Serious?

You won't address the original question...how do you defend spending that much money to ship teams too and fro.

It has been addressed over and over. There is no need to "defend." Your rather transparent choice of words speaks volumes.

Uh...no. Couldn't that money be spent on resources rather than diesel or gasoline to transport kids across the state to play meaningless games?

Here again you expose your bias and, frankly, blockheadedness, in the use of the word "meaningless."
The games are meaningless. Its the nature of something being a game.

Just because your life experiences and limited intelligence prevent you from seeing the meaning in competitive sport, this does not indicate that such meaning is not there. All money could be spent on other resources, but some money will be spent on sports no matter how bitter your impotence grows.

So you can't come up with any reason other than some ephemeral meaning you attach to games that many spectators cannot recall a few days later.

Thanks.

iu

Seriously, just because you have some deep-seated abnormal problem with team sports doesn't mean they aren't beneficial to developing children. Always picked last for Red Rover were you? Apparently the whole country disagrees with you and has for decades, so you can fuck off with that idiocy.

What ever you say fuck stain.

Motivation, community, commitment.

Motivation should come from within. If sports teaches you anything it is that. You can't be motivated to beat a classmate?

Community? How does a sports team build community? It may build commarodarie (sp?) within the team but it doesn't build "community"

Commitment? You can't be committed to beating a classmate?

There is so much stunning ignorance in this string of posts it almost takes my breath away.

Just for one nugget: "games no one remembers a few days later". Yeah. That's why there are sports networks dedicated to playing and re-playing games people are still talking about decades later. That's why people save up money and spend their precious money on all kinds of "game" stuff.

You're like one of those people who don't "get it" and so moan about why it is, instead of ATTEMPTING to get it. Sucks to be you.

They replay high school football games on sports networks? Yep...you're exhibiting the stunning ignorance.

You're missing the point on purpose because you can't debate the larger point. Because you've already lost.

You brought up sports networks and replays.

That doesn't apply to high school sports. Because the games are meaningless. The Sugar Bowl is big money for the universities that play in it and it defrays some of the money wasted on fielding a football team. The Class 1 Missouri High School Football Championship? Total waste of money for the districts.

But the students, staff, and parents enjoy it, so Fuck You! :fu:

It has been addressed over and over. There is no need to "defend." Your rather transparent choice of words speaks volumes.

Uh...no. Couldn't that money be spent on resources rather than diesel or gasoline to transport kids across the state to play meaningless games?
Chalk is cheap. Weekend PTA painting sprees work well. Fixing stuff by parents is often done. Drive a few kids around? Why is that a problem? I've driven up to a thousand miles for a single weekend of footy when younger ..admittedly not at school but a more usual sports day at school was under 40 miles return(usually much less).

Greg

Yep...that is on your dime.

The taxpayers who are paying for 3 or 4 busses transporting kids to play a meaningless game hundreds of miles away are getting shafted; especially when they school needs that revenue for other purposes.

I'm certainly not against physical education. You just don't need to travel across the state (or even across the county) to play another team. In the example I listed earlier, this one school drove their caravan 1,500 miles or so. And they played more home games than most of the schools since they had the home field advantage being the higher seed in the playoffs.

How big a team are we talking about?? That's 200 kids??

Greg

The team, the band, the equipment.... Call it 2 buses if you want. The point is sending kids to play meaningless games all around the State is a waste of money.

Do the kids chip in for the travel? I know they do here.

Greg

Chalk is cheap. Weekend PTA painting sprees work well. Fixing stuff by parents is often done. Drive a few kids around? Why is that a problem? I've driven up to a thousand miles for a single weekend of footy when younger ..admittedly not at school but a more usual sports day at school was under 40 miles return(usually much less).

Greg

The taxpayers who are paying for 3 or 4 busses transporting kids to play a meaningless game hundreds of miles away are getting shafted; especially when they school needs that revenue for other purposes.

I'm certainly not against physical education. You just don't need to travel across the state (or even across the county) to play another team. In the example I listed earlier, this one school drove their caravan 1,500 miles or so. And they played more home games than most of the schools since they had the home field advantage being the higher seed in the playoffs.

Greg

The team, the band, the equipment.... Call it 2 buses if you want. The point is sending kids to play meaningless games all around the State is a waste of money.

Greg

Yes. They have fundraisers and all that.

Motivation, community, commitment.

Motivation should come from within. If sports teaches you anything it is that. You can't be motivated to beat a classmate?

Community? How does a sports team build community? It may build commarodarie (sp?) within the team but it doesn't build "community"

There is so much stunning ignorance in this string of posts it almost takes my breath away.

