Sell-Your-Vehicle Scam

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Anyone who has posted a vehicle for sale on Craigslist, AutoTrader, or any of the dozens of other websites devoted to such things (don't know about Ebay), knows that shortly after your ad hits, you wlll receive emails from companies promising to sell your vehicle for you, for a fee.

I have a motorcycle for sale, and have gotten several phone calls and texts from one of these companies. I'm retired, so I thought I would call back and see what The Deal is.

Well...

You give them $289.00...and you continue YOUR OWN efforts to sell the vehicle, and if you sell the vehicle within 45 days on your own, you will get your $289 back. (Or so they say). In the MEANTIME, they have thousands of potential buyers looking for a vehicle JUST LIKE YOURS, and they are SURE they will be able to sell if for you.

So I asked the fukker, "What if the 45 days goes by and the car is not sold?"

"We will continue trying to sell it, at no additional cost."

"So it seems to me," I say, "if you do NOTHING AT ALL to sell my car, you will still get to keep my $300, and the only risk to you is IF I SELL IT MYSELF, then you have to give me my money back. Is that about it?"

Maybe I'm too cynical in my old age, but I doubt they do anything to sell the car. They get NO MORE MONEY if they sell it, than if they DO NOTHING!

They are "selling" the horse manure story that they have buyers just dying to get a vehicle like yours, and that is why you would send them your money.

Some people must send them money, but this is one of the most transparent scams I've encountered in a long time.

Anyone who has posted a vehicle for sale on Craigslist, AutoTrader, or any of the dozens of other websites devoted to such things (don't know about Ebay), knows that shortly after your ad hits, you wlll receive emails from companies promising to sell your vehicle for you, for a fee.

I have a motorcycle for sale, and have gotten several phone calls and texts from one of these companies. I'm retired, so I thought I would call back and see what The Deal is.

Well...

You give them $289.00...and you continue YOUR OWN efforts to sell the vehicle, and if you sell the vehicle within 45 days on your own, you will get your $289 back. (Or so they say). In the MEANTIME, they have thousands of potential buyers looking for a vehicle JUST LIKE YOURS, and they are SURE they will be able to sell if for you.

So I asked the fukker, "What if the 45 days goes by and the car is not sold?"

"We will continue trying to sell it, at no additional cost."

"So it seems to me," I say, "if you do NOTHING AT ALL to sell my car, you will still get to keep my $300, and the only risk to you is IF I SELL IT MYSELF, then you have to give me my money back. Is that about it?"

Maybe I'm too cynical in my old age, but I doubt they do anything to sell the car. They get NO MORE MONEY if they sell it, than if they DO NOTHING!

They are "selling" the horse manure story that they have buyers just dying to get a vehicle like yours, and that is why you would send them your money.

Some people must send them money, but this is one of the most transparent scams I've encountered in a long time.
/---- Sadly they are bottom feeding for "not so bright" people.

Forum List

Back