Should I buy my Papa a Harley-Davidson?

• Yes

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Get a convertible.
They are safer, more comfortable and more useful.
View attachment 358992

If you're looking for a motorcycle, you're not looking for safety.

Then you really do not understand owning a Harley. I've been riding for over 60 years, since I was 13. No one can explain it to you.
motorcycles are fun, but they are dangerous on wet pavement and uncomfortable on long trips, I have ridden them, I just think that if a person wants the feel the wind and have a little fun, buy a convertible, and I have friends who have been badly injured and killed on bikes

motorcycles are fun, but they are dangerous on wet pavement and uncomfortable on long trips, I have ridden them, I just think that if a person wants the feel the wind and have a little fun, buy a convertible, and I have friends who have been badly injured and killed on bikes

Yep, motorcycles are dangerous. Obviously, you shouldn't ride one.

he is getting old get him one of these.....its still a Harley

View attachment 358829....

Is 55 years in age now old? Papa is literally physically more like 35 years in age!

we had a Road King. Nice bike but can your dad easily lift 500 pounds?

Mine isn't a Road King but rather a Fat Boy. Around 700 pounds. I'm 76, but why would I lift the bike?

Ours fell over once!

Yes, I stopped riding bikes a long time ago.
Had a friend who was killed on one and another who lost half of his foot on another one.
But, riding motorcycles is fun for most people.

Had a friend who was killed on one and another who lost half of his foot on another one.
People get maimed and killed in car wrecks everyday of the week and and it's just accepted as normal.
But if there is one serious injury or fatality on a motorcycle, people start talking about how dangerous they are. ... :cool:

Last edited:

I had a bad accident. Did not walk for 8 months. Doctor said motorcycle riders are nothing but organ donors. I haven’t been on one since.

Me too, and I rode my Harley to their funerals and to visit the others in the hospital. They wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

I bought the last one right after I retired.

I've been fortunate. I've only laid one down on the street and that was decades ago. The q hard part was that I had left me pride and joy, a customized '55 Panhead at home in Key West and was riding my Ol' Man's bike. He had a pegleg but still rode, his bike was an electric start. He was not happy! Ah, life was good!

I also raced cross country Enduros for many years. Yes, I got to know my orthopedic surgeon on a first name basis! :D

Last edited:

Me too, and I rode my Harley to their funerals and to visit the others in the hospital. They wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

I bought the last one right after I retired.

I've been fortunate. I've only laid one down on the street and that was decades ago. The q hard part was that I had left me pride and joy, a customized '55 Panhead at home in Key West and was riding my Ol' Man's bike. He had a pegleg but still road. He was not happy!

I also raced cross country Enduros for many years. Yes, I got to know my orthopedic surgeon on a first name basis! :D
I had an Royal Enfield Indian Lance once, and a Suzuki 250 and 350

Motorcycles don't even look like motorcycles anymore! Pretty soon they're going to have a roof.

If your Dad has never ridden a motorcycle before, Lucy, I wouldn't buy him one. They are dangerous, however retarded looking they make 'em look these days.

If you can afford to get him a Harley, I highly recommend a Road King. They ride nice, can pack a lot of gear, and look good. But, you have to decide if you want to get him a touring bike, or just a regular street cruiser. Me? I recommend the touring bikes, because you can do more with them.

What is the engine like of the Road King? We seem to have disagreements on nearly all the bikes so far involving the engines.

Well, considering that the engine on a Road King has rubber mounts, and you can also get them with a belt instead of a chain drive, they actually can be pretty smooth.

However....................if he's planning on doing burnouts and drag racing, go with the chain drive. Belt drives are smooth, but if you thrash too much on them, they can break.

Belt drives are also an ongoing maintenance issue, where shafts are not.

Yeah, but if you really twist the throttle on a shaft drive, they tend to twist towards the side the shaft is mounted on. Drag racing on a shaft drive is dangerous at best.

And, to tell you the truth, it's not that hard to repair a belt drive, they sell kits that will get you home good enough until you can replace the belt.

Lucy And what about a Indian Bike ?

View attachment 358855

Still thinking and need help of WHAT motorcycle to buy for Papa.

Okay consider I can also ride a motorcycle, I have bought the Indian Scout 2020 model for me, it is the below 100th Anniversary Model and in the exact same colour as below. I hope to ride it in October after Kid F is born (second week of September) by this time I WILL have bought Papa a motorcycle and we can go riding together on Saturdays.

This below is mine, I think it's GORGEOUS, it is Indian red with a gold trim, the cost Euros 18.000 = in US Dollars 20.339.

1594399061846.png

1594399327387.png

1594400091770.png

1594400453941.png

1594400524766.png

1594399283483.png

1594399371446.png

1594399614737.png

1594400878129.png

1594400020887.png

Okay so it is my Papa's birthday very soon, he is going to be 55 years in age and I am thinking of buying him a Harley-Davidson motorbike. I didn't know there were so many models of them until I begin researching them to buy one.

The poll is a Yes or No, also if anyone wants to suggest WHICH Harley-Davidson I should buy for them then feel free to add your advice.

If you love him you won't buy him a harley. Buy him a gold wing so it will last.

Remember Harley's don't leak oil, they mark their territory.

This below the Honda Goldwing 1800 Bagger, a VERY nice bike, there are many Honda dealers within distance of me:

View attachment 358878

View attachment 358880

^^^^

At THIS moment I am thinking of buying Papa the above Honda Goldwing 1800 Bagger, it is a GORGEOUS thing, I like the colour of the above also but also want to see the all black version, I would probably get the all black version.

Here is the Honda Goldwing 1800 Bagger again:

1594401603161.png

1594401638571.png

Okay so it is my Papa's birthday very soon, he is going to be 55 years in age and I am thinking of buying him a Harley-Davidson motorbike. I didn't know there were so many models of them until I begin researching them to buy one.

The poll is a Yes or No, also if anyone wants to suggest WHICH Harley-Davidson I should buy for them then feel free to add your advice.

If you love him yes. Just be sure it's what he wants.

View attachment 358855

Okay consider I can also ride a motorcycle, I have bought the Indian Scout 2020 model for me, it is the below 100th Anniversary Model and in the exact same colour as below. I hope to ride it in October after Kid F is born (second week of September) by this time I WILL have bought Papa a motorcycle and we can go riding together on Saturdays.

This below is mine, I think it's GORGEOUS, it is Indian red with a gold trim, the cost Euros 18.000 = in US Dollars 20.339.

View attachment 361712
View attachment 361715

View attachment 361722

View attachment 361728

View attachment 361729

View attachment 361713
View attachment 361716

View attachment 361717

View attachment 361735

View attachment 361721

He should sit on them and test ride a few. Even that scout while not as costly as other bikes folks I know who owned them ended up moving to a bigger bike. The gold wing is super nice, I just find all the hoopla in the faring off putting.

View attachment 358855

View attachment 361712
View attachment 361715

View attachment 361722

View attachment 361728

View attachment 361729

View attachment 361713
View attachment 361716

View attachment 361717

View attachment 361735

View attachment 361721

As you need a crash helmet I also bought the Shark Spartan GT Carbon, like the below and the below colour they are calling Anthracite (which is the literal colour of Hard Coal) the below also has an internal sun visor:

1594403148974.png

1594403072293.png

1594403113362.png

Forum List

Back