Should abused kids be locked up?

up to you, you would

• order social workers to do all of the above. if pcs offices are full, kids go to open prison

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • order social workers to do all of the above. all else fails, kids will be locked in cells

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • social workers just have to call homes in the county only, kids go to open prison

• social workers call homes in county only. kids will be locked up.

• Total voters

hazelnut

Rookie
Aug 13, 2014
I read on the net that sometimes kids who'd been abused/orphaned end up in juvenile hall or in a prison cell in the police station for the only reason that there are no foster homes or beds in shelters that are available in the area.

I dont know if this is true. asked in several law forums, and no one actually knows... However, I really want to know how people feel about this and what everyone wants.

I mean kids that are NOT runaways, not running around with criminals, not self harming or danger to others. Good kids who go to school and do what they're told. Simply because they're unfortunate enough not to have relatives who're willing/able to care for them, and to have been in a rural county that has no cps or enough homse/shelters around, and it's the middle of the night, and the nearest cps is hours drive away.

Should the cops put them in a holding cell in the police station, or juvenile hall, let's say they're supervised and separated from criminals, in a cell with other non-violent kids like themselves, till a replacement is found?

Or should the cops allow those kids to wait in the break room till a social worker arrives? and then the social workers ordered to call every foster home/shelter in the country, (not the county - the whole country) and let them sleep in cps for days if there's no place available? (it's legal, they do it in Pima county. was in the news. They're supervised by social workers.)

If locked up, should those kids be allowed to walk in the building and yard freely while the violent prisoners are locked up? should they be allowed to take the bus to town during the day, an open prison?

Or should they be locked up in their cells?

If it were up to you, you would...

Get them a plan ticket to the Middle East, I'm sure ISIS will want them. :eek-52:

I read on the net that sometimes kids who'd been abused/orphaned end up in juvenile hall or in a prison cell in the police station for the only reason that there are no foster homes or beds in shelters that are available in the area.

I dont know if this is true. asked in several law forums, and no one actually knows... However, I really want to know how people feel about this and what everyone wants.

I mean kids that are NOT runaways, not running around with criminals, not self harming or danger to others. Good kids who go to school and do what they're told. Simply because they're unfortunate enough not to have relatives who're willing/able to care for them, and to have been in a rural county that has no cps or enough homse/shelters around, and it's the middle of the night, and the nearest cps is hours drive away.

Should the cops put them in a holding cell in the police station, or juvenile hall, let's say they're supervised and separated from criminals, in a cell with other non-violent kids like themselves, till a replacement is found?

Or should the cops allow those kids to wait in the break room till a social worker arrives? and then the social workers ordered to call every foster home/shelter in the country, (not the county - the whole country) and let them sleep in cps for days if there's no place available? (it's legal, they do it in Pima county. was in the news. They're supervised by social workers.)

If locked up, should those kids be allowed to walk in the building and yard freely while the violent prisoners are locked up? should they be allowed to take the bus to town during the day, an open prison?

In CA the Welfare and Institutions Code defines minors who come into the system in this way:

601 W&I: Incorrigible, out of the parents control, chronically truant;

602 W&I: Committed an act if done by someone 18 or older would have been a misdemeanor or Felony;

300 W&I: A child who has been abused or neglected.

No 300 can ever be admitted to a juvenile hall; a 601 can be detained by the Juvenile Court Judge, but if and only if there is a secure placement out of sight and sound of 602's.

Juvenile Halls in CA are for detention only. They are not jails, per se. Many probation depts have Ranches and centers for those who are found to be 602's after a trail, the trier of fact is a Judge or Commissioner. The trier of fact can detain a 602 for violating any order of probation, or who has run away from a placement, home, group home, ranch or the California Youth Authority (prison).

In CA the Welfare and Institutions Code defines minors who come into the system in this way:

602 W&I: Committed an act if done by someone 18 or older would have been a misdemeanor or Felony;

No 300 can ever be admitted to a juvenile hall; a 601 can be detained by the Juvenile Court Judge, but if and only if there is a secure placement out of sight and sound of 602's.

Juvenile Halls in CA are for detention only. They are not jails, per se. Many probation depts have Ranches and centers for those who are found to be 602's after a trail, the trier of fact is a Judge or Commissioner. The trier of fact can detain a 602 for violating any order of probation, or who has run away from a placement, home, group home, ranch or the California Youth Authority (prison).

