Serious?

Anyone interested in a serious discussion about education? Any non-educators have any questions about what really goes on in the classroom instead of stereotypes and assumptions? Any educators want to share stories from the front lines? Anything?

I think the biggest impediment to out educational system is the idea of mainstreaming. It ties teachers hands, diverts recourses [sic] away from the majority to concentrate on the few, disrupts the learning situation and as we have seen -- endangers all concerned.

Only in the most extreme cases. On the whole, all students deserve an education and we know about 'separate but equal.'

Anyone interested in a serious discussion about education? Any non-educators have any questions about what really goes on in the classroom instead of stereotypes and assumptions? Any educators want to share stories from the front lines? Anything?

I think the biggest impediment to out educational system is the idea of mainstreaming. It ties teachers hands, diverts recourses away from the majority to concentrate on the few, disrupts the learning situation and as we have seen -- endangers all concerned.

This is a concern. It's a very delicate balance. I think kids benefit when everyone can learn together as much as is reasonable. When I was in elem. school in the 70s, kids with special needs were in a totally separate part of the building, always "segregated", and frankly we were afraid of them. That was no good. The pendulum swung toward including them as much as possible, which is also...not good, because as you say above. Now everyone tries to ride that balance but many with serious behavior problems are not even dx, or if they are, the resources are just not there to help them.

“No good reason,” and “meaningless” prove your bias and doubtless ignorance about the topic.

File under: “education”

Just asking you to justify it. Which, of course, you cannot. Which is why you fall back to the personal attack.

As always. If you’re asking for a discussion, man up and try discussing it.

Hayti HS in Hayti Missouri had a great season last season; 15-0. Being the district powerhouse, they played mainly home games (6 road games out of 15). Still, they racked up about 1,500 miles of travel on district school buses.

08/24/18 260 miles.
09/07/18 151 miles.
10/05/18 141 miles.
10/19/18 34 miles.
11/17/18 260 miles.
12/01/18 605 miles.

This doesn't count the travel of the band, the housing (if any), meals, etc...

All for nothing.

And keep in mind that this is just one team out of literally dozens playing one sport (11 man football).
That 1,500 miles traveled could be easily duplicated for teams playing:

Sports
Factor in a few dozen teams for every sport, give them 1,000 miles of traveling and you can see the incredible expense at stake.

This doesn't count the utilities to run the stadiums, paying the coaches, officials, groundskeepers, etc...
This doesn't count the time taken away from what school is supposed to be about (education exploits), etc...
This doesn't count the costs of purchasing equipment, uniforms, insurance, etc....

Somehow the word "waste" doesn't begin to address the wrongheaded expenditures that are being made in high school athletics.

You asked for a question...mine would be this: How can this remotely be justified?

Extracurriculars: Often where the real learning takes place.

That is the sad and real truth of American high schools.

So it is required that a HS team travel a thousand miles a season to play a sport?

My daughter is a teacher. My wife is a retired one. They maintain that more and more is piled on the teachers, less and less on the kids. All the new initiatives that come and then go because voices cry out about accountability. But never do we ask the kids to become accountable. Also, the thought of the test scores that many want yet....don't teach directly to the test. Soooo, we want high test scores without teaching only to the test. Crazy.

“No good reason,” and “meaningless” prove your bias and doubtless ignorance about the topic.

File under: “education”

Just asking you to justify it. Which, of course, you cannot. Which is why you fall back to the personal attack.

As always. If you’re asking for a discussion, man up and try discussing it.

Read all the replies before emoting.

Hayti HS in Hayti Missouri had a great season last season; 15-0. Being the district powerhouse, they played mainly home games (6 road games out of 15). Still, they racked up about 1,500 miles of travel on district school buses.

08/24/18 260 miles.
09/07/18 151 miles.
10/05/18 141 miles.
10/19/18 34 miles.
11/17/18 260 miles.
12/01/18 605 miles.

All for nothing.

And keep in mind that this is just one team out of literally dozens playing one sport (11 man football).

Sports
Factor in a few dozen teams for every sport, give them 1,000 miles of traveling and you can see the incredible expense at stake.

This doesn't count the utilities to run the stadiums, paying the coaches, officials, groundskeepers, etc...
This doesn't count the time taken away from what school is supposed to be about (education exploits), etc...
This doesn't count the costs of purchasing equipment, uniforms, insurance, etc....

Somehow the word "waste" doesn't begin to address the wrongheaded expenditures that are being made in high school athletics.

You asked for a question...mine would be this: How can this remotely be justified?

So it is required that a HS team travel a thousand miles a season to play a sport?

Why do you use the word "required" in such an obvious manner? If you have read all the replies you should now know why sports are an important part of education and why they are NOT going away just because you never understood or excelled at them. I can recognize the importance of music as one aspect of education , and respect all of the benefits it imparts even though I have never had much aptitude for it. Are you incapable of similar abstract thinking?

How about this. How about parental accountability? They will let anyone be a parent. There is nothing that disqualifies someone from having kids. And you have to deal with their kids. I’m sure between the kid teacher and parent the person most responsible if a kid fails is the parent?

What percentage of teachers do you reckon favor left wing politics?

I don't think Unk does. He may be a strange bird, though.

