Signs of support for Islamic State rattle cosmopolitan Istanbul

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
I think that if many are honest with themselves, they would agree that there are many Muslims who are actually championing ISIS. I see that the one of those already has answered a post of mine since I received an Alert. How frustrating it must be to conduct his Jihad in front of the computer because he can't get out. No doubt he will respond to this post with his usual ridiculous nonsense.

Oct 14, 2014 16:25 IST

#Arab allies #Arab countries #home-grown terror #IS #ISIL #ISIS #Islamic State militants #islamic-state #Istanbul #NewsTracker #Obama #Syria #Turkey #US

0 Comments

Istanbul: Istanbul University student Aysegul Korkut is outraged by the images coming out of Syria. But these days the Islamic State group's horrors seem closer to home: She recently faced off against masked supporters of the brutal militants on her own campus.

"I couldn't understand what was happening at first," the 21-year-old said of the moment she first spotted baton-wielding youths striding across the Department of Literature, shouting: "Allahu Akbar!" Within minutes, she and other leftist students had been sucked into a fight, with both sides hurling glass bottles at each other and trashing a science fair set up in the main hall.

An Islamic State fighter. Reuters image

"I was shocked," she said.

The September 26 clash, described to The Associated Press by Korkut and a half a dozen other university students, was the first in a series of fights at Istanbul University's Beyazit campus. There has been repeated violence since, and Turkish media have reported scores of arrests. On Monday alone 42 students were detained when police broke up a fight in a courtyard adjoining the department, the state-run Anadolou Agency reported. Several sticks — and a meat cleaver — were recovered from the scene.

Continue reading at:

Forum List

Back