Just for one nugget: "games no one remembers a few days later". Yeah. That's why there are sports networks dedicated to playing and re-playing games people are still talking about decades later. That's why people save up money and spend their precious money on all kinds of "game" stuff.

You're like one of those people who don't "get it" and so moan about why it is, instead of ATTEMPTING to get it. Sucks to be you.

They replay high school football games on sports networks? Yep...you're exhibiting the stunning ignorance.

You're missing the point on purpose because you can't debate the larger point. Because you've already lost.

That doesn't apply to high school sports. Because the games are meaningless. The Sugar Bowl is big money for the universities that play in it and it defrays some of the money wasted on fielding a football team. The Class 1 Missouri High School Football Championship? Total waste of money for the districts.
What do the kids think about it?

Greg

Greg

Greg

Greg

Yes. They have fundraisers and all that.
I've seen local schools here have fund raisers for their sports teams.

Greg

Greg

Greg

Boston, MA – A new NPR/Robert Wood Johnson Foundation/Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health poll finds that although almost three in four adults played sports when they were younger (73%), only one in four (25%) continue to play sports as adults.

But that decline in interest doesn’t stop parents from encouraging their children to make sports a part of their lives. In fact, almost nine in ten parents whose middle school or high school aged child plays sports (89%) say that their child benefits a great deal or quite a bit from participating in sports.

And, while most adults no longer play sports themselves, the majority of parents (72%) whose child plays sports say it is very likely or somewhat likely that their child will continue participating in sports when he/she becomes an adult. One in four parents (26%) whose high school aged child plays sports also hope their child will become a professional athlete.

When parents were asked about the benefits that their middle school or high school aged child gets from playing sports, more than eight in ten parents whose child plays sports say their child benefits a great deal or quite a bit in his/her physical health (88%) and helping him/her learn about discipline or dedication (81%). More than seven in ten parents say that playing sports benefits their child a great deal or quite a bit in learning how to get along with other people (78%) and his/her mental health (73%). More than half of parents report playing sports benefits their child a great deal or quite a bit in giving him/her skills to help in future schooling (56%), and giving him/her skills to help in a future career (55%).

Parents believe their children benefit from playing sports Among the 72% of parents who said their middle or high school aged child played sports in the past year, % saying child benefited ‘a great deal’ or ‘quite a bit’ in the following ways:
Benefits child’s physical health 88%
Gives child something to do 83%
Child learns about discipline or dedication 81%
Child learns how to get along with other people 78%
Benefits child’s mental health 73%
Benefits child’s social life 65%
Gives child skills to help in future schooling 56%
Gives child skills to help in future career 55%
“Sports are a critical component of a healthy community. They help children and adults maintain a healthy weight, teach acceptance and teamwork, and expand opportunity for children living in poverty,” said Risa Lavizzo-Mourey, MD, President and CEO of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. “This poll indicates that we must continue to encourage children to play sports, but just as important, we must find ways to keep adults engaged in sports in order to maintain health and well-being.”

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/p...-played-sports-when-young-but-few-still-play/

Seems most parents are not with you on this. Are you a couch slug??

Greg

Here again you expose your bias and, frankly, blockheadedness, in the use of the word "meaningless."

Just because your life experiences and limited intelligence prevent you from seeing the meaning in competitive sport, this does not indicate that such meaning is not there. All money could be spent on other resources, but some money will be spent on sports no matter how bitter your impotence grows.

So you can't come up with any reason other than some ephemeral meaning you attach to games that many spectators cannot recall a few days later.

Thanks.

iu

Seriously, just because you have some deep-seated abnormal problem with team sports doesn't mean they aren't beneficial to developing children. Always picked last for Red Rover were you? Apparently the whole country disagrees with you and has for decades, so you can fuck off with that idiocy.

“Sports are a critical component of a healthy community. They help children and adults maintain a healthy weight, teach acceptance and teamwork, and expand opportunity for children living in poverty,” said Risa Lavizzo-Mourey, MD, President and CEO of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. “This poll indicates that we must continue to encourage children to play sports, but just as important, we must find ways to keep adults engaged in sports in order to maintain health and well-being.”

From that same article. Seems you want sluggards and porkies.

Greg

Greg

Greg

Greg

We certainly didn't when I played sports in high school. We certainly didn't when we went to academic competitions.

Greg

Who cares?

Greg

Who cares?

Well, I sure hope you weren't on the debate team, because you just lost that debate.

Thanks.

iu

Greg

Don't be stupid.

Sports are important. Traveling across the state to play them isn't.
The games that are played are meaningless once they get there. Play your classmates. Same activities, same "lessons" learned, same calories burned....

