Zone1 I was asked what my religion was, I told them "I'm a Christian". Was I lying?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
It wasn't intentional but, I wear a cross with the star of David connected to it. I consider myself a Noahide and I have been listening to ministers, priests and rabbis on and off for a number of years. I was first interested in Judaism well before 2010.

The last year I have been clearly pulled in one direction. Even in the most profound dream I have ever had and I am NOT one who usually believes in ghosts, psychics and messages in dreams, but I cannot deny this dream that came out of left field and in which I have a visceral reaction during it (it was short but powerful).

I was awoken by the dream and I still remember it vividly. My focus has been on G-d, as much as some in my country try to pull me away from him through the experiences I have suffered from here; I do not pray to a prophet and I don't view Jesus as I once did. My belief in trying to follow 613 mitzvahs as best I can, even openly praising my brother for instance for visiting someone in a hospital telling him that it was very important and that in some religions they believe that is a critical role to comfort others when they are ill.

So, the context of when I was asked this question isn't important but someone asked me if I was Christian. I answered yes as they were referencing my cross. I wasn't uncomfortable per se though I felt I was lying, I was trying to avoid further discomfort as I really didn't know this person well and I didn't want to get into a discussion of Noahide and the seven laws, my broader beliefs etc.

It is a difficult position as I am not Jewish, it doesn't work that way. I am Christian by baptism and following our Ten Commandments, but I am not really Christian either.

Therefore, how would I answer such a question? It is ingrained in me to wear a symbol of faith, though it is a mixed one because I have not converted yet still believe deeply in G-d as imperfect as I have been of late. Even if I didn't wear a cross, the question if asked would still remain as complicated for me to answer.

Thank you for your time.

Therefore, how would I answer such a question? It is ingrained in me to wear a symbol of faith, though it is a mixed one because I have not converted yet still believe deeply
I have been deep into the Jewish faith for nearly twenty years now, and as a result understand my Christian/Catholic faith so much better. Their story is our story because it is the story of mankind. We are so blessed that they recorded that history. Where Jews and Christians part ways is over the divinity of Jesus; for them that is just not possible, end of story.

In so many ways Jesus' story is their story, their history lived throughout his life, sort of like God saying, Your history is my history, too. I've been with you and always will be.

To convert to Judaism, one must give up Christ. I don't know about you, but that is just something I cannot do. He is the fulfillment, the essence of Judaism. Jesus does not stop me from delving into the Jewish faith; the Jewish faith would stop me from delving into Jesus. I wish the two could come together, but that does not seem likely. I respect that because one is a root, the other an offshoot. The root can no more be an offshoot, than an offshoot can be the root. We live with that difference.

It wasn't intentional but, I wear a cross with the star of David connected to it. I consider myself a Noahide and I have been listening to ministers, priests and rabbis on and off for a number of years. I was first interested in Judaism well before 2010.

The last year I have been clearly pulled in one direction. Even in the most profound dream I have ever had and I am NOT one who usually believes in ghosts, psychics and messages in dreams, but I cannot deny this dream that came out of left field and in which I have a visceral reaction during it (it was short but powerful).

I was awoken by the dream and I still remember it vividly. My focus has been on G-d, as much as some in my country try to pull me away from him through the experiences I have suffered from here; I do not pray to a prophet and I don't view Jesus as I once did. My belief in trying to follow 613 mitzvahs as best I can, even openly praising my brother for instance for visiting someone in a hospital telling him that it was very important and that in some religions they believe that is a critical role to comfort others when they are ill.

So, the context of when I was asked this question isn't important but someone asked me if I was Christian. I answered yes as they were referencing my cross. I wasn't uncomfortable per se though I felt I was lying, I was trying to avoid further discomfort as I really didn't know this person well and I didn't want to get into a discussion of Noahide and the seven laws, my broader beliefs etc.

It is a difficult position as I am not Jewish, it doesn't work that way. I am Christian by baptism and following our Ten Commandments, but I am not really Christian either.

Therefore, how would I answer such a question? It is ingrained in me to wear a symbol of faith, though it is a mixed one because I have not converted yet still believe deeply in G-d as imperfect as I have been of late. Even if I didn't wear a cross, the question if asked would still remain as complicated for me to answer.

Thank you for your time.
I understand the reluctance to call yourself a Jew, which today, is worse than calling yourself a Christian due to the rampant Left-wing antisemitism that is sweeping the world like fire.

Good move.

