Senators call for end to anonymous, prepaid cell phones

Terrorism. If Bush had proposed this many here would be defending it. Right wing philosophy demands we give up rights for security on the say so of right wing Politicians.

Schumer is from NY, and I see him playing the tough on terrorism thing, and he gets half a pass, but WTF is up with that douchebagh from Texas?

I think politicians of both parties will be afraid to stand up and protest this for fear that their opponents, again of both parties, will call them soft on terror/crime.

As for that douchebag from Texas, he has never had an original idea in his life. This is just him trying to give more power to the government to look over your shoulder and into your private life.

I bet there are more than a few politicians who will stand up against this.

we'll see.

I do know the politicians I've know who are still in Congress will stand up.

Speaking of hacks - Modmoron sees one each time he looks in the mirror (and likely scares himself).

We have an Democrat-Administration in the White House that wants to give the FCC control over the internet, has Google as a close crony, and now wants to destroy the privacy of cell phone calls.

Where is the Lefty outrage?

Source on your claims about giving the FCC control of the internet?
Technically, nobody's giving it to them, they're seizing control, all "for your own good", no doubt.

FCC announces plan to seize control of Internet Rational Review

FCC Reclaims Powers Over Internet Access Companies (Update3) - BusinessWeek

FCC Commissioner Michael Copps Explains Public Interest In Regulating Internet (VIDEO)

Post Tech - FCC chair describes overhaul as middle ground

U.S. 'Open Internet' Plan Thrown Into Chaos After 'Net Neutrality' Ruling - DailyFinance

Those enough sources for ya?

Speaking of hacks - Modmoron sees one each time he looks in the mirror (and likely scares himself).

We have an Democrat-Administration in the White House that wants to give the FCC control over the internet, has Google as a close crony, and now wants to destroy the privacy of cell phone calls.

Technically, nobody's giving it to them, they're seizing control, all "for your own good", no doubt.

FCC Commissioner Michael Copps Explains Public Interest In Regulating Internet (VIDEO)

U.S. 'Open Internet' Plan Thrown Into Chaos After 'Net Neutrality' Ruling - DailyFinance

Oh, now I understand.

You're one of those conspiracy fruitcakes who thinks "Net Neutrality" laws are part of a government conspiracy to "regulate" the internet.

All of those links you posted are about the FCC trying to make it illegal for ISPs to favor their content over others. Not "take over the internet".

I bet there are more than a few politicians who will stand up against this.

we'll see.

I do know the politicians I've know who are still in Congress will stand up.

Maybe, we can hope. I think the most likely result is that it will simply die in committee, and no one will ever have to stand up against it.

Oh, now I understand.

You're one of those conspiracy fruitcakes who thinks "Net Neutrality" laws are part of a government conspiracy to "regulate" the internet.

All of those links you posted are about the FCC trying to make it illegal for ISPs to favor their content over others. Not "take over the internet".

Very much what has been done to the word Liberal is now being attempted on Net Neutrality.

Oh, now I understand.

Regulate schmegulate...They want to plain old control it.

"Net neutrality" is a two-bit ruse.

Oh, now I understand.

:eusa_whistle:

now you get it.

Oh, now I understand.

Very much what has been done to the word Liberal is now being attempted on Net Neutrality.

:clap2:

Where is Boe with the response to show me where in the article that this has the WH backing? Oh Boe! Where art thou? :eusa_whistle:

I said Democrat-Administration, not White House. There is clearly a partnership between the Democrats in Congress and the White House on many issues. It's highly unlikely that Schumer went rogue with this proposal.

Oh, now I understand.

Doesn't need to be attempted..."Net neutrality" always was Orwellian doublespeak, right out of the gate.

Thanks for doing the heavy lifting. Besides the FCC, the Dems are also pushing for the FTC to have more control over the internet as well, with a little goody they've tucked into the Financial Reform Bill:

But the legislation would remove checks on the FTC in other areas, NetChoice said.

