Serious?

You won't address the original question...how do you defend spending that much money to ship teams too and fro.

It has been addressed over and over. There is no need to "defend." Your rather transparent choice of words speaks volumes.

Uh...no. Couldn't that money be spent on resources rather than diesel or gasoline to transport kids across the state to play meaningless games?

You won't address the original question...how do you defend spending that much money to ship teams too and fro.

It has been addressed over and over. There is no need to "defend." Your rather transparent choice of words speaks volumes.

Uh...no. Couldn't that money be spent on resources rather than diesel or gasoline to transport kids across the state to play meaningless games?

Here again you expose your bias and, frankly, blockheadedness, in the use of the word "meaningless." Just because your life experiences and limited intelligence prevent you from seeing the meaning in competitive sport, this does not indicate that such meaning is not there. All money could be spent on other resources, but some money will be spent on sports no matter how bitter your impotence grows.

Here again you expose your bias and, frankly, blockheadedness, in the use of the word "meaningless."
The games are meaningless. Its the nature of something being a game.

Just because your life experiences and limited intelligence prevent you from seeing the meaning in competitive sport, this does not indicate that such meaning is not there. All money could be spent on other resources, but some money will be spent on sports no matter how bitter your impotence grows.

So you can't come up with any reason other than some ephemeral meaning you attach to games that many spectators cannot recall a few days later.

Thanks.

.... Your classmate can provide competition.

Not really. Not of the same sort.
Why can't a classmate provide competition?

Motivation, community, commitment.

Motivation should come from within. If sports teaches you anything it is that. You can't be motivated to beat a classmate?

Community? How does a sports team build community? It may build commarodarie (sp?) within the team but it doesn't build "community"

Commitment? You can't be committed to beating a classmate?

Motivation should come from within. If sports teaches you anything it is that. You can't be motivated to beat a classmate?

Community? How does a sports team build community? It may build commarodarie (sp?) within the team but it doesn't build "community"

There is so much stunning ignorance in this string of posts it almost takes my breath away.

Just for one nugget: "games no one remembers a few days later". Yeah. That's why there are sports networks dedicated to playing and re-playing games people are still talking about decades later. That's why people save up money and spend their precious money on all kinds of "game" stuff.

You're like one of those people who don't "get it" and so moan about why it is, instead of ATTEMPTING to get it. Sucks to be you.

What percentage of teachers do you reckon favor left wing politics?

To be honest, most of the educators I have taught with are what I would call "soft liberals" or "garden-variety liberals". They don't have the time or energy to devote much to politics and are not much interested in it, and are extremely soft-hearted, so are easy prey for the "talking points". So, the default position is liberal. However (and this is a big however), they tend to live very "conservative" lives: they are largely married with children, live in the suburbs and--if I dare say it--are conventionally "American". I don't mean that in any racial or religious way. I just mean that in minivan, mortgage, dog, kids. They are NOT far Left. They are NOT interested in "indoctrinating" children.

Granted, I have never taught in far Leftist bastions, where I suspect this might be different. But although I am conservative, I find the conservative talking points about education really overblown. Not all wrong, but way overblown.
Conservative talking points are both wrong and overblown with regard to education – the lies of ‘leftist bastions’ and ‘liberal agenda’ in particular.

Indeed, my experience teaching some 30 years ago is no different than today: educators who are underpaid, underappreciated, and overworked – the consequence mostly of failed, wrongheaded Republican fiscal dogma and the right’s general contempt for education and educators.

Whether it be budget cuts, ‘charter’ schools, or Republicans’ contempt for teacher organizations, the root of most education problems is the unwarranted hostility most conservatives have for public school systems and public education.

I don't accept that. My parents and many of my parents' friends were very conservative and valued education and hard work. It seems that those who didn't value Education were usually mushy lazy types who were into handouts. There weren't many of them at my school(Catholic) but it was very noticeable at the local State High School where some of my friends at the time went. Now I am told by some old timers that the State Schools of old were just as conservative as my Alma mater but that all changed in the 80s when they got rid of strict rules and corporal punishment. It was when many trendy teaching ideas began to infiltrate the Ed system. That was when I began going to those Parent/Teacher Assn. meets. I was stunned when some wanted to bring in sex education in PRIMARY SCHOOL!! I suggested that if kids knew too much they were being groomed so the Police should be called. Many agreed but a few were horrified. Unfortunately the "horrified" seemed to have their ideas implemented even though they were not the general view.

Just some thoughts.

