Should We Jack The Debt Limit ?

Any Responsible Leader would use each and every attempt to raise the Debt limit to argue for Spending cuts.

It's that simple. Obama and the Democrats do not actually believe our debt is an issue, they do not actually believe we need to get it under control. They are only interested in raising taxes, and spending more money, and nothing else.

Sure, they may want to spend the money on Noble, Social Programs, but they are ignoring Mathematical Reality. Their irresponsible spending, and Fiscal Policy will eventually destroy this country, and eliminate their ability to help anyone.

If we can't get the left to acknowledge that there is an event horizon - we are screwed. I have tried, but the closest I came is " a country can be irresponsible " With that reality - I am with Zander. The debt increase needs to be denied. It would reboot things; pain now, but stave off death!

Obama offered higher cuts at the beginning of this mess and Boehner said no.

And one more time - that's not what the debt ceiling is.

Obama never offered any cuts. Nothing in writing. Nothing concrete.

Only thing he said was give him more tax increases and no debt ceiling.

luddity only regurges talking points as they are sent to him.

We should eliminate the debt ceiling altogether. Since neither democrats nor republicans actually attempt to keep debt below sed ceiling, it only serves to destroy our credit and be a petty tool for partisan squabbles.

I disagree Amy. Despite the rhetoric about "Tax Fairness" the problem is not "income", it's spending. The Government is addicted to spending. They can't stop themselves! Case in point: In spite of the impending "FISCAL CLIFF" Congress still slathered $9 Billion more in pork spending onto the bloated $60 Billion "Sandy" Bailout. It's shameless!

Republicans need to exercise their power and refuse to raise the debt ceiling without MASSIVE spending cuts. The first step is to refuse to negotiate on the fiscal cliff- let it happen. Then get even deeper cuts afterwards. The cliff will be painful in the short term, but it's necessary! You can't fix a broken leg without resetting the bone.

Republicans spend just as much as dems, they have raised the debt ceiling just as many times as dems. I'd love to see some serious spending cuts, and a willingness to live within our means.

We should eliminate the debt ceiling altogether. Since neither democrats nor republicans actually attempt to keep debt below sed ceiling, it only serves to destroy our credit and be a petty tool for partisan squabbles.

I disagree Amy. Despite the rhetoric about "Tax Fairness" the problem is not "income", it's spending. The Government is addicted to spending. They can't stop themselves! Case in point: In spite of the impending "FISCAL CLIFF" Congress still slathered $9 Billion more in pork spending onto the bloated $60 Billion "Sandy" Bailout. It's shameless!

Republicans need to exercise their power and refuse to raise the debt ceiling without MASSIVE spending cuts. The first step is to refuse to negotiate on the fiscal cliff- let it happen. Then get even deeper cuts afterwards. The cliff will be painful in the short term, but it's necessary! You can't fix a broken leg without resetting the bone.

Republicans spend just as much as dems, they have raised the debt ceiling just as many times as dems. I'd love to see some serious spending cuts, and a willingness to live within our means.

We agree. Congress cannot stop spending. That is why we need the debt ceiling. It's all about checks and balances.

Except that the debt ceiling has failed as a "check" to government spending.

It is only now being used as the blunt instrument capable of doing so, and only when wielded in the hands of Tea Party style Republicans.

This is how the Budget Control Act of '11 went down. The beauty of the debt ceiling is that it REQUIRES legislation, and Obama cannot ignore it.

But as proved by the last election, Americans, in general, could really give two shits about the insurmountable national debt or our deficits. It is up to the stalwart Tea Party Republicans in the House to lead.

My prayers worked; how wonderful! What programs do you advocate cutting ?

Well, if you feel we need something in place, then the ceiling needs modernized. We aren't on the gold standard anymore. Having an arbatrary dollar amount really doesnt make sense.

I read an article that suggested switching to a % of debt per GDP would make more sense( and I agree) and would also encourage lawmakers to pass laws that foster growth instead of relying on raising the ceiling every time we get close.

My prayers worked; how wonderful! What programs do you advocate cutting ?

That, is a long list. I don't believe in sacred cows.

I'd start with the dept of Ed. and the TSA, work my way from there.

Forum List

Back