Should I raise my employees salary??

Batcat
I am both defeated and exhaustive
In my opinion now is not the best time to be an employer. Sell the place and go work for someone. All you have to do is do a good job. They get all the worries and frustrations.

Batcat
And I am being sued from an incident back in Dec of 2018 for 15 grand lol
You sound like a person whose only luck is bad luck.

I thought about running my own business when I left the service but when I did some research I decided to work for a big corporation. I retired just before I turned 60 with a pension and have never worked a day since. Now I am 75. I’m not rich but I currently have no financial worries. Hopefully Biden will not totally screw up the economy and cause the stock market to crash.

I ran the graveyard shift and had no bosses directly over me in the middle of the night so I ran things my own way. My shift was productive so the day shift and second shift brass decided to leave me alone.

I actually enjoyed my job and fortunately the company I was working for continued to get contracts from the government for my department to work on. To me that was someone else’s problem so I didn’t get any ulcers bidding on contracts.

My company did have several lawsuits filed against it but once again that was not my problem so I didn’t lose any sleep over it.

I am 45ish and have 1.2 million in the bank

I often think I should just move to Montana or Wyoming and buy a house on cheap land and a bunch of dogs and that’s it
Have zero connect with anyone

I have an utterly insane anathema to my job
I had two jobs I disliked in my life and quickly changed them for different jobs.

I joined the service and enjoyed it but I got married while in the service and my wife told me that if I reenlisted she would divorce me. I figured it was cheaper to keep her. After about 20 years we did get divorced. I should have stayed in the Air Force.

When in the service I was with several guys from basic training all the way through. I notice some guys bitched about basic training but this was the Air Force not the Marine Corps and to me it seemed almost like fun. For example I had a hard time not laughing when the TI stuck his face up to mine and yelled at me for not shaving. I said, “Sir, I just shaved,” He insisted on watching me dry shave and when I did he said, “Damn, boy you have a hell of a beard for someone your age.“ I had been shaving since I was eleven or twelve.

Then we all went to technical school and the same guys who bitched about basic bitched about technical school. We then got picked as instructors which I thought was a great job but of course the same guys bitched about that too. Finally as the Vietnam War wound down we were sent out to an Air Force Base to work on aircraft and I know by now you have detected a trend.

It seems some people go through life miserable. Others not so much. The way I see it is this definitely isn’t heaven but then it’s not hell either.

I personally hate working under a boss. That’s why I enjoyed running the graveyard shift at the factory I was working for. I was only a low level work director but I was the boss with nobody above me at 3am. As I said above I ran things my way. No chicken shit. The rules I told my workers were to first get the work done. I don’t mind people having some fun but don’t damage anything and don’t get caught doing something that gets me in trouble.

The management was often surprised that people would volunteer to work on my shift. The other shifts had STRICT discipline and unhappy people. Happy people work better and are more productive. The department started measuring shift production and couldn’t believe that my graveyard shift was actually more productive than either First or Second Shift. My boss on day shift told me to continue to run things my way but when day shift comes in look professional. I told my people to look unhappy at 6 am. That worked just fine.

After work we all used to go bowling. It’s fun drinking beer at 9 am and watching all the early morning league bowlers comment on how we must be alcoholics. We also used to go to a pistol range and target shoot. I introduced a number of my workers to handguns and several ended up with concealed carry permits.

If you notice the time on this post I am still on the graveyard shift even after 15 years of retirement. I am a creature of the night … you might say a vampire.

Forum List

Back