Shalako

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
I watched this last night. Its a bit of a rarity being a European western that doesnt include spaghetti. Sean Connery stars as Shalako, an army scout sent to rescue a group of Euro aristocrats on a hunting trip in Apache country.

Brigitte Bardot is the love interest and Jack Hawkins is also in it.

Woody Strode plays Chatto for some reason.

It moves along quite nicely and ,apart from the Aristos utter stupidity, is mostly believable. It was filmed in Spain but to my eyes it looks like the US. Even has a cheesy theme tune. Give it a try, I think you might like it.

I watched this last night. Its a bit of a rarity being a European western that doesnt include spaghetti. Sean Connery stars as Shalako, an army scout sent to rescue a group of Euro aristocrats on a hunting trip in Apache country.

It moves along quite nicely and ,apart from the Aristos utter stupidity, is mostly believable. It was filmed in Spain but to my eyes it looks like the US. Even has a cheesy theme tune. Give it a try, I think you might like it.

I only like several Westerns - "Once Upon A Time In The West" and "High Plains Drifter"

Here is the original trailer:

Once Upon a Time in the West - Wikipedia

High Plains Drifter - Wikipedia

James Stewart was in many Westerns I do not like any of them, I prefer him in film noir and crime detective films eg. "Call Northside 777" made in 1948 directed by Henry Hathaway with Richard Conte also Lee J. Cobb, this film based on an actual happening in real life:

Call Northside 777 - Wikipedia

It is an excellent film and below the full film, the duration one hour and fifty one minutes:

I only like several Westerns - "Once Upon A Time In The West" and "High Plains Drifter"

James Stewart was in many Westerns I do not like any of them, I prefer him in film noir and crime detective films eg. "Call Northside 777" made in 1948 directed by Henry Hathaway with Richard Conte also Lee J. Cobb, this film based on an actual happening in real life:

It is an excellent film and below the full film, the duration one hour and fifty one minutes:

Im not a huge fan of spaghetti westerns if I am honest. Or any stylised variations. I dont like westerns that use modern speech patterns or bogus ninja style violence.
I am pretty conservative when it comes to westerns. Its a shame you dont like James Stewart.He made some great westerns over tthe years. Bend of the River is a classic.

Im not a huge fan of spaghetti westerns if I am honest. Or any stylised variations. I dont like westerns that use modern speech patterns or bogus ninja style violence.
I am pretty conservative when it comes to westerns. Its a shame you dont like James Stewart.He made some great westerns over tthe years. Bend of the River is a classic.

I think perhaps is Western a male thing? That men like Westerns that there is something in Westerns that appeal to men but not women, perhaps I don't know. I note Bend of the River and I will see if I can find a copy to watch.

You if you are conservative about Westerns might not like "Bad Day At Black Rock" made in 1955 but you might if you watch it and not think of it as a Western per se, it's an excellent film I like it because it is a combination of Western and film noir, I like some mystery situation, where something dark has happened or something dark is being hidden so "Bad Day At Black Rock" contains this, it share this dark mystery element with "High Plains Drifter" I add.

Bad Day at Black Rock - Wikipedia

I think perhaps is Western a male thing? That men like Westerns that there is something in Westerns that appeal to men but not women, perhaps I don't know. I note Bend of the River and I will see if I can find a copy to watch.

You if you are conservative about Westerns might not like "Bad Day At Black Rock" made in 1955 but you might if you watch it and not think of it as a Western per se, it's an excellent film I like it because it is a combination of Western and film noir, I like some mystery situation, where something dark has happened or something dark is being hidden so "Bad Day At Black Rock" contains this, it share this dark mystery element with "High Plains Drifter" I add.

Bad Day at Black Rock - Wikipedia

Yes thats a great movie.You really want the baddies to get their come uppance. I think the plotline has been used many times. I was watching a Rory Calhoun western last week and it was pretty similar. Cant remember what it was called. There are loads of copies of Bend of the River on youtube if you have a look..

New Topics

Forum List

Back