See we told you.. Mcdonalds is ordering 7K touch screen to replace cashiers

auto drive cars are in test expected to be launch in 2015 then no more chauffeurs needed

Amazon prime air in test to deliver packages to consumers without the need of truck drivers postman

McDonald's experimenting touch screens to replace cashiers

8 robotic companies gathering with Google to build don't know what

computer a friend or enemy?

Neither, computers are nothing more than tools.

Ame®icano;8299412 said:
You're forgetting that government use IBM simply because they're the best in what they do. How many things done by IBM have failed? But, no, they hire some wannabees to design and service ACA website...

By the way, IBM has some 650 customers worldwide...

IBM's customer base is large due to legacy and the need for speed.
Nothing can match the speed of a mainframe.
For instance, Citibank needs to process and print 20+ million Customer Statements every month.

The ACA was "developed" by the Private Sector with US Tax money.
The lion's share went to the MBAs who then hired the "Best and Brightest" to actually make it work; this "failure" occurs in private firms all the time because the cost of the "Best and Brightest" is irresistibly low despite their incredibly high failure rate.

IBM developers USED to be pretty good.
Now they just are plain incompetent.

What a cheezy spin.. ACA was developed "in the private sector" (actually Canada and UK) because the govt has no competence to do such a thing. The FBI was using teletypes and roladexes late into the last decade.

CLEARLY there was hold-ups in obtaining specifications and answers to questions because no govt bureaucrat wants to stick their out or really understands all the operating criterion for project that complex.

NO firm in the private sector could botch a program this badly and get another contract. The UK or Canadian firm had a TRACK RECORD of failures and was still hired.

'Fraid we;re not stupid or desparate to believe all those ludicrous excuses. .
The reason government has always been behind, is because positions in government are career oriented, so it takes a decade or so for the changing of the guard to finally take place, and then they bring their technology with them when this happens. You know that old saying don't you, that "it's hard to get an old dog to learn new tricks" ? Well in the older existence of the long term government employee's, we get old time thinking until finally the new generations take the helm of the ship. The incompetence in government not to keep up quicker, leaves it vulnerable to corrupting forces that have been way ahead of the curve in tech and complicated systems of thinking, and therefore it can easily use corruption to exploit the governments weakness in this way.

However, government should be kept simple and easy for all to understand (protected in this way by private forces of good, and by we the people), otherwise if complicated technology or thinking comes in to our offices (except for military), then that technology needs to be simplified for all tax paying citizens to easily understand. That is what corporations always have done in order to reach as many consumers with their products that they can, so what's going on with those who are supposed to be representing as many tax payers as they can ? Confusion is usually used in corruption, so be aware Americans and be vigilant always about your government.

Last edited:
What would those cashiers do if the experiment is a success?

Youve seen grocery stores adding delis, floral, bakeries, drug stores, coffee shops, and many other convieniences for their customers.. A lot of that is pssible bcause of freeing up labor from the checkout lanes. At Home Depot, they are doing MOREcustomer seminars and noticeably more services like home installs, truck and equipment rentals, etc.

Youve seen grocery stores adding delis, floral, bakeries, drug stores, coffee shops, and many other convieniences for their customers.. A lot of that is pssible bcause of freeing up labor from the checkout lanes. At Home Depot, they are doing MOREcustomer seminars and noticeably more services like home installs, truck and equipment rentals, etc.
Is this topic still about McD's, and them not wanting to pay their employee's on a structuralized pay scale system, in which should be found in each position that is called for in that operation ?

Example: Fry cook 1st class, Fry Cook second class, Fry Cook third class or senior trainer at this point.

Does McD's expect people to advance in individual positions with no extra pay ?

If a person stays at a position for two years or more, I'd say he or she has advanced the company by securing the position (making it stable), therefore advancing themselves in the position in this way, and McD's understanding of this should be that there should be rewards to people who advance the companies interest in this way. Always a win for everyone involved. If they can't see this, then they are corrupt in their thinking in my thoughts, and they should be thought about by their customers in this way just as well.

How has labor been freed up from the checkout lanes and moved to delis, bakeries, etc.?

Are you saying it was the advent of self checkout?

auto drive cars are in test expected to be launch in 2015 then no more chauffeurs needed

Amazon prime air in test to deliver packages to consumers without the need of truck drivers postman

McDonald's experimenting touch screens to replace cashiers

8 robotic companies gathering with Google to build don't know what

computer a friend or enemy?