I'm very glad for your answer because it's extremely informative. It makes sense and seems fair. Does that mean that No 300 can't be locked in a cell in the police station, either until cps arrive?

I'm very glad for your answer because it's extremely informative. It makes sense and seems fair. Does that mean that No 300 can't be locked in a cell in the police station, either until cps arrive?

No minor can be locked in a jail cell unless they are out of sound and sight of other inmates and there is no other alternative. Usually there are; there are social workers on call 24-7-365 to take abused or neglected kids into a safe haven - usually an emergency foster home. Of course a Police Officer will transport a 300 abused or neglected to the hospital when necessary, where health care professionals can evaluate the needs for the child.

However, some rural counties, usually those on the eastern slope of the Sierra Mts., have few resources, most do not have juvenile halls and several counties share one. I've been in training with LE personnel from Del Norte, Modoc, Lassen, Plumas and Sierra county's, and there is little back up on grave yard; a deputy might need to cross the mountains to find an appropriate placement for any minor displaced, and leave one or two cars to patrol an entire large county.

No minor can be locked in a jail cell unless they are out of sound and sight of other inmates and there is no other alternative. Usually there are; there are social workers on call 24-7-365 to take abused or neglected kids into a safe haven - usually an emergency foster home. Of course a Police Officer will transport a 300 abused or neglected to the hospital when necessary, where health care professionals can evaluate the needs for the child.

However, some rural counties, usually those on the eastern slope of the Sierra Mts., have few resources, most do not have juvenile halls and several counties share one. I've been in training with LE personnel from Del Norte, Modoc, Lassen, Plumas and Sierra county's, and there is little back up on grave yard; a deputy might need to cross the mountains to find an appropriate placement for any minor displaced, and leave one or two cars to patrol an entire large county.

But they can surely put the kid in the break room instead of a cell. this is unnecessary if the kid is No 300, not dusruptive or a troublemaker. If there are no other alternatives, they should either put the kid in the break room (kitchenete) or anywhere else in the station instead of a holding cell, or at least not lock up the door and allow the kid to get out. they have no right to lock him up.

When a person comes in to file a complaint, they dont lock him up, either. they let him wait in another room if it takes time. so why should they lock up the kid? just because they have the power? i think it's a crime.

I can certainly understand if they lock up runaways or troublemaker kids or kids who committed or are suspect of some crime or misdemeanor, but if the kid did absolutely nothing wrong...

Last edited:

But they can surely put the kid in the break room instead of a cell. this is unnecessary if the kid is No 300, not dusruptive or a troublemaker. If there are no other alternatives, they should either put the kid in the break room (kitchenete) or anywhere else in the station instead of a holding cell, or at least not lock up the door and allow the kid to get out. they have no right to lock him up.

When a person comes in to file a complaint, they dont lock him up, either. they let him wait in another room if it takes time. so why should they lock up the kid? just because they have the power? i think it's a crime.

I can certainly understand if they lock up runaways or troublemaker kids or kids who committed or are suspect of some crime or misdemeanor, but if the kid did absolutely nothing wrong...

Minors are never locked up in a jail, if they are out of control they might be placed on a hold in a hospital setting, if they present a danger to themselves. If they represent a danger to others, they can be detained in a Juvenile Hall pending a detention hearing, scheduled no later than 48 judicial hours after they have been detained. At that time they appear before a Judge or Commissioner to hear the petition prepared by a probation officer, who interviewed the child, read the police report and if not ready had the officer fill out a face sheet detailing the need for detention, and spoke with a parent or guardian if available.

For 300's there are emergency foster homes, which are operated by normal citizens who have been trained by foster family agencies.

Minors are never locked up in a jail, if they are out of control they might be placed on a hold in a hospital setting, if they present a danger to themselves. If they represent a danger to others, they can be detained in a Juvenile Hall pending a detention hearing, scheduled no later than 48 judicial hours after they have been detained. At that time they appear before a Judge or Commissioner to hear the petition prepared by a probation officer, who interviewed the child, read the police report and if not ready had the officer fill out a face sheet detailing the need for detention, and spoke with a parent or guardian if available.

For 300's there are emergency foster homes, which are operated by normal citizens who have been trained by foster family agencies.

very informative. thanks.

New Topics

Forum List

Back