Snowden: Putin must be called to account on surveillance just like Obama

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
I questioned the Russian president live on TV to get his answer on the record, not to whitewash him

On Thursday, I questioned Russia's involvement in mass surveillance on live television. I asked Russia's president, Vladimir Putin, a question that cannot credibly be answered in the negative by any leader who runs a modern, intrusive surveillance program: "Does [your country] intercept, analyse or store millions of individuals' communications?"

I went on to challenge whether, even if such a mass surveillance program were effective and technically legal, it could ever be morally justified.

In his response, Putin denied the first part of the question and dodged on the latter. There are serious inconsistencies in his denial – and we'll get to them soon – but it was not the president's suspiciously narrow answer that was criticised by many pundits. It was that I had chosen to ask a question at all.

I was surprised that people who witnessed me risk my life to expose the surveillance practices of my own country could not believe that I might also criticise the surveillance policies of Russia, a country to which I have sworn no allegiance, without ulterior motive. I regret that my question could be misinterpreted, and that it enabled many to ignore the substance of the question – and Putin's evasive response – in order to speculate, wildly and incorrectly, about my motives for asking it.

The investigative journalist Andrei Soldatov, perhaps the single most prominent critic of Russia's surveillance apparatus (and someone who has repeatedly criticised me in the past year), described my question as "extremely important for Russia". According to the Daily Beast, Soldatov said it could lift a de facto ban on public conversations about state eavesdropping.

Vladimir Putin must be called to account on surveillance just like Obama | Edward Snowden | Comment is free | theguardian.com

Let me just say for the record how shocked I am that Snowden's critics have for some reason failed to praise him for doing exactly what they've been asking him to do for months: Criticize Putin for his spying. Perhaps they were simply unaware, and will now flock to this thread to congratulate Snowden on this new act of bravery.

Putin isn't spying like obama is. Not even close. Russia was a totalitarian dictatorship at one time. The United States is a totalitarian dictatorship NOW.

Snowden is a Patsy. There is a gulag waiting for him when he is no longer useful.

What Russian laws did he break? Russia has no interest at all, in persecuting Americans that the United States government has singled out. If you think there's a gulag because President Putin wants to show how loyal he is to obama, you need to educate yourself.

How long until Snowden is tossed out of Russia?

Considering his asylum is up in a few short months it might not be long.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

And Russia has a huge interest in returning Snowden to the US because ..... Why is that again?

If you really think that Russia is going to send Snowden back, then you need to get up to speed.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/24/world/europe/russia-snowden/index.html

Now Russia says it will continue to extend asylum protections to Snowden and won't send him back home.

That word came Friday from Alexy Pushkov, a legislator who is head of the Foreign Affairs Committee in the Duma, Russia's lower house. He spoke about Snowden at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

Last edited:
How long until Snowden is tossed out of Russia?

And Russia has a huge interest in returning Snowden to the US because ..... Why is that again?

Russia has no interest in returning Snowden to the U.S., but, that being said, if Snowden is going to publicly question Putin and then denounce him in op-eds then Putin might decide he has even less interest in keeping him.

Russia has no interest in returning Snowden to the U.S., but, that being said, if Snowden is going to publicly question Putin and then denounce him in op-eds then Putin might decide he has even less interest in keeping him.

Oh please. Snowden didn't denounce Putin. Can't you recognize a set up when you see one? The questions were to give President Putin a forum so he could say that Russia doesn't spy like the US does.

Snowden is a Patsy. There is a gulag waiting for him when he is no longer useful.

What Russian laws did he break? Russia has no interest at all, in persecuting Americans that the United States government has singled out. If you think there's a gulag because President Putin wants to show how loyal he is to obama, you need to educate yourself.

Russia makes up laws as it goes along. What ever serves the oligarchs.

Obama is irrelevant to Snowden being a useful idiot patsy. Kind of sad in a way.

Oh please. Snowden didn't denounce Putin. Can't you recognize a set up when you see one? The questions were to give President Putin a forum so he could say that Russia doesn't spy like the US does.

Did you even read Snowden's op-ed?

Are you saying Russia has a free press and we don't? Yes. I agree with that. I read Snowden's op ed and find that it was a vehicle to again impress upon the evil obama regime's spying by appearing even handed with Russia.

Are you saying Russia has a free press and we don't? Yes. I agree with that. I read Snowden's op ed and find that it was a vehicle to again impress upon the evil obama regime's spying by appearing even handed with Russia.

And you can't see where Snowden denounced Putin by essentially claiming that he lied in his answer to Snowden's question?

And you can't see where Snowden denounced Putin by essentially claiming that he lied in his answer to Snowden's question?

No. I see a carefully crafted piece that offers mild comments regarding Putin, to justify serious and well deserved attacks against obama. You are comparing a relatively free country as Russia to the far more despotic United States with Russia saying "See we allow criticism of our president!"

There was recently an anti Putin demonstration in Moscow because every government has dissenters. There was no Russian law maker that showed up and called the dissenters domestic terrorists. Snowden is allowed to criticize Putin, but he couldn't here. Everything seems to be designed to put the US in as bad a position as possible. Not that the US doesn't deserve it.

No. I see a carefully crafted piece that offers mild comments regarding Putin, to justify serious and well deserved attacks against obama. You are comparing a relatively free country as Russia to the far more despotic United States with Russia saying "See we allow criticism of our president!"

There was recently an anti Putin demonstration in Moscow because every government has dissenters. There was no Russian law maker that showed up and called the dissenters domestic terrorists. Snowden is allowed to criticize Putin, but he couldn't here. Everything seems to be designed to put the US in as bad a position as possible. Not that the US doesn't deserve it.

To say that either the U.S. or Russia is more despotic than the other makes no sense, and I have a feeling it's based more on your dislike of Obama than any objective evidence. Regardless, Russia is at least as bad as the U.S.

You also misconstrued the point of the question, likely because I suspect you did not read or did not comprehend Snowden's op-ed. The purpose was not to show that Putin allows carefully crafted "dissent," but was Snowden going rogue and asking a tough question of Putin in a very public venue to hear his response. Snowden then condemned that response as being untruthful. If you think Putin is happy about that then you're crazy.

Forum List

Back