Should Children Get Into Politics?

When I was in 5th grade, we used to wear political buttons. I don't recall anyone fighting over politics though.
When I was in 5th grade, Watergate was the mother of all scandals. I feel like my parents missed a chance to teach me about politics. Whatever their views, I would have had a start point to learn.

I really didn't know what was going on other than Nixon had done something bad called "watergate," and they might impeach him for it.

I remember seeing an opponent of Nixon's saying, (roughly) Either Nixon knew what was happening when it happened, which means he condoned it and even ordered it, or he did not know what his people were doing which means he had no control over his people, which could be considered worse. That made sense, even to a ten year old.

I actually later became a Watergate buff, and I read all the "Books by Crooks." I loved comparing John Dean to Gordon Liddy.

The most shocking book I ever read about politics was by Carter's Chief of staff Hamilton Jordan, Crises: the Last Year of the Carter Presidency.

Jordan recounted, with seemingly no shame, Carter's foreign policy people literally begging the Iranians just for someone they could talk to about the hostages. The grasping at straws, the accepting of one dismissive insult after another, and the hoping that someone would speak with them. Finally someone did, and the negotiations dragged on and on with more humiliation for Carter's people and the American people.

He also described how Carter's people told the Iranians on Reagan's inauguration day that they could no longer negotiate because Carter was no longer president. The Iranians asked perplexedly when the Reagan negotiators would be arriving.

For those who don't remember that sorry episode, of course the Iranians were told that there would be no "Reagan negotiators," and the hostages were released shortly after that.

My first year teaching was at an elementary school in 2008. We had a mock election, and two of the students put on suits and masks, one Obama and one in a John McCain mask. Both candidates played by Hispanic students, because that was the populations. The kids enjoyed it and Obama won handily, just as in real life.

It was nice of McCain to volunteer to be Washington Generals to Obama's Harlem Globetrotters. I think the GOP ran a contender guaranteed to lose to avoid a Hillary run in 2014.

No offense or anything but whatever you were teaching them obviously wasn't sinking in.
LoL!

In my defense, I only started teaching in September and this was mid-October, so I hadn't had time to learn how to explain libertarianism to 3rd through 5th graders in Spanish yet.

My first year teaching was at an elementary school in 2008. We had a mock election, and two of the students put on suits and masks, one Obama and one in a John McCain mask. Both candidates played by Hispanic students, because that was the populations. The kids enjoyed it and Obama won handily, just as in real life.

It was nice of McCain to volunteer to be Washington Generals to Obama's Harlem Globetrotters. I think the GOP ran a contender guaranteed to lose to avoid a Hillary run in 2014.
2014?????????

The elections were in 2012 and 2016.

LoL!

In my defense, I only started teaching in September and this was mid-October, so I hadn't had time to learn how to explain libertarianism to 3rd through 5th graders in Spanish yet.

It's fine and I know it happened in real life. XD

LoL!

You're right. Good thing I be'd a reading teaching not a maths teacher.

For some strange reason I read this at first as good thing I had a hot teacher. WTF? I really need to schedule an eye doctor appointment ASAP.

For some strange reason I read this at first as good thing I had a hot teacher. WTF? I really need to schedule an eye doctor appointment ASAP.
I could see that.

I once saw a sentence on a message board, "it would cause big ripples, if they did that." It took me several readings to get that straight.

We already have childish people in politics. See Hershal Walker, Taylor Green, and all those crazy MAGA candidates that say the election was stolen from trump.

I went to Parochial Catholic school where we had Carmelite nuns as teachers. Definitely no 'hotness' going on there!!

I went to Parochial Catholic school where we had Carmelite nuns as teachers. Definitely no 'hotness' going on there!!

This makes me think of this old Candid Camera skit. (Also they couldn't be hot because nuns don't believe in sex.)

This makes me think of this old Candid Camera skit. (Also they couldn't be hot because nuns don't believe in sex.)

Yeah those nuns wore habits on their head, and black robe like frocks. They looked like this:

1665286214559.png

The ONLY politics I was aware of growing up, was what we were taught from history books.
Although nothing that was taught was actually deemed "politics", it was just historical information.

I don't think we ever had a politics class perse'........but we had a couple of government classes that dealt with political heads of state and presidents.

We learned the basics of the system, but we never got "into" the politics of politics.

I don't think kids need to learn about politics until high school, when they can comprehend it.

Forum List

Back