Neither, computers are nothing more than tools.
And they don't negate the facts (IMHO) upon how people are to be treated when they are still in the mix now do they ? The ideas that people have, where as they think that computers will someday replace people, as if that is the win all to the problems of today, is totally greedy and corrupt in their convoluted thinking.

Last edited:

How has labor been freed up from the checkout lanes and moved to delis, bakeries, etc.?

Good question !

I don't see why people have gotten up on arms over this. Everyone knows Micky Dee's employees are underpaid and get no insurance. Now they will be free to work somewhere that pays them like CEOs and gives them free insurance.

The wage is reflected by VALUE.
Value is reflected by availability of skill.
The ability to fry potatoes or work a cash register is very high amongst any given population.

Absolutely.. Efficiency of labor at the checkouts is ONE factor that allows stores to add features to it's services.. Might not be the SAME people.. But it's NEW jobs that didn't exist before.

Where does one get various links established between any new talent that may be hidden out there (not known about), and this in order for the private sector to become aware of various talents that may exist out there in these ways without government help?

I mean is this what you just asked me ? It's like this you see, if a man was to walk up to get a loan from a private run bank, but yet he hasn't had his credit established yet, then who is going to finally allow him that loan in the private sector without this established credit needed ? Who is going to put private capital at risk in these ways ? Not many will, I mean not without some kind of government guarantee given to them or a co-signee to sign for them also right ? Yes guarantee's by the government have been given I think, before the catering to the unknown in these ways is established by the private sector as found in created links for them as needed for such assistance is given.

If people are to be given a chance outside of having someone on the inside in which they might know or vice-versa that a person on the inside might know them, and this without government involvement, then it is very slim that they may be given that chance wouldn't you say ? It has always been considered a huge risk to private capital and it's investment of to go it alone these days, but have they been tricked into this by government over time ? So it is that they lean on government for their guarantee's. There are many more reasons for links to exist in order to assure access always, and if the doors are closed one by one as some are thinking about these days, then isolation starts to build, and people begin to get cut off. Now that can become a bad thing if done in the wrong ways.

Now I wonder what ever happened to on the job training in America without government always being involved ? You know where companies use to look for talent without the governments help or involvement ? You see they (the private sector) trained up some very talented people to do some very incredible things back in the day.

Well I know what happened I think, where as they (the private sector) threw it all on the government (sold their souls) for the guarantee that the government offered them in it all.

The private sector loved this, because it took all or a lot of the responsibility off of them completely, and this when doing business with the employee company relation in this way. The government has since took over the entrance doorways completely for the most part, therefore (swelling the government to become more powerful and huge in this way), and the corps and companies were glad to give it to them also, but it all has come at a huge price to the tax payers, and to these companies now. Why? It's because government now controls access for the most part when it comes to educating the people for these companies, instead of the companies requiring a minimum standard in education by themselves, and to expect only a level that is necessary to further train from, so the company would carry most of the weight in order to assure itself of the talent that is needed to suit the companies expectations without government dictates.

You see the government can use this power as leverage against these companies now, just as they have in the past, and all in order to get them to do just about anything they want or be taken completely over by government if they don't. The PRIVATE SECTOR HAS BECOME FOOLS, AND HAS SOLD ITSELF UP THE RIVER, SO WELCOME TO THE OUTCOME OF THE NEW DEAL AMERICA. The crucial link between private citizen and private company has been severed, so if that potential great bio-chemist existed out there, well the only way the company would know about it would be through the government only, and that is a problem if you ask me. I mean WOW!

Now why did the government on their part do this in America ? Why did the corps and companies give it all over to the government in this way ? Now the government has botched it's job or its uses of this power I think, because it has favored a few groups access over others to be found within certain levels now, and all due to political agenda's. Ok, so where does all this lead to in the end or in the future ? Think about it.

Here is one example of a link needing to be re-established. - Have you ever seen a young person trying to establish credit on their own, especially if they don't have a wealthy enough family member to co-sign for the loan ? It's downright tuff is what it is. Links have to be established to make it all work out right? Now if you will look back through history, you will see that there are some real rags to riches stories in this nation, and it is all due to the links being available for people to exploit such links without going through the wrong people to get anywhere in their lives. Is the government the wrong link, and should companies be working to break that link I wonder ? Should companies re-establish programs to train people up to work again, and this without total government assistance being involved ? How about companies being responsible for 80% of it, and government responsible for 20% ? Would that begin to roll back government and their role in this ? Would it begin to get the proper people in the right positions again in life, and this instead of the use of quota's and things like that in which the government has used to the detriment of our hidden talent still hidden within this nation ?