He's a staunch individualist as far as I can tell. Which is fine I suppose but moderation in all things is my motto. Radical individualism is little more than self centered apathy, IMO
He has to be a realist. He’s a republican but republicans don’t like teachers. Cognitive dissonance

08/24/18 260 miles.
09/07/18 151 miles.
10/05/18 141 miles.
10/19/18 34 miles.
11/17/18 260 miles.
12/01/18 605 miles.

All for nothing.

Sports

Why do you use the word "required" in such an obvious manner? If you have read all the replies you should now know why sports are an important part of education and why they are NOT going away just because you never understood or excelled at them. I can recognize the importance of music as one aspect of education , and respect all of the benefits it imparts even though I have never had much aptitude for it. Are you incapable of similar abstract thinking?
Yea but shouldn’t parents pay for their kids music lessons? If the federal government is going to be paying for schools shouldn’t those schools be focusing on math, science, computers, etc.

Why invest money for some kid to become a musician? How does that help us out?

But sports are important. Kids are too soft. Gym should continue to be a part of school. In case we ever have a war.

And sports are big business. Why mess with a good thing.

But music? I guess the music industry is big too. But schools need to stop teaching violin and start teaching drums gutar and base. Modernize for god sakes.

08/24/18 260 miles.
09/07/18 151 miles.
10/05/18 141 miles.
10/19/18 34 miles.
11/17/18 260 miles.
12/01/18 605 miles.

All for nothing.

Sports

Why do you use the word "required" in such an obvious manner?
Because the schedule requires you travel to these schools to play away games. Whether or not your budget is capable of it--if the price of diesel is $5 a gallon or $8 a gallon, you still have to make the trip.

If you have read all the replies you should now know why sports are an important part of education and why they are NOT going away just because you never understood or excelled at them.
I just never drank the kool aid and forgot why we have schools in the first place. Feel free to challenge me to a sports trivia contest if you would like to see who knows more about sports.

If sports are that important....just divide the kids up into two teams and let them play each other? Again, why the 1,000 miles of travel per team, per season, all year, every year? Don't you learn just enough by playing your class mates as you learn from playing other schools 3 counties over?

I can recognize the importance of music as one aspect of education , and respect all of the benefits it imparts even though I have never had much aptitude for it. Are you incapable of similar abstract thinking?

Have as large an orchestra, groups, choir, etc... as you want. Make the arts compulsory. Make athletics compulsory. Just don't ship the kids across the state to perform and incur those costs that can easily be avoided.

That is the question you're being asked; how does one justify spending so much in travel costs?

You do realize that many if not most, high schools have booster clubs that raise money for uniforms, travel, etc, right? And these kids get to see other areas in which many might not otherwise.

08/24/18 260 miles.
09/07/18 151 miles.
10/05/18 141 miles.
10/19/18 34 miles.
11/17/18 260 miles.
12/01/18 605 miles.

All for nothing.

Sports

08/24/18 260 miles.
09/07/18 151 miles.
10/05/18 141 miles.
10/19/18 34 miles.
11/17/18 260 miles.
12/01/18 605 miles.

All for nothing.

Sports

Yea but shouldn’t parents pay for their kids music lessons? If the federal government is going to be paying for schools shouldn’t those schools be focusing on math, science, computers, etc.

Why invest money for some kid to become a musician? How does that help us out?

But sports are important. Kids are too soft. Gym should continue to be a part of school. In case we ever have a war.

And sports are big business. Why mess with a good thing.

But music? I guess the music industry is big too. But schools need to stop teaching violin and start teaching drums gutar and base. Modernize for god sakes.

East Side HS having a swim meet against West Side HS is "big business"?

What I never understood is why the swim team can't travel with the Volley Ball team and have the swimmers and the volley ball teams compete at the same time.

Parents do foot a lot of the costs for the lessons and whatnot. Travel is almost always a school function though. And its completely un-necessary if the "real" reason is to enrich the lives of the kids by having them learn to hit a curve ball, play a guitar, run the high-hurdles or wrestle someone. They could do all of that on the same campus where they go to school. So I would hope the OP would stop the ridiculous charade.

Because the schedule requires you travel to these schools to play away games. Whether or not your budget is capable of it--if the price of diesel is $5 a gallon or $8 a gallon, you still have to make the trip. ......

If some place is too far it will not be put on the schedule. Athletic schedules are not handed down from the mountaintop on stone tablets. And I don't know where you live that buses run on diesel....

I just never drank the kool aid and forgot why we have schools in the first place. .....

Yes, for education. As has been explained to you several times now, physical education is and always has been an important part of education.

Because the schedule requires you travel to these schools to play away games. Whether or not your budget is capable of it--if the price of diesel is $5 a gallon or $8 a gallon, you still have to make the trip. ......

If some place is too far it will not be put on the schedule. Athletic schedules are not handed down from the mountaintop on stone tablets. And I don't know where you live that buses run on diesel....

Any place off campus is too far. You can play your classmates and learn the *giggle* valuable lessons that basketball teaches you.

More U.S. School Buses Run on New, Low-emission Diesel Technology

I just never drank the kool aid and forgot why we have schools in the first place. .....

Yes, for education. As has been explained to you several times now, physical education is and always has been an important part of education.

As has been asked of you....why do you have to send teams 1,000 miles a season to do it?

You do know kids from the same schools can play one another, right?

Have as large an orchestra, groups, choir, etc... as you want. Make the arts compulsory. Make athletics compulsory. Just don't ship the kids across the state to perform and incur those costs that can easily be avoided.

No, we'll continue to do just that. Thanks for the input though.

Forum List

Back