Shoud the Govt make illegal aliens who broke the law citizens, while rejecting those who obeyed law?

Well if they make Ted Cruz a citizen, he'll at least be able to keep his Senate job!

You do realize that you're acting on the level of Steve Mcgarrett, don't you?
That's how all you rubes acted for at least 5 years into Obama's Presidency. So what you can dish but you can't take? Sucks for you.

G5000

Hate to burst your bubble, but the majority of Americans are against illegal immigration. Majority rules. Go stand in the corner.....

What "those illegals" have in common is a powerful appreciation of our great country, as demonstrated by their determination to stay here against all odds ^^flagrant disregard for our laws^^.

Think you got confused there.

They probably appreciate America more than the average American citizen.

That's like saying that I have the right to go live in your house if I "appreciate" it more than you.

Well if they make Ted Cruz a citizen, he'll at least be able to keep his Senate job!

You do realize that you're acting on the level of Steve Mcgarrett, don't you?
That's how all you rubes acted for at least 5 years into Obama's Presidency. So what you can dish but you can't take? Sucks for you.

So....I'll take that as a yes. You do realize that you're being just as much of a fucking idiot as Steve McGarrett, and you're okay with that.

G5000

Hate to burst your bubble, but the majority of Americans are against illegal immigration. Majority rules. Go stand in the corner.....
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

A poll going back two years, right up to February 8 of this year:

Immigration

209n582.jpg

Legal status or citizenship is 59 + 19 = 78 percent.

"Deport them" = 18 percent. They are on the losing side, big time.

Poll Roundup Majority of Americans Support Immigration Reform With Citizenship

Gallup
June-July 2013

• 88% of Americans support allowing immigrants to become citizens
  • 83% of conservatives support allowing immigrants to become citizens
Plenty more evidence in the link.

On immigration, Republicans favor path to legal status, but differ over citizenship

25thutv.jpg

What Americans Want From Immigration Reform in 2014

62% of Americans favor providing a way for immigrants who are currently living in the United States illegally to become citizens provided they meet certain requirements, while 17% support allowing them to become permanent legal residents

The Republican response:

bi80le.jpg

Only 13 percent of Americans favor passing immigration reform without a path to citizenship for illegals.

13 percent.

If that is who the GOP leadership chooses to side with, they are a suicide cult.

Last edited:
As I said, the vast majority of Americans, and even the vast majority of Republicans, want legal status or a path to citizenship provided to "those illegals".

And as I also said, the OP is a false dilemma. This whole topic is built on a flawed premise.

Obiwan, you cited Rasmussen, so you must consider them a "reputable, non-partisan poll".

Most people say that foreigners who entered the U.S. illegally should be given legal residency in the country so long as they have otherwise followed the law, according to the results of a recent Rasmussen Reports survey. However, a majority of those surveyed also say they oppose granting illegal immigrants U.S. citizenship.

When asked “Should those who enter U.S. illegally but otherwise obey laws be granted U.S. citizenship or legal status without citizenship?”, two-thirds of respondents (65 percent) said illegal immigrants should be given legal status, but not citizenship. Fewer than one in five (18 percent) said illegal immigrants should get American citizenship – roughly the same number (17 percent) who said they were unsure.

Boom! 83 percent said "those illegals" should be given legal status or a path to citizenship!

Rasmussen poll.

Thank you. Thank you very muuuuuuuch.

Rasmussen is pretty biased, actually. Against illegal immigrants. It's obvious from the way they word their polls.

They very rarely ask the direct question about whether or not illegals should be granted legal status or a path to citizenship. Their questions are usually aimed at how much it sucks to have illegals here.

But even they had to ask the direct question, and found that 83 percent of Americans favor granting legal status or citizenship to illegals.

In U.S. Six in 10 Dissatisfied With Immigration Levels

You also stated that the results were about the "latest wave" of illegal immigrants? Does that mean Obama's sending them home? Of course not!

So, you see, Obama's unconstitutional amnesty opened a whole new can of worms. We may need water, but too much is not a good thing.
I made no mention of Obama's EO. But if you want to talk about that, I'm game.

You see, as I have proven over and and over and over, even using your own preferred pollster, about 80 percent of Americans want illegals to be granted legal status or a path to citizenship.

The GOP loooooooves to harp about the Will of the People™, when it suits them. But in this case, they have allowed the bigots in the party to hold them hostage, at the great risk of ignoring a super-super-majority of not only America, but of Republicans!

The GOP leadership has chosen party over country. They are deliberately ignoring the vaunted Will of the People™. They are denying legal status or a path to citizenship.

So, not for the first time, they have forced a constitutional crisis.

Obama should not have written that EO. I agree wholeheartedly with that point.

However, he would not have written that EO if the GOP was obeying what the American people are saying IN A VERY LOUD VOICE!

You can pretend the last election meant something, but all it meant is that the GOP Establishment is back on top, after being caught with their shorts down by the Tea Party in 2010. They and the Democrats can get back to the business of running our country deeper into debt.

The GOP will eventually get around to granting actual amnesty to the illegals. And the wailing and moaning and gnashing of teeth by the bigots will be most enjoyable to hear.

You see, Obama know this. He knows the GOP will eventually grant amnesty. That's why he wrote the EO which stayed the deportation of illegals. His EO was not amnesty any more than a stay of execution is a pardon.

It's all theater for the rubes, man. The GOP Establishment gets to pretend to be angry at Obama's EO "amnesty" to please the bigots, so when they actually grant amnesty it has a little less sting.

So, do you agree that we actually need controls on immigration, instead of open borders? I could go along with letting people in on a case- by-case basis (such as their having something to contribute and obeying all of our laws while here), but letting anyone who can get across the border stay is kind of like letting anyone who comes along move into your house. In the long run, it's a recipe for disaster. And Obama's blanket policy is the equivalent of leaving your door wide open for them.

about 80 percent of Americans want illegals to be granted legal status or a path to citizenship.
And they have it.

And they have had it for decades.

It's called, "Apply for an immigrant visa, wait for it to be granted, then come into the United States and start the wait and application for citizenship."

For people who have come in illegally, it's prefaced with, "First go back to your home country."

And somewhere in the middle is "Your record of violating U.S. laws will be taken into account when we are deciding who to grant immigrant visas to."

Of course people in other countries should have a path to U.S. citizenship. I agree, and so do a lot of others.

But that doesn't mean that they should automatically GET that citizenship, or any other permission to stay here.

And people who have violated our immigration laws, should be let in only after the people who obeyed those laws, are let it. If there's still room for them.

found that 83 percent of Americans favor granting legal status or citizenship to illegals.
No, they found that Americans favor them having a way to get citizenship... the one that's been in U.S. law for decades.

In other words, they don't want present law to change.

Including the part of the law that says people who are here illegally, should be deported. And once they're out, then they can avail themselves of the same "path to U.S. citizenship" that every foreigner on earth has.

The only thing these illegal aliens have in common, is that they have broken U.S. law, and are clearly willing to keep breaking it.

Is that who we want to have as the next group to be granted U.S. citizenship?

Forum List

Back