If the FTC requires opt-in permission for data collection, targeted advertising would largely grind to a halt, and much of the free content and services online would need to collect money from users, said Steve DelBianco, executive director of NetChoice. Typically, only about 5 percent of Web users ever opt in to a new service, and an opt-in regime for data collection used to deliver targeted ads would "devastate" the online ad business, he said.

Web sites shouldn't need to get opt-in permission to serve ads based on users' surfing habits, DelBianco said. "That results in you getting ads that are more relevant to you," he said. "If you're going to see ads, they ought to be more relevant and interesting."

Web sites should have to get permission before collecting sensitive information like health information, he said. But most data collected to deliver ads isn't sensitive, he said. "When it dries up that ad revenue, where else will these sites get the revenue to provide free information and free services to people online?" he said. "They're going to have to either start charging for it, or stop providing it."

NetChoice: Financial Reform Bill Among the Year's Worst - PCWorld Business Center

I said Democrat-Administration, not White House. There is clearly a partnership between the Democrats in Congress and the White House on many issues. It's highly unlikely that Schumer went rogue with this proposal.

Such dishonesty.

Spin time!

Terrorism. If Bush had proposed this many here would be defending it. Right wing philosophy demands we give up rights for security on the say so of right wing Politicians.

Schumer is from NY, and I see him playing the tough on terrorism thing, and he gets half a pass, but WTF is up with that douchebagh from Texas?

I love how you pretend to know what we would defend or attack.

This is a stupid law. Who the hell cares who is proposing it?

Senators Charles Schumer (D-NY) and John Cornyn (R-TX) joined forces and announced a new bill that would require an ID at the point of sale. Phone companies would need to keep this information on file in order to help police thwart "terrorists, drug lords and gang members," along with the occasional hedge fund manager.

They really do use any excuse to chip away at our civil rights, don't they.
You must have been apoplectic when Bush Jr. tapped phones illegally.

Senators Charles Schumer (D-NY) and John Cornyn (R-TX) joined forces and announced a new bill that would require an ID at the point of sale. Phone companies would need to keep this information on file in order to help police thwart "terrorists, drug lords and gang members," along with the occasional hedge fund manager.

They really do use any excuse to chip away at our civil rights, don't they.
Within 20 years or so, I expect the government will be implanting id microchips in ever child born in this country. Then they can use scanners to keep track of everyone. It will be a wonderful tool for law enforcement. No one will be concerned about right to privacy because there won't be any.

A bipartisan pair of Senate leaders have introduced a first-of-its-kind bill aimed at stopping terrorist suspects such as the would-be Times Square bomber from hiding their identities by using prepaid cellphones to plot their attacks.

The legislation sponsored by Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tex.) would require buyers to present identification when purchasing a prepaid cellphone and require phone companies to keep the information on file, as they do with users of landline phones and subscription-based cellphones. The proposal would require the carriers to retain the data for 18 months after the phone's deactivation.

"This proposal is overdue because for years, terrorists, drug kingpins and gang members have stayed one step ahead of the law by using prepaid phones that are hard to trace," Schumer said.

washingtonpost.com

Good idea?

A bipartisan pair of Senate leaders have introduced a first-of-its-kind bill aimed at stopping terrorist suspects such as the would-be Times Square bomber from hiding their identities by using prepaid cellphones to plot their attacks.

The legislation sponsored by Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tex.) would require buyers to present identification when purchasing a prepaid cellphone and require phone companies to keep the information on file, as they do with users of landline phones and subscription-based cellphones. The proposal would require the carriers to retain the data for 18 months after the phone's deactivation.

"This proposal is overdue because for years, terrorists, drug kingpins and gang members have stayed one step ahead of the law by using prepaid phones that are hard to trace," Schumer said.

washingtonpost.com

Good idea?

hell no,, provide ID to buy a cell phone?? but we cannot ask our police to ask for ID from brown people?? you gotta be kidding me.

washingtonpost.com

Good idea?

Good Idea only if the Senators have to abide by it too!

Will it pass? If the Senators think about it, probably not, how could the make those clandestine rendezvous anonymously? I meam all the backroom deals and calls to the Professional Girls and Guys could be tracked :lol:

Forum List

Back