Should The Rich Be Required To Pay Higher Taxes In the US?

The bottom 47% pay what they are legally obligated to pay Trump paid what he was legally obligated to pay

I really can't understand why this baffles you so

IMO everyone should pay a flat percentage of their gross income and that's all
there is no, "bafflement" only the abomination of hypocrisy regarding the poor.

the right wing, makes it seem, like the poor are not capitally worth equal protection of the law with our current regime.
:link::link:
the Poor and Mr. Trump pay only the personal income taxes they are legally obligated to pay.

don't complain or whine; be Patriotic.

No link, just your opinion, that a $5 gets you a coffee at your liberal Starbucks. Back up your opinion, be Patriotic.
You're going to be very frustrated waiting for anything of substance from that one.

I don't get frustrated with Danny, he is a clown that entertains me. He just blathers nonsense and think he is smart, just like the other town idiots.

I think the rich should ABSOLUTELY pay more because the majority of them are selfish and don't care about anybody but themselves! Trust me, if you are a millionaire, it is NOT going to hurt you if you just pay a little more in taxes. I believe that if you are a good and righteous person, you would want to help the poor or people that are less fortunate. It's as simple as that! People need to stop being so selfish.
The rich do pay more. Liberals are pathetic.

I waited for eight years for Obama to address the billionaires, but he did as was told and sucked them off instead.

Simple rhetoric plays well with people like Matthew. He hears, "get the rich", and starts foaming at the mouth, but then his leadership lies to him and goes after small business owner instead of the billionaire club.

Spot on! It's easy to get the rich. It's divisive and pits rich against poor, let's the government off the hook. Pretty easy for the Democrats to do.
When are the Republicans going to stop being infidel, protestant, and renegade to their own, Republican Doctrine regarding our alleged, War on Drugs?
Obama ended the war on drugs? Fantastic news, I guess. Sigh...

I think the rich should ABSOLUTELY pay more because the majority of them are selfish and don't care about anybody but themselves! Trust me, if you are a millionaire, it is NOT going to hurt you if you just pay a little more in taxes. I believe that if you are a good and righteous person, you would want to help the poor or people that are less fortunate. It's as simple as that! People need to stop being so selfish.

Depends on what you consider rich.

I pull in roughly $130k a year and my wife makes little over $50k. At $180k we make enough for a comfortable life, but we still must have a tight budget it. When college comes around it is going to be tough to pay for it!

I honestly don't consider people making $250k a year rich!

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

I would consider a flat progressive tax. Meaning everyone pays the day tax for the same dollars.

0 to $25k = 0
$25 to $50k = 5%
$50k to $100k = 10%
$100k to $250k = 15%
$250k to $500k = 25%
$500k to $1 mil = 40%
$1 mil to $2 mil = 50%
$2 mil to $10 mil = 60%
$10 mil+ = 70%

Deduction: Child deduction, Charity donations, student loan payments and medical bills.

For example
Say you make $300k a year.
First $25k = $0
Next $25k = $1.25k
Next $50k = $5k
Next $150k = $22.5k
Last $50k = $12.5k
Total $41,250 on a 13.7% average rate.

Also tax capital gains in similar progressive tax

I would consider a flat progressive tax. Meaning everyone pays the day tax for the same dollars.

0 to $25k = 0
$25 to $50k = 5%
$50k to $100k = 10%
$100k to $250k = 15%
$250k to $500k = 25%
$500k to $1 mil = 40%
$1 mil to $2 mil = 50%
$2 mil to $10 mil = 60%
$10 mil+ = 70%

Deduction: Child deduction, Charity donations, student loan payments and medical bills.

For example
First $25k = $0
Next $25k = $1.25k
Next $50k = $5k
Next $150k = $22.5k
Last $50k = $12.5k

so what we have today is your point? LOL

0 to $25k = 0
$25 to $50k = 5%
$50k to $100k = 10%
$100k to $250k = 15%
$250k to $500k = 25%
$500k to $1 mil = 40%
$1 mil to $2 mil = 50%
$2 mil to $10 mil = 60%
$10 mil+ = 70%

For example
First $25k = $0
Next $25k = $1.25k
Next $50k = $5k
Next $150k = $22.5k
Last $50k = $12.5k

flat progressive is an oxymoron

The rich do pay more. Liberals are pathetic.

I waited for eight years for Obama to address the billionaires, but he did as was told and sucked them off instead.

Simple rhetoric plays well with people like Matthew. He hears, "get the rich", and starts foaming at the mouth, but then his leadership lies to him and goes after small business owner instead of the billionaire club.

Spot on! It's easy to get the rich. It's divisive and pits rich against poor, let's the government off the hook. Pretty easy for the Democrats to do.
When are the Republicans going to stop being infidel, protestant, and renegade to their own, Republican Doctrine regarding our alleged, War on Drugs?

All drugs need to be legalized, sold through a pharmacy and taxed, with the taxes going to rehab. When are you going to get smart and not rely on a party.
After we convince individuals in Legislature.

I wonder why Obama never addressed the billionaires? He talked about it, but none of the plans he put forth did. He always targeted the small business owner, never the billionaire. The Dems are absolute phonies on this topic. Their actions never match their rhetoric.
Dems and Reps are flip sides of the same coin. They both answer to those billionaires. And that includes Obama. Bottom line, he's a politician. There's a lot of shit he did that was wrong. I'm talking about the real things he did, not the made up stuff from the right.

We need to reverse Citizens United and repeal that 19th century law that said corporations can have the same Constitutional rights as an actual human being. These billionaires could care less about the health and welfare of this country and I think its about time we showed them the door swings both ways.

explain please.
They pay between 10 - 15% tax rate on capitol gains, no tax on dividends and they're allowed to offshore their profits to avoid paying more taxes. I pay approximately 25 - 30% tax rate. I don't want them paying less than I do.