Greg

Greg

Boston, MA – A new NPR/Robert Wood Johnson Foundation/Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health poll finds that although almost three in four adults played sports when they were younger (73%), only one in four (25%) continue to play sports as adults.

But that decline in interest doesn’t stop parents from encouraging their children to make sports a part of their lives. In fact, almost nine in ten parents whose middle school or high school aged child plays sports (89%) say that their child benefits a great deal or quite a bit from participating in sports.

And, while most adults no longer play sports themselves, the majority of parents (72%) whose child plays sports say it is very likely or somewhat likely that their child will continue participating in sports when he/she becomes an adult. One in four parents (26%) whose high school aged child plays sports also hope their child will become a professional athlete.

When parents were asked about the benefits that their middle school or high school aged child gets from playing sports, more than eight in ten parents whose child plays sports say their child benefits a great deal or quite a bit in his/her physical health (88%) and helping him/her learn about discipline or dedication (81%). More than seven in ten parents say that playing sports benefits their child a great deal or quite a bit in learning how to get along with other people (78%) and his/her mental health (73%). More than half of parents report playing sports benefits their child a great deal or quite a bit in giving him/her skills to help in future schooling (56%), and giving him/her skills to help in a future career (55%).

Parents believe their children benefit from playing sports Among the 72% of parents who said their middle or high school aged child played sports in the past year, % saying child benefited ‘a great deal’ or ‘quite a bit’ in the following ways:

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/p...-played-sports-when-young-but-few-still-play/

Greg

Again, all that can be learned without traveling 1,500 miles in a season.

Greg

Who cares?

Well, I sure hope you weren't on the debate team, because you just lost that debate.

What ever you say fuck stain. Kids probably want chocolate cake 3 times a day too.

Greg

Greg

Greg

We certainly didn't when I played sports in high school. We certainly didn't when we went to academic competitions.

Were you really good at ringing the bell??

Greg

Greg

Greg

Greg

1500 miles is frankly hardly a bloody weekend drive here. lol

But yes; if the kids don't WANT to do it then they don't have to play. Why is that a problem for you, low functioning idiot?

Greg

Greg

Greg

1500 miles is frankly hardly a bloody weekend drive here. lol

But yes; if the kids don't WANT to do it then they don't have to play. Why is that a problem for you, low functioning idiot?

Greg

You seem to be missing the point.
I'd like to think you're pretending to be dense.
But we both know you're not pretending.

Biggest concern:

Mental health crisis and its impact on our students and education.

I'd love an explanation of how the current generation of kids are somehow having a crisis?

Why invest money for some kid to become a musician? How does that help us out?

But sports are important. Kids are too soft. Gym should continue to be a part of school. In case we ever have a war.

what about the 101st bagpipe battalion?
220px-Scotishadvanceepsom.jpg

If you were an accomplished musician and I (for some foolish reason) tried to denigrate music instruction in school as a waste of time - a position obviously informed in large part by my own inexperience with music - then your opinion would be more valid than mine, and if I had a lick of sense I would listen to you about something you know much more about than I do.

i'm a musician , no i'm not going to quit my day job, thx.

But this sports/arts thing is obviously skewed.

Let me put it this way, i learned to wrestle and play music {insert any art form} in HS, which do you think you'll be able to do middle aged?

Chalk is cheap

the h*ll it is, our school budget is insane here

~S~

Thanks.

iu

Greg

Don't be stupid.

Sports are important. Traveling across the state to play them isn't.
The games that are played are meaningless once they get there. Play your classmates. Same activities, same "lessons" learned, same calories burned....
Not the same standard attained. Not the same commitment, not the same satisfaction.

Greg

Biggest concern:

Mental health crisis and its impact on our students and education.

I'd love an explanation of how the current generation of kids are somehow having a crisis?

Why invest money for some kid to become a musician? How does that help us out?

But sports are important. Kids are too soft. Gym should continue to be a part of school. In case we ever have a war.

what about the 101st bagpipe battalion?
220px-Scotishadvanceepsom.jpg

If you were an accomplished musician and I (for some foolish reason) tried to denigrate music instruction in school as a waste of time - a position obviously informed in large part by my own inexperience with music - then your opinion would be more valid than mine, and if I had a lick of sense I would listen to you about something you know much more about than I do.

i'm a musician , no i'm not going to quit my day job, thx.

But this sports/arts thing is obviously skewed.

Let me put it this way, i learned to wrestle and play music {insert any art form} in HS, which do you think you'll be able to do middle aged?

Chalk is cheap

the h*ll it is, our school budget is insane here

~S~
So how much do they spend on chalk? It's quite cheap here. I buy it for the grandkids.

Greg

Forum List

Back