Sikh student sues Army to get into ROTC

SteadyMercury

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2013
Sikh student says he should be able to join ROTC - UPI.com
WASHINGTON, Nov. 14 (UPI) -- A Sikh student at Hofstra University has sued the U.S. Army, saying he should not be forced to choose between the ROTC and his religious practices.
Iknoor Singh, a sophomore, was told he could only enlist in the Reserve Officers Training Corps if he cut his beard and hair and stopped wearing a turban, the American Civil Liberties Union said. His lawsuit, filed in Washington, is also backed by the United Sikhs.

The lawsuit charges the Army is violating the Religious Freedom Restoration Act by forcing Sikhs and others whose religion makes demands that involve grooming or clothing to conform to Army regulations.
I hate shit like this, freedom of religion is fine practice what you want, but don't expect others to accommodate you by changing their standards of appearance for their organization.

What next a rastafarian wanting to join the army with shoulder length dreadlocks?

Should this guy be able to sue dude ranch for saying he has to wear a cowboy hat to work there?

My religion says i must wear a clown costume, including a rubber ball on my nose. Its cool if i serve in the military too, right?

If he is suing under the Religious Freedom Restoration Act he will surely lose. He can't meet his burden.

Forum List

Back