Should We Vote To End Slavery?

Independentthinker

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2015
I say yes and no. If you are incarcerated then you should pay for your keep either by working in the prison or paying a daily rate out of your own pocket. I don't care which. But, I'm not in favor of you being paid for working at the prison and keeping your money without paying taxpayers back. In fact, it's not even slavery if you are working at the prison and getting paid for it.

I say yes and no. If you are incarcerated then you should pay for your keep either by working in the prison or paying a daily rate out of your own pocket. I don't care which. But, I'm not in favor of you being paid for working at the prison and keeping your money without paying taxpayers back. In fact, it's not even slavery if you are working at the prison and getting paid for it.

Here is Tennessee's. I voted YES, this morning when PJ and I Early Voted.

Ballot title​

The official ballot title is as follows:[3]

Shall Article I, Section 33 of the Constitution of Tennessee be amended by deleting the section and substituting instead the following?

Section 33. Slavery and involuntary servitude are forever prohibited. Nothing in this section shall prohibit an inmate from working when the inmate has been duly convicted of a crime.[4]

Ballot summary​

The official ballot summary is as follows:[3]

This amendment would change the current language in article I, section 33 of the Tennessee Constitution, which says that slavery and involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a person who has been duly convicted of crime, are forever prohibited in this State. The amendment would delete this current language and replace it with the following language: “Slavery and involuntary servitude are forever prohibited. Nothing in this section shall prohibit an inmate from working when the inmate has been duly convicted of a crime.”[4]

Constitutional changes​

See also: Article I, Tennessee Constitution
The measure would repeal and replace Section 33 of Article I of the Tennessee Constitution. The following underlined text would be added and struck-through text would be deleted:[1]

That slavery and involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime, whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, are forever prohibited in this state.
Slavery and involuntary servitude are forever prohibited. Nothing in this section shall prohibit an inmate from working when the inmate has been duly convicted of a crime.[4]

Full text​

The full text of the measure can be found here.

Imprisoning criminals for breaking the law is not slavery.
Well, to be fair, they are talking about forcing prisoners to work. Can't have that though. We need to teach them that you don't need to work for Uncle Sam to take care of them and then release them back out into society.

Prisoners are paid about 25 cents an hour.

If a judge has ordered they pay restitution, that money goes directly to their victims.

When I was on active duty, most of our office furniture had been built by convicts.

Win/win.

Don't pay them. They should get a choice.

Work for the prison and earn yard time, TV time, and so on.

Or don't work and just sit in your cell.

I'm all for allowing a prisoner to learn a skill they can use on the outside for gainful employment.

Yeah, do it, punish those filthy kulaks. Just remember what can happen when we give government the omnipotent power to determine who is and is not . . . a filthy kulak. One day you might find a kulak staring back at you from a prison issue mirror.

When I retired in 2012 a normal cell-house convict made .35 cents a hour.....You know, sweeping the floor, cleaning the bathroom, and such. We even had a guy that all he did was clean the water fountains and microwaves. If they did not work they got nothing but their "free letter" and three hots and a cot.

Prison industries (street contract jobs) paid the prevailing minimum wage to start and it went up from there. Those were the only jobs fines/court costs, restitution, and child support came out of. We had AC/Delco and a optical lens lab.....Some long timers were making more than the officers.

Certain other jobs like maintenance (plumber/electrician) paid minimum wage and they could work toward journeyman as their boss was certified.

All convicts had the opportunity to earn a GED.

Consider that there is a huge industry in this country seeking to incarcerate more Americans for longer periods of time to increase their profits, and they have a lot of political power. Consider they've successfully lobbied to give the U.S. the highest incarceration rate on the planet. Consider that you are fully on their side in this debate.

Prisoners are paid about 25 cents an hour.

If a judge has ordered they pay restitution, that money goes directly to their victims.
Wonder how that works with the woke left claiming that forcing prisoners to work to pay restitution to their victims is slavery and shouldn't be allowed.

Consider that there is a huge industry in this country seeking to incarcerate more Americans for longer periods of time to increase their profits, and they have a lot of political power. Consider they've successfully lobbied to give the U.S. the highest incarceration rate on the planet. Consider that you are fully on their side in this debate.
Facts!

There should be no slave labor in the United States.

Forum List

Back