So much for tracking the Z visas

red states rule

May 30, 2006
Correct me if I am wrong, but the government promises they will be able to track immigrants who get the new "Z visas" and will be able to track those who have to return home and apply to get back into the conutry.

They can't even process passposrts from US citizens!

U.S. begs for passport workers
By Nicholas Kralev
June 25, 2007
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The State Department has issued an urgent call to its diplomats worldwide to volunteer for monthlong assignments in U.S. passport offices, offering to pay their expenses if they return home and help clear a backlog of 3 million passport applications that has forced thousands of Americans to cancel trips abroad this summer.

In a cable to all Foreign Service personnel on Friday, Undersecretary of State for Management Henrietta H. Fore asked in a desperate plea for 100 diplomats with consular experience to "serve our citizens here at home" for the next two months.

"We are looking for two tranches of 50 Foreign Service officers each to staff passport-adjudication shifts, most of which will be afternoon-evening shifts," Mrs. Fore wrote in the cable, a copy of which was obtained by The Washington Times.

"Most volunteers will go to the National Passport Center in New Hampshire in the months of July and August. We may bring others to Washington."

The unprecedented demand for passports resulted from a law that entered into force at the beginning of the year, requiring all American citizens to present a passport upon returning home by air from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

The State Department has acknowledged that it grossly underestimated the number of Americans who would need a passport.

Huge lines snake in front of passport offices across the country, and Mrs. Fore said the department receives thousands of applications a day.

for the complete article

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070625/FOREIGN/106250023/1001

Actually the other day this issue was brought to mind. My son is going on a cruise in August, he needed a passport. He was born here, so were both parents and all four grandparents. He's never been arrested. Only 23 years old. He's had the same SS # since less than 1 month old. Because he couldn't wait over 3 months, he paid over $200 to expedite.

How will that 24 hour deal work? :confused:

Actually the other day this issue was brought to mind. My son is going on a cruise in August, he needed a passport. He was born here, so were both parents and all four grandparents. He's never been arrested. Only 23 years old. He's had the same SS # since less than 1 month old. Because he couldn't wait over 3 months, he paid over $200 to expedite.

How will that 24 hour deal work? :confused:

Perhaps if he was an illegal, he could have gotten his papers without having to pay the $200. He would have gone to the front of the line

How the hell will the government track the illegals, when they can't provide the services to US citizens we are already paying for?

New Topics

Forum List

Back