Senator Frankstein: You're not a journalist unless you draw a salary!

BriPat -

Agreeing with a senator on one thing, does not mean that I agree with your bizarre interpretation of what you think the senator secretly meant.

And yes, I had not forgotten that you do not understand what dictionaries are.

BriPat -

Agreeing with a senator on one thing, does not mean that I agree with your bizarre interpretation of what you think the senator secretly meant.

The senator you said you agree with wants to afford legal protections only to journalists she defines as "legitimate." If you don't agree with that, then you shouldn't state you agree with her.

And yes, I had not forgotten that you do not understand what dictionaries are.

Dictionaries are books written by humans. As such, they are not infallible, as you seem to believe.

Btw whenever someone asks who are the moderates in the Dem party. Look at Feinstein. No one likes her for shit like this:

Dianne Feinstein Says NSA Phone Records Surveillance Has Thwarted Terrorism, 'But That's Classified'

Dianne Feinstein Says NSA Phone Records Surveillance Has Thwarted Terrorism, 'But That's Classified'

She's a Moderate Nazi.

Got it

A moderate nazi? Is that what you call people who helped Bush with the NSA votes / support when other liberals asked her not to?

Moderate Nazi. I like that....Now I'll watch you twist in the wind trying to explain how shes different than all the repubs that voted with her. Or you'll opt for insulting avoiding the stupid remark you made all together

When you agree that government should determine which journalists are "legitimate," then you have agree to the first step on the road to control.

Which quite obviously I don't agree with, you illiterate cretin.

btw: Goebbels was a Nazi. Nazis are RIGHT WING:

Major elements of Nazism have been described as far-right, such as allowing domination of society by people deemed racially superior, while purging society of people declared inferior, who were said to be a threat to national survival.

Nazism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ok Hitler was Far-right

Stalin and Castro were far-left.

Does it make a difference? In the end it is totalitarian control painted a different color.

I'm a journalist and I agree with the Senator.

I meet people everyday who tell me "Hey - I'm a writer, too!" and then they tell me the amazing idea they have for a movie script.

Being a journalist means you get paid to produce journalism. Period.

That means you consider Alex Jones a journalist, since many people, myself included, subscribe to Prison Planet tv?

Or are you going to say that he's doesn't qualify either? Only salaried agents of mega news corporations, right?

EDIT (20 minutes later):

Come on, don't shy away now. I need to hear your justifications for how a person with several million private subscribers is not a journalist, and should not be protected by the "Shield Law."

Btw, why do we even need a "Media Shield Law" when it is already ENSHRINED in the First Amendment?

Last edited:
2nd Amendement -

Anyone who gets paid money for journalism is a journalist in my book.

Why would I make an exception for someone I don't like?

When you agree that government should determine which journalists are "legitimate," then you have agree to the first step on the road to control.

Major elements of Nazism have been described as far-right, such as allowing domination of society by people deemed racially superior, while purging society of people declared inferior, who were said to be a threat to national survival.

Ok Hitler was Far-right

Stalin and Castro were far-left.

Does it make a difference? In the end it is totalitarian control painted a different color.

Yes, I agree with you.

That's right, if you're a journalist who makes a living from donations and sponsership, because the FREE MARKET enjoys the quality of your reporting, YOU ARE NOT A "TRUE" JOURNALIST.

Apparently, only people who are under the pressure of corporate overlords giving them a salary are considered "real" journalists.

Fits in nicely with Peter Thing's (King's) wish to imprison journalists that report any classified information.

And so it begins. The Government has declared itself the decider of who does, and who does not, qualify as a "journalist."

A "Media Shield Law" is not even necessary, since it's already enshrined in the First Amendment. This is obviously all a pretense to create a privilege class of journalists, and to deny or disparage that right to all others.

It is hard to imagine how any journalist that makes their living from the Free Market (subscription/sponsorship/donation), would be any less qualified than a reporter that is a slave to their respective corporate paymaster. In fact, it's the other way around, the salaried "agents" of the corporations are the inferior and least trustworthy of the reporters.
ViralRead » Senator Feinstein: ?Real Reporters? Are Salaried Under Shield Law

During the hearing, Feinstein proposed an amendment to the bill that would make the law only apply to journalists she described as “real reporters.” Those include reporters who are “a salaried agent” of a media company such as a newspaper, broadcast news station, news website or another type of news service. As ABC reports, Feinstein was concerned “that the current version of the bill would grant a special privilege to people who aren’t really reporters at all, who have no professional qualifications.”
Who is government to determine who does, who does not, have the right qualifications to be a reporter. Isn't the FREE MARKET the best judge of that standard?