Greg

Chalk is cheap. Weekend PTA painting sprees work well. Fixing stuff by parents is often done. Drive a few kids around? Why is that a problem? I've driven up to a thousand miles for a single weekend of footy when younger ..admittedly not at school but a more usual sports day at school was under 40 miles return(usually much less).

Greg

There is so much stunning ignorance in this string of posts it almost takes my breath away.

Just for one nugget: "games no one remembers a few days later". Yeah. That's why there are sports networks dedicated to playing and re-playing games people are still talking about decades later. That's why people save up money and spend their precious money on all kinds of "game" stuff.

You're like one of those people who don't "get it" and so moan about why it is, instead of ATTEMPTING to get it. Sucks to be you.

They replay high school football games on sports networks? Yep...you're exhibiting the stunning ignorance.

We bloody well were. We wanted to be as near the top as possible in a red raw meat for breakfast manner. We were highly competitive but also took that fact that we might not be the smartest or best in our stride. being a bitch to someone who got better marks was frankly a sign of poor character. Sometimes going from twelfth to seventh is a damn fine effort.

Greg

Chalk is cheap. Weekend PTA painting sprees work well. Fixing stuff by parents is often done. Drive a few kids around? Why is that a problem? I've driven up to a thousand miles for a single weekend of footy when younger ..admittedly not at school but a more usual sports day at school was under 40 miles return(usually much less).

Greg

Yep...that is on your dime.

The taxpayers who are paying for 3 or 4 busses transporting kids to play a meaningless game hundreds of miles away are getting shafted; especially when they school needs that revenue for other purposes.

I'm certainly not against physical education. You just don't need to travel across the state (or even across the county) to play another team. In the example I listed earlier, this one school drove their caravan 1,500 miles or so. And they played more home games than most of the schools since they had the home field advantage being the higher seed in the playoffs.

We bloody well were. We wanted to be as near the top as possible in a red raw meat for breakfast manner. We were highly competitive but also took that fact that we might not be the smartest or best in our stride. being a bitch to someone who got better marks was frankly a sign of poor character. Sometimes going from twelfth to seventh is a damn fine effort.

Greg

And if you hadn't been on that team or whatever, you likely would have turned out the be the same lowlife you are today. Clearly whatever benefits derived didn't include you learning very much.

Greg

The taxpayers who are paying for 3 or 4 busses transporting kids to play a meaningless game hundreds of miles away are getting shafted; especially when they school needs that revenue for other purposes.

I'm certainly not against physical education. You just don't need to travel across the state (or even across the county) to play another team. In the example I listed earlier, this one school drove their caravan 1,500 miles or so. And they played more home games than most of the schools since they had the home field advantage being the higher seed in the playoffs.

How big a team are we talking about?? That's 200 kids??

Greg

They replay high school football games on sports networks? Yep...you're exhibiting the stunning ignorance.

You're missing the point on purpose because you can't debate the larger point. Because you've already lost.

Here again you expose your bias and, frankly, blockheadedness, in the use of the word "meaningless."
The games are meaningless. Its the nature of something being a game.

Just because your life experiences and limited intelligence prevent you from seeing the meaning in competitive sport, this does not indicate that such meaning is not there. All money could be spent on other resources, but some money will be spent on sports no matter how bitter your impotence grows.

So you can't come up with any reason other than some ephemeral meaning you attach to games that many spectators cannot recall a few days later.

Thanks.

iu

Seriously, just because you have some deep-seated abnormal problem with team sports doesn't mean they aren't beneficial to developing children. Always picked last for Red Rover were you? Apparently the whole country disagrees with you and has for decades, so you can fuck off with that idiocy.

Greg

And if you hadn't been on that team or whatever, you likely would have turned out the be the same lowlife you are today. Clearly whatever benefits derived didn't include you learning very much.

Now that's a bit snaky, scumsuckingcretin!! Not that I wish to be unkind to a low functioning imbecile like your good self. Maybe I could send you a link to my mother's hairdresser; he's a genius and could even make YOU look presentable.

:113:

Greg

Greg

How big a team are we talking about?? That's 200 kids??

Greg

The team, the band, the equipment.... Call it 2 buses if you want. The point is sending kids to play meaningless games all around the State is a waste of money.

You're missing the point on purpose because you can't debate the larger point. Because you've already lost.

You brought up sports networks and replays.

That doesn't apply to high school sports. Because the games are meaningless. The Sugar Bowl is big money for the universities that play in it and it defrays some of the money wasted on fielding a football team. The Class 1 Missouri High School Football Championship? Total waste of money for the districts.

Forum List

Back