We need to raise the tax rate on capitol gains a full 10%, start taxing stock dividends at 25%, impose a Franchise Transactions Tax for every share traded on Wall Street and close these loopholes that allow them to offshore profits.

I wonder why Obama never addressed the billionaires? He talked about it, but none of the plans he put forth did. He always targeted the small business owner, never the billionaire. The Dems are absolute phonies on this topic. Their actions never match their rhetoric.
Dems and Reps are flip sides of the same coin. They both answer to those billionaires. And that includes Obama. Bottom line, he's a politician. There's a lot of shit he did that was wrong. I'm talking about the real things he did, not the made up stuff from the right.

We need to reverse Citizens United and repeal that 19th century law that said corporations can have the same Constitutional rights as an actual human being. These billionaires could care less about the health and welfare of this country and I think its about time we showed them the door swings both ways.

We need to reverse Citizens United

Exactly! Because if someone makes a film about Hillary that makes her look bad.....it's unfair!!!

explain please.
They pay between 10 - 15% tax rate on capitol gains, no tax on dividends and they're allowed to offshore their profits to avoid paying more taxes. I pay approximately 25 - 30% tax rate. I don't want them paying less than I do.

We need to raise the tax rate on capitol gains a full 10%, start taxing stock dividends at 25%, impose a Franchise Transactions Tax for every share traded on Wall Street and close these loopholes that allow them to offshore profits.

They pay between 10 - 15% tax rate on capitol gains

Wrong.

Calculating the tax
Once you know the amount of the gain, you need to know the tax rates that apply. Three different rates exist on long-term capital gains, and which one is right for you depends on what tax bracket you're in:

• If you're in the 10% or 15% tax bracket for ordinary income, then your long-term capital gains rate is 0%.
  • If you're in the 25%, 28%, 33%, or 35% tax bracket, then your long-term capital gains rate is 15%.
  • If you're in the 39.6% tax bracket, then your long-term capital gains rate is 20%.
Those rates apply to federal taxes, but if your state has an income tax, you'll probably have to add on an additional amount there. Some states, such as California, make no distinction between long-term capital gains and other types of income in imposing taxes. Others, such as Massachusetts, have much lower rates for long-term capital gains than for short-term gains. Your particular tax rate will depend on your income level and the specific brackets that your state imposes. For a good overview, check out this article on state capital gains taxes.

3 other things to keep in mind
In addition to the above, there are a few things you should remember about long-term and the taxes you have to pay on them.
First, for high-income taxpayers, long-term capital gains do count as qualifying income for purposes of the 3.8%
surtax on net investment income. This means that for single taxpayers making more than $200,000 and joint filers earning more than $250,000, the effective long-term capital gains tax rate is 3.8 percentage points higher than otherwise indicated.

Second, be aware that you only have to pay tax on the net amount of capital gains you have. So if you sell one stock at a gain and another at a loss, those two figures can balance each other out, and you'll only pay tax on the total amount of overall profit from the combination of both positions.

Long-Term Capital Gains Tax Rates in 2015 -- The Motley Fool

no tax on dividends

Wrong.

upload_2017-3-15_18-9-40.png

Dividend Tax Rates: Plan Ahead for the IRS's Cut of Your Dividend Income -- The Motley Fool

I pay approximately 25 - 30% tax rate.

On what income?

explain please.

They pay between 10 - 15% tax rate on capitol gains

Wrong.

Calculating the tax
Once you know the amount of the gain, you need to know the tax rates that apply. Three different rates exist on long-term capital gains, and which one is right for you depends on what tax bracket you're in:

• If you're in the 10% or 15% tax bracket for ordinary income, then your long-term capital gains rate is 0%.
  • If you're in the 25%, 28%, 33%, or 35% tax bracket, then your long-term capital gains rate is 15%.
  • If you're in the 39.6% tax bracket, then your long-term capital gains rate is 20%.
Those rates apply to federal taxes, but if your state has an income tax, you'll probably have to add on an additional amount there. Some states, such as California, make no distinction between long-term capital gains and other types of income in imposing taxes. Others, such as Massachusetts, have much lower rates for long-term capital gains than for short-term gains. Your particular tax rate will depend on your income level and the specific brackets that your state imposes. For a good overview, check out this article on state capital gains taxes.

3 other things to keep in mind
In addition to the above, there are a few things you should remember about long-term and the taxes you have to pay on them.
First, for high-income taxpayers, long-term capital gains do count as qualifying income for purposes of the 3.8%
surtax on net investment income. This means that for single taxpayers making more than $200,000 and joint filers earning more than $250,000, the effective long-term capital gains tax rate is 3.8 percentage points higher than otherwise indicated.

Second, be aware that you only have to pay tax on the net amount of capital gains you have. So if you sell one stock at a gain and another at a loss, those two figures can balance each other out, and you'll only pay tax on the total amount of overall profit from the combination of both positions.

Long-Term Capital Gains Tax Rates in 2015 -- The Motley Fool

no tax on dividends

Wrong.

View attachment 116939

Dividend Tax Rates: Plan Ahead for the IRS's Cut of Your Dividend Income -- The Motley Fool

I pay approximately 25 - 30% tax rate.

On what income?
He must make what trump makes . So he's bitching about his own self

What we need is true campaign limits directly to candidates. Let's say any individual can donate up to 5k to any candidate. That would include entities such a unions and corporations, meaning they could make a a single 5k contribution to whomever. No bundling allowed. Just individual donations. In addition they could donate a total of 5k to 501's. That it. After the 10k total, they are done.

Forum List

Back