Shelby 289 Cobra

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
Awesome little car

1607604745680.png

Check this out-

The original 289 Cobra, for me, is the prettiest car to ever come out of the Shelby American and AC Cars Limited Partnership. It is the quintessential 60s sports car and represents the start of Carroll Shelby's partnership with Ford which resulted in Shelby American's legendary victories in the SCCA, FIA, and LeMans. While most enthusiasts and replica builders prefer the wide fenders of the 427 Cobra, the "Slab Side" cars have an understated elegance that the big block cars fail to capture.

This Cobra Sports Roadster, offered by RM Private Sales, was shipped to the US on November, 7th, 1963 to Shelby American's Venice facility where it was fitted with its 271 hp, 289 Hi-Po V8 and four-speed manual transmission. The car invoiced to Pearson Ford in San Diego in January 1964 with an MSRP of $6,747.50 with options, license, and tax (about $55,600 today adjusted for inflation).

The 289 was a game changer for Ford. It is/was a middle kid. Big brother to the 221 and 260, little brother to the 302- the 302 is now the 5.0 in the push rod engine- I remember reading about somebody, probably in California, in 67? IMS, that had built one that made something nearly or just over 400 HP which was lot for 289 cubic inches- the article made note that the magic number for internal combustion, naturally aspirated engines, was 2 hp/cubic inch- I had a buddy that had a 64 Fairlane 4 door sedan with a 3 speed over-drive Hi-Po 289 from the factory. I bet that thing would be worth fortune now- as is this Cobra.

OOPS for got the link

Last edited:
Yes, it was an awesome little sports car. It also became a good example of the phenomenon that if something is already crazy (a V8 in a 2100 lb roadster), someone will make it even crazier before you know it (7-liter V8 in the same car).

In the late 60's and early 70's they used to run auto-cross ( think it's called) in a large parking lot near me, and these things used to kick ass. Fun to watch.

Awesome little car

View attachment 427312

Check this out-

The original 289 Cobra, for me, is the prettiest car to ever come out of the Shelby American and AC Cars Limited Partnership. It is the quintessential 60s sports car and represents the start of Carroll Shelby's partnership with Ford which resulted in Shelby American's legendary victories in the SCCA, FIA, and LeMans. While most enthusiasts and replica builders prefer the wide fenders of the 427 Cobra, the "Slab Side" cars have an understated elegance that the big block cars fail to capture.

This Cobra Sports Roadster, offered by RM Private Sales, was shipped to the US on November, 7th, 1963 to Shelby American's Venice facility where it was fitted with its 271 hp, 289 Hi-Po V8 and four-speed manual transmission. The car invoiced to Pearson Ford in San Diego in January 1964 with an MSRP of $6,747.50 with options, license, and tax (about $55,600 today adjusted for inflation).

The 289 was a game changer for Ford. It is/was a middle kid. Big brother to the 221 and 260, little brother to the 302- the 302 is now the 5.0 in the push rod engine- I remember reading about somebody, probably in California, in 67? IMS, that had built one that made something nearly or just over 400 HP which was lot for 289 cubic inches- the article made note that the magic number for internal combustion, naturally aspirated engines, was 2 hp/cubic inch- I had a buddy that had a 64 Fairlane 4 door sedan with a 3 speed over-drive Hi-Po 289 from the factory. I bet that thing would be worth fortune now- as is this Cobra.

OOPS for got the link
I totally agree with you.

Though I was an AJ Foyt and Grand Sport Corvette fan at the time, the 289 is the classiest Cobra and the one I would choose if I had a spare $10 million to spend

In the late 60's and early 70's they used to run auto-cross ( think it's called) in a large parking lot near me, and these things used to kick ass. Fun to watch.
The proper name in America is gymkhana - though I need to look up the spelling

A true sports car in every genuine sense of the term. A brute, not for the timid or inexperienced. The XKE had it for beauty and was no slouch either for performance and handling. The Corvettes were just too "Detroitized" to be faithful to what sports cars were.

The proper name in America is gymkhana - though I need to look up the spelling
I used to work on these for the local club (your spelling is correct). Great experience for a young motorhead. Didn't have a competitive car then, though I ran my VW in a hill climb (took second place).

In 1964 my parents were shopping for a new car. We tried a lot, but I convinced my dad, who was himself a very good mechanic, that the 289 was a great engine. So, they bought a Galaxy (burgundy with black interior) with the tree-speed auto. Nice looking for an American car. He loved it (so did I) and kept it in superb condition. Twenty years later is was still going quite strong.

Awesome little car

View attachment 427312

Check this out-

OOPS for got the link
Nice post, wonderful car. Too bad it's white (?!?). Should at least be in America racing colors (blue stripe). Otherwise, B.R.G., red, silver, anything but white.

• Banned
Too bad it's white (?!?).

Recently the car was restored and refinished in its original white with red interior
, riding Michelin XWX tires which are mounted on chrome wire wheels. While the original engine is lost to time, an original 289 K-Code engine has been fitted to the original Borg-Warner T-10 aluminum four-speed manual transmission. The body is original with the doors, hood latch, and trunk latch, each stamped correctly with “2216.”

Forum List

Back