Should the Muslim Church Excommunicate ISIS?

Good question. I was reading an article this morning that mentioned this. I haven't thought about that but it makes sense.

-Geaux
-----------------------

The extinction of ISIS

Some argue that Muslim religious authorities ought to excommunicate ISIS, and that would solve the problem. Though rather rare, excommunication has taken place in Muslim history — but not on the grounds of sinful actions, grotesque though they might be. Criminals can be punished or fought against, even killed; but traditional religious authorities insist such criminals must still be recognized as Muslim, unless they repudiate core Islamic theological beliefs, like the unity of God, for example. Ironically, it is heterodox movements that regularly resort to excommunication for non-theological reasons – indeed, ISIS appears to do that regularly.

This stupidity needs to end Why the Atlantic NY Post are clueless about Islam - Salon.com

Well, Muslims don't go to church. They have mosques and specifically, Mecca. But yes, they should.

They should make a very big, public denouncement. The House of Saud can afford it alone without even tapping into the resources of other Muslims. But they're just a bunch of OPEC pricks who probably don't care. You live as a prince in Riyadh and the rest of the world doesn't really exist.

Good question. I was reading an article this morning that mentioned this. I haven't thought about that but it makes sense.

-Geaux
-----------------------

The extinction of ISIS

Some argue that Muslim religious authorities ought to excommunicate ISIS, and that would solve the problem. Though rather rare, excommunication has taken place in Muslim history — but not on the grounds of sinful actions, grotesque though they might be. Criminals can be punished or fought against, even killed; but traditional religious authorities insist such criminals must still be recognized as Muslim, unless they repudiate core Islamic theological beliefs, like the unity of God, for example. Ironically, it is heterodox movements that regularly resort to excommunication for non-theological reasons – indeed, ISIS appears to do that regularly.

This stupidity needs to end Why the Atlantic NY Post are clueless about Islam - Salon.com

Well, Muslims don't go to church. They have mosques and specifically, Mecca. But yes, they should.

They should make a very big, public denouncement. The House of Saud can afford it alone without even tapping into the resources of other Muslims. But they're just a bunch of OPEC pricks who probably don't care. You live as a prince in Riyadh and the rest of the world doesn't really exist.

They already have denounced ISIS.

-Geaux
-----------------------

The extinction of ISIS

Excommunication requires some central authority. The Pope could excommunicate a Catholic, for example. But not a Baptist. Who would do the excommunicating of ISIS?

-Geaux
-----------------------

The extinction of ISIS

They already have denounced ISIS.

They need to do more, then. The Saudis have enough money to buy anything they want from anyone they want at any price. It's a shame.

Osomir, are you a muslim? ...... :cool:
I am not. I am not religious.
I see.......just another keyboard dilettante out to impress the world with his knowledge on various subject matter. ...... :cool:

I am primarily an international economist and have a background in conflict analysis as well. It is important for me to understand basic religious practices and values of those with whom I work to shape policy. I specialize in North and Sub-Saharan Africa (and some of its periphery such as Yemen), so Islam, among other faiths, is important for me to study; not to mention the general tid bits that I pick up from interacting with said populations as well. But one doesn't need any of that to understand that different Islamic populations practice their faith differently even within more specific jurisprudential schools of thought.

Pointless theoretical scenario. Expecting Muslims to collectively pull some common sense out of their asses and do the right thing is a complete waste of time. Nothing in the last 1400 years has demonstrated that they have that ability.

Pointless theoretical scenario. Expecting Muslims to collectively pull some common sense out of their asses and do the right thing is a complete waste of time. Nothing in the last 1400 years has demonstrated that they have that ability.

So how do you 'excommunicate' someone who isn't part of your sect? Does the Pope 'excommunicate' a Baptist from Catholicism?

Like it or not.......the spiritual leader of 12'er Shia Islam is the Grand Ayatollah who resides in Iran.

Reviewing this thread, I'd be a little remiss if I didn't point out that there are over 60 grand ayatollahs / Maraji within 12er shia structures and that Khomeini isn't even the most popular (far from it). Outside of political influence, he has a relatively small religious following. The stronger ideological power centers are in Qom and Najaf.

Forum List

Back