration.

A July report by Amnesty International accused Ouattara's Republican Forces of continuing to carry out violence and intimidation against ethnic groups perceived as having supported Gbagbo. A different report by Human Rights Watch released in June alleged that forces loyal to Ouattara killed up to 149 people believed to be Gbagbo supporters.

And an Associated Press report in July documented a slew of brutal killings the day after Ouattara's inauguration in an area loyal to Gbagbo near Liberia's border.

Ouattara has said that all who have been found to have committed atrocities would be punished, regardless of their affiliation.

Ivory Coast: Hundred Cases Of Human Rights Violations

Forum List

Back