Should English Be The National Language of USA?

But in any case, there should be a policy of stimulating the Spanish language and all its promotion, transferring half of the media and television broadcasting to Spanish. This will promote integration with South America and become an obstacle to German-British imperialism.

And it's not just my observation, but my mother (who spoke only French when she immigrated to this country) also told me about this phenomenon.

Still does not make it a fact, just your belief. So I imagine your mother also thought people were always talking about her, it is not just you.

None of which matters, as it does not change the fact. There can be no law mandating the country be "English only". You can think and wish it all you want, it simply will never be.

It's the official language, and official is national enough for me.
1_940731784-27478.wpic

What state are you from? Here is a map of Spanish

Far, far from the truth. And it's not just my observation, but my mother (who spoke only French when she immigrated to this country) also told me about this phenomenon. It is a human trait: if you can't understand someone who speaks a different language, you will automatically feel "left out" of the conversation. This manifests itself in many ways, depending on the observing person's internal frame of mind. Some feel the non-native speaker is somehow diminished and inferior. Some feel paranoid "Are they talking about me behind my back?" Some just feel frustrated in not being able to close a deal that normally would not take any effort if the other person only spoke their language.

Sorry for you. I am multi-cultural and multi-ethnic. I know racism, have experienced it in many ways, although the best thing to do in its face is to ignore it. <== That is the only way and Dr. King was correct. But language and communication can be a barrier within a nation.
Deep, deep insecurity ^^^^^^^.

How long can it be before the touchy, unhinged Democrats declare that the English language must be outlawed because it's the language of White supremacists? Ds are more than a little touched in the head.

Virginia, where ENGLISHMEN first settled, and where the descendants of those ENGLISHMEN, fought in a revolution against the British so that they could become AMERICAN. My family was German though.
Yes, some of the British pretended to be Americans, including Washington. But Washington didn't really fight, he tried to leave the influence of Britain in the USA, he was a traitor to America. The Americans were unhappy with his hypocritical policies.

Washington's British litters still sit in left-wing political circles to this day, and now they've taken over the GOP as well.

Spanish is a peasant language

I've always considered Spanish to be more of an Urban Language as opposed to one of the peasants in rural areas. But it is really easy to learn, "Hey ese, wassup holmes" and addressing people as either "holmes" or "pendayo" depending on whether they are a friend or a piece of shit.

There are many beautiful languages in the world. I always have a good amount of respect when I hear another language besides English being spoken. The second most common language in this country, Spanish, has many qualities that are intriguing and poetic, although many English speaking people find the language to be superfluous. I've heard some Spanish speaking people go on for minutes describing something that would take one sentence in English :)

Nowhere in the Constitution is there anything about English being a national language. If you do a search on this topic, the results seem to have been very much skewed in favor of NOT declaring English as the official language in the USA. This is a big change from what I've perceived in the years before internet search engines. I wonder if these results are being skewed by big tech companies (operated mostly by non-American, non-English speakers) and those with deep pockets who sell language teaching services.

The truth is that having multiple languages can cause dis-trust among the citizens. It's human nature: If you hear someone speaking a language you don't understand, you immediately wonder what they are talking about and if maybe they are saying something "behind your back". This is one of the biggest reasons in favor of a single national language. For many, many years, basic English competency was a requirement for acquiring citizenship. My mother came to this country not knowing a word of English (only French), but she explained that she did not regret for a moment the fact that she was required to learn English in school.

Why shouldn't the USA declare English the national language and require basic competency among its citizens? People are free to speak anything they want at home or even in the workplace, that should be a fact. But doesn't it make sense to require a common language to foster better communication?
America should speak English as opposed to the butchered American English version.

Yes, some of the British pretended to be Americans, including Washington. But Washington didn't really fight, he tried to leave the influence of Britain in the USA, he was a traitor to America. The Americans were unhappy with his hypocritical policies.

My god dude, Americans didn't spawn out of the ground, they came from overseas. Americans were Englishmen, German, Dutch, French, Spanish, etc.

Forum List

Back