So...I got pulled over today...

You're really easy to fall prey to nonsense like this.. UZis not illegal in the US either and it's THAT level of firearm that is subject to rules and licensing similar to the UK.. Not much diff.. The DIFF really is 6.5 guns per 100 Brits versus 101 guns per American..

That is because you cannot POSSESS a rifle that cannot be STORED at a gun club in the UK unless you are extremely RURAL and Agricultural and need to fend off whatever predators lurk in the UK.

I have COYOTES and bobcats in my suburban estate and MANY Americans face WORSE threats from unruly mountain lions, bear and nasty elk that get an urge to kill you when you're in the way..

There's no comparison because America's violence problem is NOT rifles and shotguns, it's cheap handguns used largely by inner city gangs for drive-bys and retribution.. SO -- the occurrence of violent crime with ANY kind of long gun is LESS than the occurrence of violence with KNIVES.. iNCLUDING murder.

Whereas now in Jolly Olde OLD world - They now PROTECT criminals from homeowners whom which they prey -- those 101 guns per 100 Americans deters 100s of thousand of crimes per year.

I belong to Skeet/SPortiung clays club.. I CHOSE to use the same semi-auto 5 shot magazine shotgun that I use for home defense.. That option does NOT EXIST in Jolly Olde...
Nope, generally, 99.9% of Americans don't know what guns we can own in the UK. They fall for the same fallacy that guns are banned. There's a rifle gun range and club near to the city where I live, I've been there clay pigeon shooting. Some guys there own shotguns and various rifles, and live in the city. It's not just a country pastime.

Shotgun licences, even kids as young as nine on farms have these.

I'm not sure why, but Americans, in general, are hell bent on trying to put Brits down about guns, I can only assume they have to try and fullfil a macho image. Most Brits don't bother with guns, yet most would likely qualify for a shotgun and/or firearms licence if they were interested.

I used to have a shotgun licence, but I no longer bother. If I feel the need to shoot a gun, I just go to the many outlets that have a clay pigeon range and use theirs. When I went to shoots, that's when I bothered owning my own shotgun.

Nope, generally, 99.9% of Americans don't know what guns we can own in the UK. They fall for the same fallacy that guns are banned. There's a rifle gun range and club near to the city where I live, I've been there clay pigeon shooting. Some guys there own shotguns and various rifles, and live in the city. It's not just a country pastime.

It's simple. You're SOOO FAR from having firearms ownership in UK -- that you THINK you have the ability to own even AUTOMATIC WEAPONS if you can get licensed. Not many Americans CARE about machine guns or tanks or heavy military weapons.

All ya gotta do is CITE the f-ing laws... It's not difficult. From the Wikipedia..

The act was created in response to the Snowdrop Petition following the Dunblane Massacre. The previous Conservative government had followed the recommendations of the Cullen Report on the massacre and introduced the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997 that banned "high calibre" handguns, greater than .22 calibre (5.6 mm). This new (No. 2) act further banned the private possession of all cartridge ammunition handguns, regardless of calibre.

The only handguns still allowed following the ban were:

• Antique and muzzle-loading black-powder guns
  • Guns of historic interest whose ammunition is no longer available ("Section 7.1" weapons)
  • Guns of historic interest with current calibres ("Section 7.3" weapons)[note 1]
  • Air pistols[note 2]
  • Guns which fall outside the Home Office definition of "handguns".[note 3]
  • Pistols used by hunters for humane dispatch
  • The Act does not extend to Northern Ireland, where firearms regulations differ due to the Troubles. Northern Ireland law allows pistols for use as personal protection weapons, mainly by retired police or prison officers, but also prominent figures who were considered at risk.
No handgun rights left there at all is there?

As for long guns -- the storage and transport laws are SO onerous -- most folks keep any long guns they own AT THE CLUBS..

And if you are reported to favor too much alcohol on occasion or your marriage is rocky -- all guns in that household are confiscated and held by authorities..

Which is easy -- because only about 4% of British households HAVE a weapon in it..

...in Indiana. I was speeding...75 in a 65. State policeman (solo) and I hit the off ramp.

I am armed.

Officer comes up to the door...asks me to open it (it's a semi... this is common).

He tells me what he pulled me over for...I tell him I have a legal firearm in the truck.

Officer (O) "I'm all for law abiding citizens carrying legal firearms. Do you have a permit?"

Me: "Yes."

O: "Are you planning on shooting me?"

Me: "Absolutely not."

O: "Licence, registration and permit please"

Me: [paperwork, logs, bills, yada, yada]

O: "where is the firearm?"

Me: "it is [redacted]"

O: "ok...please slowly place it on the dashboard" [officer places his hand on his holstered service firearm]

Me: [three finger pinch hold...keep the barrel pointing away from the officer...slowly on the dash]

Officer: "perfect."

More yada yada...the boring business of being pulled over in a commercial vehicle.

Officer: "Is that a (type of gun...honestly can't remember what but it wasn't what I have)?"

Me: "No, it's a [redacted]. Would you like to see it?"

O: "I would...but I better not...people would see and get all freaked out. Wait here... I'll be back in a few minutes."

<A few moments later>

O: "ok...I issued you a warning. Keep it under 65 and be safe."

Me: "Thank you Sir... Have a good day."

This concealed weapon owner was shot and killed.

Cop was acquitted of all charges.

That's not right.. Shouldnt have happened. When you are legally carrying, as he was, you need to communicate to completely defuse the situation.. Just as the cops are trained to "defuse and de-escalate".. There's no room for misunderstandings on your part.

Castile did most of that. The stuff went wrong when AFTER properly telling the cop about the weapon -- he should have told the cop WHERE the weapon was and where his hands were going... The cop is not a fortune teller.

I know this seems petty.. It doesn't excuse the outcome. But when you take the RESPONSIBILITY to own and carry, you have to go out of the way to AVOID misunderstandings.

Actually, it was this event that really got me to thinking about these type of encounters with police.

After I told the officer I had a LEGAL firearm...I didn't move. I kept my hands in view. When he asked me where it was...I told him without moving my hands at all. Then waited for him to tell me what he wanted me to do.

At first he said to keep my hands in his sight...but eventually he thought it best to have the firearm where he could see it.

Worked out fine.

With two officers I suspect they would have had me exit the vehicle and one would have kept his attention on me , the other would have secured the firearm.

But with just one officer he would be forced to split his attention...and having me exit and him reaching in would have put me behind him.

Anyhow...moral of this post...once you inform the officer you have a firearm...IMO...you should then do absolutely nothing until instructed by the officer.

And FTR...that officer handled that interaction very poorly.

He SHOULD have said "don't move" or "don't reach for anything" or "stop and place your hands on the wheel"...

But Mr. Castile also needed to give the office time to think...to process the situation and work out alternatives.

JMO...YMMV.

Forum List

Back