What would Peter Thing's and Dianne Frankstein's baby be like?

A real reporter, declared Madame Feinstein during a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing, is “a salaried agent” of a media company like the New York Times or ABC News, not a shoestring operation with volunteers and writers who are not paid.

Feinstein voiced her concern “that the current version of the bill would grant a special privilege to people who aren’t really reporters at all, who have no professional qualifications,” like bloggers and citizen journalists.
Can this Libtard explain her reasoning? Why would a journalist who makes money from donations and sponsorship be any less a journalist who is a slave to the corporate payroll? If anything, it is the OTHER WAY AROUND!

Related article:
Senators ponder if bloggers deserve First Amendment protection

Hunter S. Thompson was not a journalist? Perhaps Feinstein isn't as smart as she thinks she is.

I meet people everyday who tell me "Hey - I'm a writer, too!" and then they tell me the amazing idea they have for a movie script.

Being a journalist means you get paid to produce journalism. Period.

You are a liar. If you were actually a journalist you would have heard of Hunter S. Thompson, and know that he was a journalist even though he was never paid a salary.

Come to think of it, Edward R Morrow, and Helen Thomas didn't draw a salary either. I guess that means you think they were not journalists.

Want to crawl back under a rock now, or are you going to pretend you read a book about this that makes you smarter than anyone else?

You're also a servile government-worshiping toady, so it's no surprise that you agree that government should have control over journalism. Joseph Goebbels would be proud.

Jesus wept....where did I say government should control journalism?

Honestly, you post like someone who is about five years old.

And no, I am not right wing.

Feinstein said she wants to control journalists, and you said you agree with her.

Is English not a language you speak?

One is a journalist to the extent that one actually has an audience.

I disagree that the litmus test is getting paid for it.

Well, yeah, that makes sense too, but I question anyone who has a profession but no income from it.

Who said they were not making money? Do you understand the difference between getting paid for freelance work and getting paid a salary?

Nothing like the Rightyloon twist. What she was addressing was how we live in a time where anyone with an internets connection in grandmas basement are calling themselves journaiists because they start a blog. They are not professionals.

Tell me something, if the right had decided to toss Helen Thomas out of the briefing room because she wasn't getting a salary from a a news organization how would you have reacted?

Or did you not know that stinger is another word for freelancer?

You don't agree with yourself when you said you agree with Feinstein? Are you really that stupid?

2nd Amendement -

Anyone who gets paid money for journalism is a journalist in my book.

Why would I make an exception for someone I don't like?

If that were true you wouldn't have said that Feinstein was right when she said that only salaried agents of media companies are real journalists, would you?

I don't think they should get into defining reporters. But I do think sharing your source should have the same sort of laws a lawyer etc. have.

Nothing like the Rightyloon twist. What she was addressing was how we live in a time where anyone with an internets connection in grandmas basement are calling themselves journaiists because they start a blog. They are not professionals.

Tell me something, if the right had decided to toss Helen Thomas out of the briefing room because she wasn't getting a salary from a a news organization how would you have reacted?

What does that dead senile old lady got to do with anything? No need to answer. It's a rhetorical question. :eusa_drool:

The word is 'stringer', not 'stinger', and the word does mean exactly the same thing as freelancer.

Stringers typically work as extra local staff for major networks or agencies like AFP or Reuters, particularly in places like Iraq where agencies limit the number of their own staff on the ground for insurance reasons.

So basically all stringers are freelancers, but not all freelancers are stringers.

Last edited:
Those who draw a salary have to answer to their paymaster, so they are not free journalists as the paymaster can tell that what to publish; and what news to bury.

Those who draw a salary have to answer to their paymaster, so they are not free journalists as the paymaster can tell that what to publish; and what news to bury.

Yeah....in reality it doesn't work that way.

I know a lot of members of the public like to believe that, but I can tell you from personal experience there is very little telling people what to publish.

Personally, I have NEVER been told what to write.

Forum List

Back