So San Francisco...Golden Gate Bridge, world class cuisine, panoply of cultures,

I've spent a lot of time in that town, beautiful city, beautiful weather and some of the best seafood anywhere. Dropped a few bucks in the Fiddler's Green on the corner of Columbus and Beach.

I like that place. Nice little divey bar.

It gets a lot of tourists though, so close to the wharf.
Yea those déclassé trashy tourists.... I bet you never go to those trashy Walmart customer types places do you? You've got too much
CLASS and your nose is so far up in the air I bet you probably like this picture.
Pomposity thy name is ................ fill in the blank!
View attachment 48334

I think all that he was saying that at times it lacks the local flair.... There was a bar on Pier 39 called the Eagles Nest.. in the midst of all things tourist, it was this old hole in the wall... they ruined it. Went totally touristy.
"touristy"??? Again ONLY those "holes in the wall" are for the "non-tourist"?

I've spent a lot of time in that town, beautiful city, beautiful weather and some of the best seafood anywhere. Dropped a few bucks in the Fiddler's Green on the corner of Columbus and Beach.

Yea those déclassé trashy tourists.... I bet you never go to those trashy Walmart customer types places do you? You've got too much
CLASS and your nose is so far up in the air I bet you probably like this picture.
View attachment 48334

I think all that he was saying that at times it lacks the local flair.... There was a bar on Pier 39 called the Eagles Nest.. in the midst of all things tourist, it was this old hole in the wall... they ruined it. Went totally touristy.

Perhaps you live somewhere that no one wants to visit, and therefore don't understand how annoying having a local spot become overrun with tourists can be.

Either way, attempting to paint the desire to spend one's time in a place frequented by locals rather than out-of-towners as "elitist" is pretty stupid.

View attachment 48334

Perhaps you live somewhere that no one wants to visit, and therefore don't understand how annoying having a local spot become overrun with tourists can be.

Either way, attempting to paint the desire to spend one's time in a place frequented by locals rather than out-of-towners as "elitist" is pretty stupid.

I just find that the most pompous "elitist" anti-tourists people are the ones that are the most provincial.

View attachment 48334

That's not all what I meant.... look, I live here in New Orleans... we have some nice touristy places. But a lot of are just tourist traps. The food sucks, the service sucks, etc. They have no local flair.

And for the record, some of the biggest assholes I've met here are from out of town. They're always the ones caught pissing or vomiting in the street, dropping their pants or generally, just being plain annoying.

And for the record, some of the biggest assholes I've met here are from out of town. They're always the ones caught pissing or vomiting in the street, dropping their pants or generally, just being plain annoying.

I would imagine that's what it would be like living in New Orleans and dealing with the type of tourists you guys get.

I may or may not have been one of those tourists vomiting in the streets there, at a point in my life.

Last edited:

Generally speaking locals act better because there's a good chance they'll be seeing you again.

Generally speaking locals act better because there's a good chance they'll be seeing you again.

Well, there is that... plus we're professionals... it ain't our first rodeo when it comes to partying.

:)

the epitome of class and sophistication. Also a "sanctuary city" being the compassionate people they are.
Just watch where you walk though in Frisco (I wrote that to piss San Franciscans off!) because you may see the left behinds of people like the below!

More specifically, aggressive panhandling and homeless defecating and urinating in public. And sometimes doing even worse things.
With the holiday shopping season coming, and Super Bowl 50 right behind, the city by the bay will be in the national spotlight once again, and so will images like those above.
How to solve San Francisco's homeless pooping problem

View attachment 48327

Well as a San Franciscan, I am not 'pissed off'- I am used to these kinds of posts.

First of all the acknowledgement
  • We do have a homeless problem- totally unrelated to being a sanctuary city- since we had the problem before we were a sanctuary city.
  • I have heard the same reports of defecation on the streets too- and certainly we should deal with it.
That being said- having lived here for over 20 years- never seen defecation in public happen. I have seen urination in public- usually drunks leaving bars at night. And in my neighborhood there is essentially 1 homeless man- used to be 2, one of them disappeared a year or two ago. I wish I knew how to help our guy out- he is harmless- and pretty out of it mentally. We are doing him no favors letting him live outdoors.

Spokane is listed as a sanctuary city. Not compassionate, so much, though.

spikes.png

San Francisco has always had a large number of homeless people, for a number of reasons.

1. The climate. This is the biggest draw - it's never too hot, and never too cold. It rarely rains.

2. San Francisco is a wealthy, liberal city. A good panhandler or busker can make a decent amount of money each day.

3. A significant percentage of San Francisco's homeless are young people, many who have chosen to be homeless. The city has a romantic history of beatniks and hippies that these young people are attempting to emulate.

Most of these homeless are of the 'addict, drunk or crazy' variety.

There are plenty of them, too. But if you walk down to the end of Haight, most of those guys are just kids who think it's cool to be a hobo.

As you probably know- there are several different 'populations' of homeless- the ones you are speaking about also include lots of runaways- and lots of the runaways come with their own issues- often abuse in home and drug abuse.

But yes- a fair number of those- compared to the ones in the Tenderloin or along Market- tend more towards the 'hobo' than the mentally ill.

Ill probably grab a beer at the Chieftan tonight. Or Tempest if I want to see a fist fight. Nothing says a good time like half off PBR.

I don't go out to bars that much anymore. Chieftan I am familiar with- Tempest I have never been too.

I tend to go to beer bars now- the Toronado if I am in the neighborhood.

View attachment 48334

I used to live and work in the North Beach area and it's just a fact that the tourist heavy parts of the year are frustrating. When the line of cars to go over Lombard stretches all the way past Van Ness and cars are stopped in the middle of every intersection so there's no way to go around, when the tourists are standing in the middle of the road to take pictures (sometimes on hills where cars coming down have no visual of them until the last minute), when they're walking around Fisherman's Wharf in groups of 20 with no sense of residents trying to get things done around them, etc. etc. etc. I've always avoided Union Square whenever possible for the same reasons. I don't mind that they're visiting SF (actually, I love it, SF is so beautiful I don't mind sharing it at all), but the day in day out in your face dealing with tourists can wear a person down over time.

It is pretty funny though to see them all walking around in shorts and an SF sweatshirt that they had to buy because they thought "California in the summer" when they were packing. Karl's here to ruin your warm vacation hopes and dreams.

I have never shit on any side walk, like they apparently do in San Francisco with metronomic regularity.

I suppose they know better than me, but it seems the San Fran Shitter in the picture has taken a position that is unlikely to lead to a fortuitous outcome.

Are they too stupid or cracked out to squat in San Francisco?

By the way, a writer, maybe Hemingway, one of his vintage, said there were "three great cities in America...New York, New Orleans, and San Francisco....and all the rest are just Cleveland".

But, that might have been before street-shitting got to be so common in San Fran.

I have never shit on any side walk, like they apparently do in San Francisco with metronomic regularity.

I suppose they know better than me, but it seems the San Fran Shitter in the picture has taken a position that is unlikely to lead to a fortuitous outcome.

By the way, a writer, maybe Hemingway, one of his vintage, said there were "three great cities in America...New York, New Orleans, and San Francisco....and all the rest are just Cleveland".

But, that might have been before street-shitting got to be so common in San Fran.

It's not that common in the majority of SF. I've never seen it.

The Tenderloin is kind of it's own beast though.

It's not that common in the majority of SF. I've never seen it.

The Tenderloin is kind of it's own beast though.

I have lived here over 20 years- never seen it once.

Not saying it doesn't happen, or that steps should be taken to prevent it.

Like getting the mentally ill off the streets and providing more public restrooms.

Forum List

Back