Smokin' supper...mmm....

86795604-529d-44be-814d-6802e8767e42_zpsc2b1c72f.jpg

Nothing new...a small pork roast for pulled pork sammiches...but it looked so good I thought I'd share it anyway.

Last edited:
104945b9-961b-4671-b6f6-ccd3e8c600a6_zps5e950869.jpg

Smoked it for 7 hours mopping every hour to 180 degrees, then I double foiled it and wrapped it in towels and coolered it for 2 hours.

It came out falling apart moist and delicious.

Wrapped in towels? What's that all about.

It's called "coolering". It is a technique used to allow temperature retention without additional heat. The BBQ'd roast or brisket can continue to break down fat and collagen without becoming dried out from continued exposure to heat and smoke. It also replaces the resting period, as the eventual reduction of internal temperature allows for gradual redistribution of juices. It also allows the meat to be stored until meal time...so you can start early, finish early and keep your roast or brisket hot until it is needed. That's a plus when you want BBQ for a party or company.

I have only been using this technique for the last couple of months, but I have to say, it has improved both the tenderness and juiciness of my brisket and pork roasts.

Once my pork roast reaches 180+ degrees, I pull it off the BBQ and double wrap it in HD foil, then I wrap it in a couple of towels and place it in a beer cooler small enough that the wrapped roast takes up most of the cooler...like 90%. I use a 24 pack cooler, and if there is extra room, I stick in an extra towel or two. These towels are dedicated to this purpose...once they are washed, I stick them back in the empty cooler.

I leave the roast in the cooler for two to four hours but you can keep it coolered longer. Mine have come out piping hot...usually still too hot to handle, after four hours.

The only trade off I have found is that the bark gets somewhat soggy...but I can live with that.

I haven't tried it with ribs yet, but with both brisket and pork roast, it has been a resounding success.

Last edited:
Authentic Southern Pulled Pork Po'Boy:

IMAG0406_zpsea00a186.jpg

BBQ'd pork roast, no crock pot.

IMAG0407_zps2885cedc.jpg

Homemade North Carolina Sauce.

IMAG0408_zps7be1bd3a.jpg

Homemade horseradish cole slaw.

IMAG0409_zpsd55871f2.jpg

MMM-mmm good. Hungry yet?

Last edited:
Made Brisket for our Memorial Weekend get-together yesterday.

1f80f59e-9d8c-4088-b0af-0690f96e0d64_zpsbc048366.jpg

bd1a3e2f-0d0e-46cc-b2d0-088eb3251c2d_zpsb913c171.jpg

5a88f7f4-8d7a-40e7-9e96-4f805769b31a_zps32f0fef3.jpg

This was the perfect combination of heat and sweet.

I tried something new with this brisket...I usually just use a dry rub, but here I used a yellow mustard base and rubbed Ploughboys Bovine Bold over it.

I used this beer based mop but substituted 12 shakes of hot sauce for cayenne pepper and added 1/2 cup brown sugar.

This brisket turned out perfect and delicious, one of the best flavor profiles yet. :thup:

Last edited:
86795604-529d-44be-814d-6802e8767e42_zpsc2b1c72f.jpg

Nothing new...a small pork roast for pulled pork sammiches...but it looked so good I thought I'd share it anyway.​

Oh my...I fixed one of these this weekend; only it was a pretty big shoulder roast. I've never smoked before..I haven't even barbecued much for years and years...but I got a cheap charcoal barbecue for Mother's day so I hit it!

Used mesquite and cherry wood, smoked for about 12 hours, I believe...wrapped it up in foil for...maybe 20 minutes, lol.

We didn't pull it...I left it whole and sliced off of it...next one I'm pulling and I'll probably can half of it.

It fed my grown son all weekend long..that was his go-to snack item, lol.

Smoking chicken, a photographic essay:

The set up:

018-2_zps0f2fa212.jpg

The smoke (cherry & mequite):

019-2_zps76db1df5.jpg

The meat; world's cheapest chickens ($.88/lb @ Safeway) They aren't pretty, and I had to seriously scrub them, but they'll do:

020-2_zps42e6a04e.jpg

Not done yet but looking good:

021-2_zps54ee6a0c.jpg

I cut off the skin around the cavity; I was a little overzealous perhaps. It was pretty ugly, and I just can't get behind pinfeathers, even if they are smoked.

Unless you live in Washington..in which case he's going to sic the IRS on you.

Smoking chicken, a photographic essay:

The set up:

018-2_zps0f2fa212.jpg

The smoke (cherry & mequite):

019-2_zps76db1df5.jpg

The meat; world's cheapest chickens ($.88/lb @ Safeway) They aren't pretty, and I had to seriously scrub them, but they'll do:

020-2_zps42e6a04e.jpg

Not done yet but looking good:

021-2_zps54ee6a0c.jpg

I cut off the skin around the cavity; I was a little overzealous perhaps. It was pretty ugly, and I just can't get behind pinfeathers, even if they are smoked.

Mmm-MMM, that looks mouthwateringly delicious. :eusa_drool:

I think the pork is more sublime though....

The chicks are in the fridge now, the kids put off the trip for another day so it's just me and I filled up on my homemade bread, haha. I had a couple of bites, very good.

Nice to see someone else posting in this thread. :thup:

I know more of you are Q-ing...grab your camera and share you masterpiece.

Forum List

Back