Shocked: Maine , woman says she would rather go to jail than take down her pro Trump signs

A city ordinance that's been the law on the books for decades....Did you read the op link IN FULL? Did you click on READ MORE...?
The words on her signs are not at issue, the size of her signs is what breaks the City's Ordinance.

It is a ridiculous city ordinance that likely violates her free speech rights and rights to property use.

This would be a good case to take to SCOTUS and see what they make of it into case law.
Why would the hundreds of years of city ordinances be ruled unconstitutional now?

No one is stopping her from having a sign and what she wants to say on it....the size of the sign is something I can see all cities limiting, because larger signs could be a distraction and a hazard on the public streets to drivers....

Honestly, this whole op and Infowars link IS a Nothing Burger and simply MEANT TO DIVIDE US..... on the smallest of things....

just ignore these nimrods, and these silly threads....
. You know I just thought to myself "how big are these signs" ???? I bet the excuse being used here about the signs being too big is a ridiculous one. If they are as big as a semi, then maybe the city ordinance should kick in, but if the signs are only the size of realestate signs, then who cares other than someone that hates Trump.

Why would the hundreds of years of city ordinances be ruled unconstitutional now?

For the same reason that we had centuries of racially segregated schools that were suddenly ruled unconstitutional; sometimes it takes our judges time to realize that certain assumptions simply are not true, such as the right of a city to make arbitrary restrictions on what property owners do with their property.

Spite walls and billboards are one thing, but a 2x3 sign is just horse shit.

No one is stopping her from having a sign and what she wants to say on it....the size of the sign is something I can see all cities limiting, because larger signs could be a distraction and a hazard on the public streets to drivers....

Except at election time, apparently. Then people become magically able to focus on their driving and not the two hundred election signs people have in their front yards, lol.

Honestly, this whole op and Infowars link IS a Nothing Burger and simply MEANT TO DIVIDE US..... on the smallest of things....

Meh, I dont care so much that liberals are using their power to suppress support for Trump. They have been doing things like that for centuries.

I find it interesting that more and more people are questioning various assumptions regarding the scope of government power at every level.
blaming the government for enforcing the city ordinance is misplaced anger imo...change the ordinance if the town wants to change it, but outsiders like you and the op are just being trouble makers and sticking your nose where it does not belong.
. Oh yeah ???? What happened to the collective ?? Oh that just applies to liberals when they want to defeat a conservative on an issue, so then it's time to get on the bus, and to get shipped around the country in a collective, but now you say stay out of it you outsiders ?? LOL

A city ordinance that's been the law on the books for decades....Did you read the op link IN FULL? Did you click on READ MORE...?
The words on her signs are not at issue, the size of her signs is what breaks the City's Ordinance.

It is a ridiculous city ordinance that likely violates her free speech rights and rights to property use.

This would be a good case to take to SCOTUS and see what they make of it into case law.

. You know I just thought to myself "how big are these signs" ???? I bet the excuse being used here about the signs being too big is a ridiculous one. If they are as big as a semi, then maybe the city ordinance should kick in, but if the signs are only the size of realestate signs, then who cares other than someone that hates Trump.
they are banners that are more than 50% larger than the city ordinance allows.

Seriously, why get bent out of shape over this? The town will figure it out...

It's against the law in her town to have a sign in your yard larger than 2 x 2 ft, her signs are larger than 2 x 3 ft.... I bet some sign shop would proportionately copy and make the signs in a smaller version that meets the sign/banner code in her area, and maybe even do it for free or thru donations I'm certain she could get. Maybe she'll get Trump's attention and his campaign could pay to get her signs reduced to the proper size, to be legal?
How does the town have any right to tell her what kind of freaking sign she can have in her yard?

The absolute stupidity of the ordinance be damned

It's against the law in her town to have a sign in your yard larger than 2 x 2 ft, her signs are larger than 2 x 3 ft.... I bet some sign shop would proportionately copy and make the signs in a smaller version that meets the sign/banner code in her area, and maybe even do it for free or thru donations I'm certain she could get. Maybe she'll get Trump's attention and his campaign could pay to get her signs reduced to the proper size, to be legal?
How does the town have any right to tell her what kind of freaking sign she can have in her yard?

The absolute stupidity of the ordinance be damned
I have no problem with the city gvt changing it, if that is what the citizens want to do....

it certainly is none of your business or my business since it is not my town ordinance, and is seems silly that an issue is even made of this....but leave it to Infowars, to pass the hate.

I have no problem with the city gvt changing it, if that is what the citizens want to do....
it certainly is none of your business or my business since it is not my town ordinance, and is seems silly that an issue is even made of this....but leave it to Infowars, to pass the hate.
I disagree, C4A.