Who should be the encouraging officials, I mean should it be the private sector or the government yielding the most power in these things ?

Again who should yield the most power in this encouragement ?

Again after reading all that I said, who should take the lead on this encouragement, training and giving the best access today ?

Thanks for civil and considered response.. It's rare on public forums.

Your comments center around the NECCESSITY of providing capital to lift folks up once they've been screwed by their class disadvantage. And your 1st resort always seems to be that only government is interested or equipped to solve the problem.. Cutting checks and making loans is NOT the first step to recognizing and developing human potential. The 1st step is to encourage a culture where staying in school and ACHEIVEMENT is valued, EXPECTED and rewarded for a lifetime.

Too often leftists immediately design a solution from 3000 miles away without KNOWING what the problems are. I pointed out to another poster -- that implementing a "living wage" is a SURE-FIRED WAY TO RAISE the H.S. drop-out rate. (for example). Which is the opposite of what we NEED to do to make the American economy RELEVENT AGAIN in the world economy. There will always be the folks who CARE about their education and skills and the folks that "just want a job". PREVIOUSLY --- "just having a job" was an OK alternative.. But not for much longer.

So the FIRST STEP is something like "self-declaration" -- where you FIND the folks who WANT to get a GED or a Comm College AA or learn a trade. I've got to tell ya Beagle -- the programs for THAT are already pretty much in place. And I'd be willing to support those folks with BOTH govt and industry help. Which BTW --- is also ALREADY in place for those goals. Instead of advertising for ObamaPhones and FoodStamps and making them cool.. We should be stressing HOW EASY and economically you can GET a GED or an AA Degree or a Trade diploma..

You will get more "self-declarers" --- if you RAISE the expectations early in school life -- not continue to lower them. AND -- you get to parents early and SHOW them that their kids CAN and SHOULD declare to learn skills better than Minimum Wage careers, because they can go to Comm College (even if 4yr is beyond imagination) for virtually pennies on the dollar.

There's triage for the rest.. The "undeclared"... Perhaps welfare payments should be tied to keeping your kids in school. Which would aimed at parents that just dont seem to sign report cards or show up at Parents night. The parents that "dont give a fuck" or cant sort out their own problems or addictions need THERAPY. But all this NOT DONE with global check writing, loan guaranteeing frenzies to the "victims" of class.. That's just wasteful and unproductive without INDIVIDUAL triage of their "issues".

There's a line of inner city parents WAITING to get their kids into better schools. You triage them FIRST --- by giving them CHOICE --- yes even the "V-word" in order to overcome their class disadvantage. In addition to " October Sky" and checking out my thread in Current Events about "Optimism About Human Potential" ----- Have you ever watched "Waiting for Superman"??? If not --- please do --- and respond on this thread if it ENCOURAGED you to think about school choice and failing schools differently...

PS.. In most states --- Comm College training was dirt cheap.. You could literally complete a 2 yr AA degree in 4 yrs WHILE working for a couple hundred per semester. LESS with existing programs and subsidies and grants. SOME of that has changed BECAUSE it was UNIVERSAL.. And folks who COULD afford to pay the real costs were also getting artificially low costs.

Really ? You got out of what I wrote in my post, a message that prompted the response that you gave in bold above ???? I think we are on the same page in that government needs not to have the continued role that it plays in percentages found in all of this, and that the private sector should go back to carrying the biggest burden of finding talent, hiring that talent, and then training that talent in America. They should do this very importantly, in in order to gain back their freedom from government dictates, but you disagree with me in all of this ? WOW! How is it that you miss my points, and then you won't allow me to also be compassionate over the plight of the poor working class who are caught in the middle of all this in this nation ? Think about what all has taken place here, because it is complicated what has taken place, now keep up. Big Grin! :eusa_angel:

I guess it was kinda sloppy on my part.. It was not just your references to the GOVERNMENT roles, but also the INDUSTRY roles in raising the human potentiall of those humbled by economic class issues early in life.. I suppose the SHORT ANSWER is that NOTHING really changes until you sort thru and slice and dice the INDIVIDUAL reasons for being stuck in dead end jobs or being chronically unemployed with shallow skills.

They are many and varied. And without large hours of PERSONAL contact and consuling, just dumping AID is like saturation bombing.. I DID make specific suggestions that would HALVE the problem if you just aided the ones who WANT to improve their skill sets.

