Should Your DNA Data Be Used to Sell Products?

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Knowledge@Wharton: This is the first study that takes a look at how genetic data is influencing marketing. Why did you want to study this topic?

Gideon Nave: Over the past decade, there has been an exponential growth of the direct-to-consumer genetic testing market. This has led to accumulation of massive genetic databases by privately owned companies, such as 23andMe and Ancestry. These genetic datasets are commonly used in health care applications, such as informing consumers about genetic risks. However, we also noticed that marketing teams of several global firms started incorporating genetic data into marketing campaigns. For example, last year Spotify partnered with Ancestry and began to offer its users the ability to upload their data and create playlists that matched their genetic ancestry. AirBnB partnered with 23andMe to offer cultural trips and experiences that are tailored to one’s genetic heritage. Another prominent example is Aeromexico, which ran ads where they offered a discount matching one’s percentage of “Mexican DNA” (though we do not know for sure if such discounts were actually offered). So, the natural motivation for us was to evaluate what can actually be done with genetic data from a marketing standpoint.

This is part of an interview with Gideon Nave and Remi Daviet. They wrote a paper that I can't access.

Using DNA for marketing is creepy.

Knowledge@Wharton: This is the first study that takes a look at how genetic data is influencing marketing. Why did you want to study this topic?

Gideon Nave: Over the past decade, there has been an exponential growth of the direct-to-consumer genetic testing market. This has led to accumulation of massive genetic databases by privately owned companies, such as 23andMe and Ancestry. These genetic datasets are commonly used in health care applications, such as informing consumers about genetic risks. However, we also noticed that marketing teams of several global firms started incorporating genetic data into marketing campaigns. For example, last year Spotify partnered with Ancestry and began to offer its users the ability to upload their data and create playlists that matched their genetic ancestry. AirBnB partnered with 23andMe to offer cultural trips and experiences that are tailored to one’s genetic heritage. Another prominent example is Aeromexico, which ran ads where they offered a discount matching one’s percentage of “Mexican DNA” (though we do not know for sure if such discounts were actually offered). So, the natural motivation for us was to evaluate what can actually be done with genetic data from a marketing standpoint.

This is part of an interview with Gideon Nave and Remi Daviet. They wrote a paper that I can't access.

I agree, I'm reading Fair Warning, by Michael Connelly. It's a fiction novel but very interesting (copywrite 2020) and will make those of us who have had our DNA tested think before responding to the follow up questions since we don't know know who receives our data.

Last edited:
Creepy. “Creepy,” you say. I will show you what’s creepy.

DNA data will soon be used in selling health insurance policies. They have more money than the government, so your pricing will include it. Should it be is the question? I think we have no choice. Should it be used in every industry such as real estate for example? Real estate speculators would change the loan terms and prices on streets with higher cancer rates even if there is no environmental reason.

How, precisely, are they taking the sample?
I bet they taking the sample during circumcision.

You seem to be obsessed with that procedure. I really don't want to know why.
Today was the day of the circumcision of Jesus Christ. Apart from that, circumcision should limit the spread and multiplication of Jews. This would be by scientific biology. But since it doesnt, I conclude to postulate, that the reproductive mechanism of Jews is not what we expect, but rather that of a virus. The inefficacy of circumcision on Jews seems a good proof of this. Discuss. :)

Today was the day of the circumcision of Jesus Christ. Apart from that, circumcision should limit the spread and multiplication of Jews. This would be by scientific biology. But since it doesnt, I conclude to postulate, that the reproductive mechanism of Jews is not what we expect, but rather that of a virus. The inefficacy of circumcision on Jews seems a good proof of this. Discuss. :)

If you'd like to know how Jews reproduce, I suggest you ask your mother.

I'm sure she knows. We practice on the Shiksa.

If you'd like to know how Jews reproduce, I suggest you ask your mother.

I'm sure she knows. We practice on the Shiksa.
What is a shiksa? Shouldn't it be spelt shixa? Sounds perverted. But viruses are never in balance anyways.

This is just blatantly anti-semitic for the sake of being anti-semitic. What the heck is wrong with you?

Also, why would circumcision prevent reproduction? Do you even know what circumcision is and how humans reproduce?

This is just blatantly anti-semitic for the sake of being anti-semitic. What the heck is wrong with you?

Also, why would circumcision prevent reproduction? Do you even know what circumcision is and how humans reproduce?

Cabbage patch, right?

Forum List

Back