Rolling back the scope and power of the Goobermint to stick its goobernatorial nose into everyones bidness seems like everyones bidness.

. Anyone offended by what this woman is doing in her yard, and this being in regards to signs that she has put up, is not offended by a sign at all, but is offended by what the sign says plain and simple. Someone in her town has influence with local officials, and has talked these officials into doing some dirty work for them. I bet you that there are junked up yards from hell in the town, and no one says a dang thing about them, but ohhh the horror's of a pro-Trump sign... Good grief how dang stupid is this nation getting now ?????????

Isn't following the law a conservative value?

If people in her area don't like what she does with her property, United is ready whenever they are.

God bless you and her always!!!

Holly
Do you condone violating the law?
It depends on the stupidity of the law. Who is hurt or killed by that woman having a sign in her yard?

Holly
But that sign is a hole 12 inches too long?

What are we becoming anarchists?

roflmao

I disagree, C4A.

Rolling back the scope and power of the Goobermint to stick its goobernatorial nose into everyones bidness seems like everyones bidness.
The ordinance has been around for decades, and maybe when it was created some 40-50 years ago it was for some forgotten political reason, but I doubt anyone around enforcing the law today, has any idea what that political reason was....

Yes, there were neighbors that complained to their city government,

if there was no sign size ordinance, or if she had a gazillion of the proper size signs hung from every room in her house and across her entire front yard, it would matter naught and the city would not get involved....but because she was breaking the law, they HAD TO step in with the other citizens complaint, and uphold the law.

Simple as that....for all you know the govt guy in charge of city code, is a Trump supporter as well...my state was about 50/50 Clinton/Trump with Clinton overall, just slightly edging him out, and he is simply applying the law.

If people in her area don't like what she does with her property, United is ready whenever they are.

Holly
Do you condone violating the law?
It depends on the stupidity of the law. Who is hurt or killed by that woman having a sign in her yard?

Holly
But that sign is a hole 12 inches too long?

What are we becoming anarchists?

roflmao
that 12 inches plus, makes the signs 50% larger than the ordinance permits...

2 x 2 = 4 permitted
2 x 3 = 6 50% larger

And what is it exactly do you want the govt to do? IGNORE the law and spit on it?

The ordinance has been around for decades, and maybe when it was created some 40-50 years ago it was for some forgotten political reason, but I doubt anyone around enforcing the law today, has any idea what that political reason was....
Bad laws cannot be tolerated simply because they have been around a long time.

Thats all the more reason to get rid of or modify the law.

that 12 inches plus, makes the signs 50% larger than the ordinance permits...

2 x 2 = 4 permitted
2 x 3 = 6 50% larger

And what is it exactly do you want the govt to do? IGNORE the law and spit on it?

Silly little nitpicking laws like that are usually used only as pretexts to do investigations for more serious suspected crimes.
Lol, just admit it, the Democrats at City Hall got mad about this Trump supporters still having her sign out and are using the law to harass the lady into taking the sign down.

That is plainly all this is.

Leave the woman be, lol.

It wouldn't even occur to me to complain about something like that, to leverage the law against her. Who gives a shit.

Is it the proliferation of coffee houses? Is it too much caffeine? Is that what has happened to us?
I wouldn't have complained either, but who knows, maybe some neighbor is trying to sell their house and don't want the distraction....

but seriously, that isn't the point...the crappy neighbor who ratted....

the point is, the size of her signs, breaks the city ordinance on signs in residential neighborhoods....

I live rural, my town has no such ordinance for us and if I wanted to wrap my entire house with Donald Trump wrapping paper, I could or my neighbor's could and no ones complaint to the town, could do a thing to me or anyone.... and I like living rural and having that freedom....

Bad laws cannot be tolerated simply because they have been around a long time.

Thats all the more reason to get rid of or modify the law.
and as I said, I have no problems with them changing the law if that is what their town people want, but in the mean time, she needs to follow the law and get herself a million 2 x 2 signs....

If she is willing to go to jail for her peaceful protest, in she believes is a bad law, then why would you have a problem with that? Real liberal progressives should not have an issue with people protesting bad laws. Why do you?

If she would rather go to jail than follow the law, then I would certainly grant her wish. Lock the old bat up.

What are you even talking about? She has a right to free speech.

What law is she breaking? Please explain... The "executive branch" (of a local jurisdiction) is the one breaking the law here.

A higher court would shoot down the town's interpretation of the law as a free speech violation. If anything the woman would get fined, not go to jail. You need a warrant to arrest the woman for violations on her private property, which no court would legally be able to give out since it violates a Constitutional right.

That is why she needs to follow through with what she feels is a violation of her freedom of expression. A real liberal would back her for challenging the Constitutionality of the law. What we have here are Regressives that only believe in laws that follow their agenda which is stifling free expression.

Forum List

Back