I am having LARGE problems with dicking around with "living wages" and "Structuring" fry cooks.. Because these are either COUNTER productive or not very meaningful for dodging the Automation bullet or being a participant in a Global economy..

The CULTURE has to recognize that the nature of "a job" has changed and that we are stumbling into a 3rd Industrial Revolution. And that the carnage is gonna be massive if folks DON'T get the message that they are really now "self-employed" -- even if they get a paycheck from someone else...

Absolutely.. Efficiency of labor at the checkouts is ONE factor that allows stores to add features to it's services.. Might not be the SAME people.. But it's NEW jobs that didn't exist before.

I find that difficult to believe. Stores have had various subsections such as delis, bakeries, etc. for many years. And I have never seen much use made of self-checkouts. I would need to see some evidence there's a correlation between these things.

I think that the effect of self-checkouts has been exaggerated in this thread. :)

I find that difficult to believe. Stores have had various subsections such as delis, bakeries, etc. for many years. And I have never seen much use made of self-checkouts. I would need to see some evidence there's a correlation between these things.

I think that the effect of self-checkouts has been exaggerated in this thread. :)

There are stats that im aware of. One of my clients is bigtime point of sale equipment. But its not just the automation of self check out. The new automated inventory and pricing systems have cut labor costs as well. As have debit cards and EFT.

There are way MORE employees in your avg supermarket and box stores than 20 years ago.
And they are providing far more services and convienience

Many places are going to self check INs. Using a touch screen to order at a fast food place would be a very welcome change. At least your order stands a better chance of being right.

Many places are going to self check INs. Using a touch screen to order at a fast food place would be a very welcome change. At least your order stands a better chance of being right.

I was talking specifically about grocery store types of places, as that is where the post by flacaltenn seemed to be discussing. :)

There are stats that im aware of. One of my clients is bigtime point of sale equipment. But its not just the automation of self check out. The new automated inventory and pricing systems have cut labor costs as well. As have debit cards and EFT.

There are way MORE employees in your avg supermarket and box stores than 20 years ago.
And they are providing far more services and convienience

I completely agree that there have been many changes that have cut labor costs. I just think that self-checkouts in a grocery store are a very minor part of that.

I don't see why people have gotten up on arms over this. Everyone knows Micky Dee's employees are underpaid and get no insurance. Now they will be free to work somewhere that pays them like CEOs and gives them free insurance.
I don 't think anyone is expecting that in life, but only that they are treated fairly in a situation. People can make this into anything they want, but I think that people only want to be treated decent and fair in life, and this no matter what their duty stations are in life. It doesn't help people on here (IMHO), to reveal themselves as cold hearted greed loving selfish individuals, but it seems that people go there for some reason anyway. Why is this I wonder ? I mean what's in It for people to rise up against people just wanting to be treated fairly in a situation ? Even if McD's were to give to their employee's a $15.00 dollar an hour rate hike right now, and do it across the board for any position in labor that they offer in a flat rate for the position held, and lets say if they were to do this for a five year run no matter how long the person is in that position to be held within that five year time period, then McD's would be coming out ahead in the long run, but they are to dumb and greedy to even understand this. What a shame. Now with all that said however, I am still for a structuralized pay scale set up for each position held in a company, and also the advancement within the position as based on length of time the position is being held by an individual, and how well that individual is doing in that position as it is being held by the individual.

If a machine isn't preparing the order for you also, and automatically getting that order back to you in an automated way (i.e. no human hands touch it or are involved in the chain at all), then how do you feel that just because a person didn't take your order up front, that it will still be right ? Come on man, your kidding me right ?

Have had 'automat' food dispensaries for like 50 or more years. Having people doing so many things was PR, not necessity. Any return to automation is only a good thing. Can spin it however you like, but the fact remains most fast food positions are superfluous.

Have had 'automat' food dispensaries for like 50 or more years. Having people doing so many things was PR, not necessity. Any return to automation is only a good thing. Can spin it however you like, but the fact remains most fast food positions are superfluous.
You need to keep up, because I was responding to his assertion that just because of automation, that in his mind he thinks that if a human is eliminated in the chain, that somehow the order would stand a better chance of being right ? I think that is an outlandish statement, because the variables are endless. An order in the since of everything being in the bag when one gets the order, is not the only part of making an order perfect, the actual preparation of the food is also a huge part of the order, and machines won't take care of that very important part of it yet, so it's just corporate propaganda that he is spinning (not me), and this he keeps doing in one way or the other when speaking in these ways (IMHO).

Forum List

Back