Should English Be The National Language of USA?

Samofvt

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2021
There are many beautiful languages in the world. I always have a good amount of respect when I hear another language besides English being spoken. The second most common language in this country, Spanish, has many qualities that are intriguing and poetic, although many English speaking people find the language to be superfluous. I've heard some Spanish speaking people go on for minutes describing something that would take one sentence in English :)

Nowhere in the Constitution is there anything about English being a national language. If you do a search on this topic, the results seem to have been very much skewed in favor of NOT declaring English as the official language in the USA. This is a big change from what I've perceived in the years before internet search engines. I wonder if these results are being skewed by big tech companies (operated mostly by non-American, non-English speakers) and those with deep pockets who sell language teaching services.

The truth is that having multiple languages can cause dis-trust among the citizens. It's human nature: If you hear someone speaking a language you don't understand, you immediately wonder what they are talking about and if maybe they are saying something "behind your back". This is one of the biggest reasons in favor of a single national language. For many, many years, basic English competency was a requirement for acquiring citizenship. My mother came to this country not knowing a word of English (only French), but she explained that she did not regret for a moment the fact that she was required to learn English in school.

Why shouldn't the USA declare English the national language and require basic competency among its citizens? People are free to speak anything they want at home or even in the workplace, that should be a fact. But doesn't it make sense to require a common language to foster better communication?

It's the official language, and official is national enough for me.
Many schools in the southwest are forced to teach in Spanish because the majority of their students do not know english, and they are afraid to crack knuckles and teach remedial english to the students. I've heard this through the grapevine in the past, I don't have any recent "links" on the internet to corroborate my statements.

Many schools in the southwest are forced to teach in Spanish because the majority of their students do not know english, and they are afraid to crack knuckles and teach remedial english to the students. I've heard this through the grapevine in the past, I don't have any recent "links" on the internet to corroborate my statements.

Well the lack of proof is damning, but I am not surprised. It's amazing, the same people who get pissed at latino kids being taught lessons in spanish in the U.S. will say that Ukraine is evil for forcing Russian kids living in Ukraine, to learn Ukrainian. But hey, Logic on both sides loves hypocrisy.

First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, in part: "The freedom of speech shall not be infringed (shortened, curtailed). The only enforcement of speaking English, should be in the form of business/legal documentation, to observe consistency in contracts, et cetera.

There are many beautiful languages in the world. I always have a good amount of respect when I hear another language besides English being spoken. The second most common language in this country, Spanish, has many qualities that are intriguing and poetic, although many English speaking people find the language to be superfluous. I've heard some Spanish speaking people go on for minutes describing something that would take one sentence in English :)

Nowhere in the Constitution is there anything about English being a national language. If you do a search on this topic, the results seem to have been very much skewed in favor of NOT declaring English as the official language in the USA. This is a big change from what I've perceived in the years before internet search engines. I wonder if these results are being skewed by big tech companies (operated mostly by non-American, non-English speakers) and those with deep pockets who sell language teaching services.

The truth is that having multiple languages can cause dis-trust among the citizens. It's human nature: If you hear someone speaking a language you don't understand, you immediately wonder what they are talking about and if maybe they are saying something "behind your back". This is one of the biggest reasons in favor of a single national language. For many, many years, basic English competency was a requirement for acquiring citizenship. My mother came to this country not knowing a word of English (only French), but she explained that she did not regret for a moment the fact that she was required to learn English in school.

Why shouldn't the USA declare English the national language and require basic competency among its citizens? People are free to speak anything they want at home or even in the workplace, that should be a fact. But doesn't it make sense to require a common language to foster better communication?
Sure let's just change the fundamental language of the most important country in the world. Should be a piece of cake. Any other great ideas?

Well the lack of proof is damning, but I am not surprised. It's amazing, the same people who get pissed at latino kids being taught lessons in spanish in the U.S. will say that Ukraine is evil for forcing Russian kids living in Ukraine, to learn Ukrainian. But hey, Logic on both sides loves hypocrisy.
:auiqs.jpg:

Sure let's just change the fundamental language of the most important country in the world. Should be a piece of cake. Any other great ideas?
Isn't that what the schools are doing? Without specific legislation or rules, in those regions they are changing the language to Spanish.

Many years ago, a Senator S.I. Hayakawa of Hawaii proposed a Constitutional Amendment making English the official language of the United States. He was mocked to death for his suggestion. Not necessary, he was told.

Smart guy.

English is the predominant language of the entire world, not just America. That is not going change for a very very long time.
Worldwide, English is third or fourth, depending on your source, always behind Spanish.

But I'm not arguing about popularity. I'm arguing about what is the best thing to do to ensure stability and wellbeing in our country? Should we allow Southern California, New Mexico, Arizona and parts of Texas, Nevada, Utah, Colorado and some other states to switch entirely to Spanish? Will national unity be the same as it has been?

English is the language of the American Dream. If you come to America for the American Dream then learn to speak English. English is required to get citizenship for immigrants. It is the official language, designated or not.

The government, including all state and local governments, or any organization funded by the governments, should use English. If many clients speak other languages, then provide translators but the business needs to be conducted in English. Interpreters to be paid for by the person requesting the government's help or business.

English is required to get citizenship for immigrants.
It used to be. But now it is not required at all. I think it was during Clinton they changed the rules? My neighbor, God bless him, recently got his citizenship. Although he has been working hard to learn a little English (and knows several other languages including fluent Russian and some Ukrainian), he was not required to know any at all, nor was he required to Pledge Allegiance or take any sort of oath...the pandemic changed a lot. I'm not knocking him personally, he seems a decent person at 75+ years old. His kids who live here support him well.
It is the official language, designated or not.
There is no official language, and government agencies have been stepping up their efforts to provide multi-lingual services. Go ahead and call the IRS and be sure to press 2 to continue en Español.

Worldwide, English is third or fourth, depending on your source, always behind Spanish.

But I'm not arguing about popularity. I'm arguing about what is the best thing to do to ensure stability and wellbeing in our country? Should we allow Southern California, New Mexico, Arizona and parts of Texas, Nevada, Utah, Colorado and some other states to switch entirely to Spanish? Will national unity be the same as it has been?
Oh ok, that wasn't clear to me. If the demographics shift to the point where the Southwest is majority Hispanic, I could see bi-lingual requirements but not changing the official language to Spanish. Borders, language and culture define every country.

Forum List

Back