Would someone explain why paying $15 to 1.9 million kids living at home..

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
it is necessary if it destroys probably 1 million of these kids under 24 jobs?

In 2011, 73.9 million American workers age 16 and over were paid at hourly rates, representing 59.1 percent of all wage and salary workers.
Among those paid by the hour, 1.7 million earned exactly the prevailing Federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.
About 2.2 million had wages below the minimum.
Together, these 3.8 million workers with wages at or below the Federal minimum made up 5.2 percent of all hourly-paid workers.
Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2011

$MinWageAge.gif

Of the above chart from the US Census Bureau,
of the 3.8 million nearly 2 million are under 24 years old.
How many of those 24 year olds probably still live at home or have a 2nd job?

Where has the ability of the common person to understand simple economics?

Destroying 1 million jobs to raise the minimum wage for over 60% of the people that have little or no living expenses, i.e. live at home, get their meals, shelter provided by their parents!

In 2011, 73.9 million American workers age 16 and over were paid at hourly rates, representing 59.1 percent of all wage and salary workers.
Among those paid by the hour, 1.7 million earned exactly the prevailing Federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.
Together, these 3.8 million workers with wages at or below the Federal minimum made up 5.2 percent of all hourly-paid workers.

View attachment 28636

Destroying 1 million jobs to raise the minimum wage for over 60% of the people that have little or no living expenses, i.e. live at home, get their meals, shelter provided by their parents!

Another wingtard prediction that raising the minimum wage would destroy jobs.

Since the very creation of the minimum wage decades ago, some right wing chickenlittle has whined about potential job loses. The only thing that has vanished is your credibility.

View attachment 28636

Since the very creation of the minimum wage decades ago, some right wing chickenlittle has whined about potential job loses. The only thing that has vanished is your credibility.

You didn't answer the question... what purpose is there in raising minimum wage if it just adds to the 90 million unemployed?

The U.S. now has 90.6 million "non-institutionalized" men and women over the age of 16 not working—an all-time high. That's 10 million above the 80.5 million when President Obama took office. With total employment at 144.3 million, for every three Americans over the age of 16 earning a paycheck there are two who aren't even looking for a job. That's an ugly portent for American prosperity.
Review & Outlook: 90 Million Americans Not Working - WSJ.com

The Obama administration tells us that the labor force participation rate is now the lowest it has been since 1984.
There Are 100 Million Working Age Americans That Do Not Have Jobs ***UPDATED***

But of course IDIOTS LIKE you who have NEVER hired anyone much less understand how economies work totally depend on wild guesses!
NO facts like I provide. No links like I provide ...JUST stupid idiotic sophomoric retorts! Name calling.

Please grow a set and think for once before you type!

I'm stilling waiting for raising the minimum wage supporters to ANSWER my QUESTION!

Is it better to put 1 million people out of work to raise the minimum pay for what would be less then 2 million people all living at home with their parents???

View attachment 28636

You didn't answer the question... what purpose is there in raising minimum wage if it just adds to the 90 million unemployed?

The U.S. now has 90.6 million "non-institutionalized" men and women over the age of 16 not working—an all-time high. That's 10 million above the 80.5 million when President Obama took office. With total employment at 144.3 million, for every three Americans over the age of 16 earning a paycheck there are two who aren't even looking for a job. That's an ugly portent for American prosperity.

The Obama administration tells us that the labor force participation rate is now the lowest it has been since 1984.

But of course IDIOTS LIKE you who have NEVER hired anyone much less understand how economies work totally depend on wild guesses!
NO facts like I provide. No links like I provide ...JUST stupid idiotic sophomoric retorts! Name calling.

I reject the premise of your question. That's why I didn't answer it.

Conservatives always predict massive job losses from minumum wage hikes, and conservatives are always wrong.

The creation of the minimum wage was met with temper tantrums from conservatives about job losses, and conservatives are still trying it, despite never being right. Just stfu already.

what about stock holders, dividend recipients.

their margins will shrink.
Very important for retirees

They'll just have to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, and rely on that rugged individualism, to muddle through, the poor babies.

Conservatives always predict massive job losses from minumum wage hikes, and conservatives are always wrong.

The creation of the minimum wage was met with temper tantrums from conservatives about job losses, and conservatives are still trying it, despite never being right. Just stfu already.

