Serious golfers: Do you know of a club manufacturer that makes a fairway metal 2 wood?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
I've always thought it would make sense to have a club in between my 3 metal and my driver. They used to make 2 woods back in the persimmon days but I haven't seen a metal one. For me there is a 40 yard gap between my 3 metal distance and my driver distance. That's huge, and also considering it's use as a "fairway finder" off of the tee it seems like a 2 metal would be good club to have. Does anyone use a 2 metal or know where to get one?

I've always thought it would make sense to have a club in between my 3 metal and my driver. They used to make 2 woods back in the persimmon days but I haven't seen a metal one. For me there is a 40 yard gap between my 3 metal distance and my driver distance. That's huge, and also considering it's use as a "fairway finder" off of the tee it seems like a 2 metal would be good club to have. Does anyone use a 2 metal or know where to get one?

Good question. I really haven't seen any but I haven't been looking either. I think I've hit my high water mark in golf two years ago so I'm just enjoying the game and trying to not take it too seriously. I doubt that the new technology would help me much. I guess I feel like Vern, one of my golfing partners, who likes to say, "it isn't the arrow, it's the Indian". But I hope you find that club and I hope it does your game some good. I'll be heading out to Shawnee in 3 hours myself to enjoy a nice round and then some beers at a goober bar that I like. Have a great day.

Good question. I really haven't seen any but I haven't been looking either. I think I've hit my high water mark in golf two years ago so I'm just enjoying the game and trying to not take it too seriously. I doubt that the new technology would help me much. I guess I feel like Vern, one of my golfing partners, who likes to say, "it isn't the arrow, it's the Indian". But I hope you find that club and I hope it does your game some good. I'll be heading out to Shawnee in 3 hours myself to enjoy a nice round and then some beers at a goober bar that I like. Have a great day.
I agree with your friend that most issues with golfers are not the equipment but the golfer. But what I'm talking about is closing an obvious distance gap that would be of benefit on par 5s and long par 4s. A 30 to 40 yard gap is big.

I can get by with just a driver, a 7 wood, a SW, a 9 iron and a putter.

Not that I'm good or anything. But I can get by with just that.

SW is my best club in the bag from around 100 yards out. I get really good loft on it and usually stick it close enough for a two putt and a lot of times a one putt.

I can get by with just a driver, a 7 wood, a SW, a 9 iron and a putter.

Not that I'm good or anything. But I can get by with just that.

SW is my best club in the bag from around 100 yards out. I get really good loft on it and usually stick it close enough for a two putt and a lot of times a one putt.
You make a good point. I will sometimes walk 9 holes with a reduced set of 6 clubs and shoot within a shot or two of what I do with a full bag. But I am currently a single digit handicap and want to see if I can get down to the low 70s. I'm looking for ways to shave a couple strokes.

You make a good point. I will sometimes walk 9 holes with a reduced set of 6 clubs and shoot within a shot or two of what I do with a full bag. But I am currently a single digit handicap and want to see if I can get down to the low 70s. I'm looking for ways to shave a couple strokes.

I don't even keep a score card. I mainly just go for the nature and the solitude. I especially prefer the courses with lots of trees. Preferably in the evening.

But I see your point if you're challenging yourself to improve.

Oh, and that long-legged brunette driving around on the beer cart. That's a bonus attraction.

I agree with your friend that most issues with golfers are not the equipment but the golfer. But what I'm talking about is closing an obvious distance gap that would be of benefit on par 5s and long par 4s. A 30 to 40 yard gap is big.
I fought against succumbing to the Sr. tees but somewhere along the line, I got overridden. So now, the game becomes more about placement vs. distance. Par 5s are more reachable in two. So, my advice to you is, get older. Just kidding. I'm definitely not telling you to stop competing, I'm just saying you should do whatever you think is right for you, with no judgment on others. The most important thing is to have fun, enjoy the game, and be the guy other people like to play with.

I fought against succumbing to the Sr. tees but somewhere along the line, I got overridden. So now, the game becomes more about placement vs. distance. Par 5s are more reachable in two. So, my advice to you is, get older. Just kidding. I'm definitely not telling you to stop competing, I'm just saying you should do whatever you think is right for you, with no judgment on others. The most important thing is to have fun, enjoy the game, and be the guy other people like to play with.
I don't think I said anything about judging other golfers. I was just speaking for myself about a club that I can't find which might be useful. I actually did find a club called a mini driver that could fit the bill. It's a bit big for hitting off the grass but I think I'll give that one a look.

I don't think I said anything about judging other golfers. I was just speaking for myself about a club that I can't find which might be useful. I actually did find a club called a mini driver that could fit the bill. It's a bit big for hitting off the grass but I think I'll give that one a look.
Sorry if I came off accusatory. I didn't mean it. I guess I was just feeling the need to talk some golf. And I'm glad you found the club you were looking for. Hope it works out for you.

So this is unconventional, but consider...you get, say, 40 more yards with your driver OFF THE TEE than you do with your 3-wood off the turf. Rather than look for a 2-wood, which probably doesn't even exist, why not work on hitting your driver off the turf? There is no way you will get the same distance off the turf as you do off a tee.

I couldn't do it, but I've seen it done.

FWIW, I don't carry any woods other than my driver. I have a "driving iron" 3-Iron that is my longest club off the turf. I also have a 2-Iron but I don't carry it in the bag.

So this is unconventional, but consider...you get, say, 40 more yards with your driver OFF THE TEE than you do with your 3-wood off the turf. Rather than look for a 2-wood, which probably doesn't even exist, why not work on hitting your driver off the turf? There is no way you will get the same distance off the turf as you do off a tee.

I couldn't do it, but I've seen it done.

FWIW, I don't carry any woods other than my driver. I have a "driving iron" 3-Iron that is my longest club off the turf. I also have a 2-Iron but I don't carry it in the bag.
Because of the bulk and deep face of modern drivers, off the fairway is difficult to be consistent. I can do it if I have a "fluffy" lie with the ball sitting up a bit but that doesn't happen often. As I posted I did find something called a Burner mini-driver that is sort of a 2 wood. Thanks for the comment.

Because of the bulk and deep face of modern drivers, off the fairway is difficult to be consistent. I can do it if I have a "fluffy" lie with the ball sitting up a bit but that doesn't happen often. As I posted I did find something called a Burner mini-driver that is sort of a 2 wood. Thanks for the comment.
I always have a fluffy lie. I cheat.

All major manufacturers make metal woods with a 2 wood loft.

Gotta go, lay some in game bets on NBA. INDY been good for me until last game. Now Halliburton out? Can they still score 25+ per quarter? Can they stay close enough to remain hungry?

Last edited:
who said it has to be modern? Or you could finally become a man and hit a 2 ironl blade off the deck.

Forum List

Back