But you are correct, to call yourself a Christian is a lie if you do not follow Christ.

But hey, I will hide you in my attic and lie saying there are no Jews that live here if the time comes.

I have been deep into the Jewish faith for nearly twenty years now, and as a result understand my Christian/Catholic faith so much better. Their story is our story because it is the story of mankind. We are so blessed that they recorded that history. Where Jews and Christians part ways is over the divinity of Jesus; for them that is just not possible, end of story.

In so many ways Jesus' story is their story, their history lived throughout his life, sort of like God saying, Your history is my history, too. I've been with you and always will be.

To convert to Judaism, one must give up Christ. I don't know about you, but that is just something I cannot do. He is the fulfillment, the essence of Judaism. Jesus does not stop me from delving into the Jewish faith; the Jewish faith would stop me from delving into Jesus. I wish the two could come together, but that does not seem likely. I respect that because one is a root, the other an offshoot. The root can no more be an offshoot, than an offshoot can be the root. We live with that difference.
Jesus turned the other cheek, meanwhile so-called followers of Christ do not even follow his guidance, especially in Canada and they beat you more when you do, via their own hand or that of the state.

I respect Jesus and love his message, I no longer see him as divine. Certainly not whom I should be praying too. There is only one G-d IMO, it is as it must be really.

I understand the reluctance to call yourself a Jew, which today, is worse than calling yourself a Christian due to the rampant Left-wing antisemitism that is sweeping the world like fire.

Good move.

But you are correct, to call yourself a Christian is a lie if you do not follow Christ.

But hey, I will hide you in my attic and lie saying there are no Jews that live here if the time comes.
Judaism isn't going away nor is Israel.

It takes courage from all of us to stand shoulder to shoulder with them. I will do my part as their message is far more peaceful, supportive of justice and liberty than any other religion.

Jesus turned the other cheek, meanwhile so-called followers of Christ do not even follow his guidance, especially in Canada and they beat you more when you do, via their own hand or that of the state.

I respect Jesus and love his message, I no longer see him as divine. Certainly not whom I should be praying too. There is only one G-d IMO, it is as it must be really.
Jesus picked up a whip and drove out money changers.

Does that sound like turning the other cheek?

You need to better understand theology, which I think you are misapplying, both in terms of the views of Christ as well as equating Christ with those that claim to follow him.

It takes courage from all of us to stand shoulder to shoulder with them. I will do my part as their message is far more peaceful, supportive of justice and liberty than any other religion.
As a Christian or a Jew, we both agree.

However, in the interim, many millions have been persecuted and died and will continue to do so.

Revelation is a sobering reminder of the coming mass genocide when reading about the mark of the beast.

Judaism isn't the root of Christianity. The Pharisaic Jews appropriated 'Moses' seat', thus "Judaism".

The Christian west (descendants of Israel) will be drawn into the conflagration of the end time because of our relationship as brother peoples to the Jews. Ezekiel 5.

Jesus turned the other cheek ...

When, dear brother in Christ? Perhaps helps some religious education.

In general I would say only a real Christian is able to ask "Am I really a Christian or am I only a liar?"

Wer ich auch bin, Du kennst mich, Herr. Dein bin ich auf ewig, oh Gott.

Dietrich Bonhoefer
Whoever I am, You know me, Lord. I am Yours forever, oh God.

Last edited:

Perhaps the differences are much more little than you think they are. I read a book a Jew had written about the history of Jews. In this book he spoke to other Jews about their traditions and their prejudices on Christians. I do not like to repeat now what I understood of this all. But I had the impression the differences are very little and not so big as most people - Jews as well as Christians - seem to think. The greatest differences seem to be only traditions.

Last edited:
All Christians are a work in progress.
Speak for yourself, I'm a masterpiece.

1707242552990.png

The meaning is: "This Jew from Nazarene is executed like every other criminal offender on a cross because he is a rebel against the Roman Empire"
Actually, the Jews forced the Romans to carry out the actual crucifixion.

Actually, the Jews forced the Romans to carry out the actual crucifixion.

And I thought it had been the Americans. Tststststs. ... By the way: I heard you executed or plan to exexcute someone with nitrogen after he had been 25 years in prison. Are you all meanwhile totally mad?

Last edited:
And I thought it had been the Americans. Tststststs. ... By the way: I heard you executed or plan to exexcute someone with nitrogen after he had been 25 years in prison. Are you all meanwhile totally mad?
Those darned endless appeals. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Forum List

Back