You haven't said where YOU get our facts much less shown your facts!

Again.. I am showing you what has happened...

Give me facts to support your GUESSES!!!

Last edited:
Every job has a value.

Price oneself above that value and there are several possible outcomes:

1. Somebody else will do the same job for less. Yes, despite "minimum wage" laws. Probably an illegal alien welcomed in by Regime Obama.

2. The job will be eliminated through changes to the product or process.

3. The task will be automated if volume is sufficient to warrant the capital investment.

4. The price of the end product will be raised to cover the additional labor cost. This will effectively put the product beyond the reach of the recipient of the "benefit". Maybe the maker will be lucky and there still will be a market at the higher price.

Or not.

5. The product will no longer be produced.

Another aspect that people that support raising the minimum wage is raising to $15.00 means REALLY raising the total payout by the employer to $16.15 per hour NOT $15.00!
Most people are totally ignorant that employers pay 6.2% in Social security taxes and 1.45% in Medicare taxes.
So the employer is not only faced with $15.00 but another $1.15 in taxes!

NO f..king kidding this is a TAX increase for Obama!
But ignorant people like Obama don't seem to understand pictures like this:

$automatedrest.jpg
An automated Japanese restaurant in Texas of all places!!!
This is how McDonalds etc. will replace these 1.9 million kids living at home making minimum wage !

Health no one is convinced you have a problem with $15 an hour. You have a problem with changing the min wage to ANYTHING other than what it is now. ANYTHING.

The only "guess" that has been made is yours. You have "guessed" that 1 million people would lose their jobs if the minimum wage is raised. You have not supported that "guess" with credible evidence.

Your topic is premised on this "guess", and it is that premise which velvtacheeze is challenging.

Even if the premise of this thread were correct not many people are arguing for it to be raised to $15 anyways. The people arguing for that are a small minority. Gradually raising it over the years, yes. Spiking it from $7.25 to $15, no.

I'm stilling waiting for raising the minimum wage supporters to ANSWER my QUESTION!

Is it better to put 1 million people out of work to raise the minimum pay for what would be less then 2 million people all living at home with their parents???

Your question is based on false premises. Which from what we've seen of you should surprise no one.

If corporations are making record profits, but wages are stagnant and job creation is anemic,

taking all three of those facts into account,

is that a system that's working well for the nation?

The only "guess" that has been made is yours. You have "guessed" that 1 million people would lose their jobs if the minimum wage is raised. You have not supported that "guess" with credible evidence.

Your topic is premised on this "guess", and it is that premise which velvtacheeze is challenging.

YOU ARE RIGHT!!! I am guessing that 1 million people under 24 making minimum wages will lose their jobs!

I'm guessing that McDonalds with 1.8 million employees worldwide, In the United States alone, they employ 760,000 people.

What would a $15/hour wage mean for McDonald?s? | Talking Numbers - Yahoo Finance

So simply math:
Current minimum wage of $7.25/hour PLUS McDonalds pays another 7.65% in SS/Medicare or a total of $7.80/hour.
760,000 people at 40 hours @ 52 weeks @ $7.80/hour is $12.337 billion a year for these 760,000...
At the rate of $15.00 /hour PLUS McDonalds pays another 7.65% in SS/Medicare or a total of $16.14/hour.
760,000 people at 40 hours @ 52 weeks @ $16.15/hour is $25.525 billion a year for these 760,000...

$13.188 billion a year in additional cost...
To Keep from having this additional cost McDonald's raise the rate on 367,333 employees by FIRING 367,333...

367,333 is 36% of 1 million... I projected... and that is just McDonalds...

What would a $15/hour wage mean for McDonald?s? | Talking Numbers - Yahoo Finance

Last edited:
See my point has ALWAYS been that the majority of idiots that support raising minimum wages totally are lying when they say.."$15.00"!
The majority of Americans and ALL of the idiots supporting it DO NOT COMPREHEND that the Employer not only pays out :
6.2% of the employees wages to SS.
1.45% to Medicare...
$700 minimum per year per employee for Workman's comp!
FUTA The maximum FUTA amount paid is $420 per employee, and the minimum amount is $42.
In McDonald's case 760,000 at $420 is $320 million A year!

Again all these idiots HAVE NO IDEA how much an employee costs ABOVE AND BEYOND the Minimum wage!!!

Forum List

Back