Second Moon?

It appears that earth's gravity has captured an asteroid. It's tiny, much further out than the Moon and is thought to have been around for only about 50-100 years.

Small asteroid discovered orbiting Earth - CNN.com

A guy I know always goes on about temporary moons. We had a quiz question about how many moons the Earth has, people thought it might be a trick question, but then it got these guys started on second moons and stuff.

Dat's what Uncle Ferd call it...

... when sumbody comes around...

... an' he moons `em...

... an' den dey come back around...

... an' he moons `em again.

It appears that earth's gravity has captured an asteroid. It's tiny, much further out than the Moon and is thought to have been around for only about 50-100 years.

Small asteroid discovered orbiting Earth - CNN.com

A guy I know always goes on about temporary moons. We had a quiz question about how many moons the Earth has, people thought it might be a trick question, but then it got these guys started on second moons and stuff.

I am wondering why NASA merely refers to it as a "quasi-satellite" ?

The newly discovered asteroid 2016 HO3 orbits the sun in such a way that the space rock never strays too far from Earth, making it a "quasi-satellite" of our planet, scientists say.
"One other asteroid — 2003 YN107 — followed a similar orbital pattern for a while over 10 years ago, but it has since departed our vicinity," Paul Chodas, manager of NASA's Center for Near-Earth Object Studies at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, said in a statement Wednesday (June 15).
"This new asteroid is much more locked onto us," Chodas added. "Our calculations indicate 2016 HO3 has been a stable quasi-satellite of Earth for almost a century, and it will continue to follow this pattern as Earth's companion for centuries to come."..
As the space rock circles the sun, it loops around Earth as well, zooming ahead of the planet half of the time and trailing behind the other half, NASA officials said. 2016 HO3's orbit is tilted slightly relative to that of Earth, so the asteroid also bobs up and down through our planet's orbital plane.

Surprise! Newfound Asteroid Is 'Quasi-Moon' of Earth

This animation shows it is in a classic slanted polar orbit.
Newly Discovered Asteroid Is 'Quasi-Satellite' Of Earth | Orbit Animation

WASSUP NASA? PREJUDICED AGAINST LITTLE BODIES OR SUMPIN?

It appears that earth's gravity has captured an asteroid. It's tiny, much further out than the Moon and is thought to have been around for only about 50-100 years. Small asteroid discovered orbiting Earth- CNN.com
I guess it's because they come and go. If it's at the furthest from earth and gets influenced by the gravity of a larger asteroid, it could be gone.

It appears that earth's gravity has captured an asteroid. It's tiny, much further out than the Moon and is thought to have been around for only about 50-100 years. Small asteroid discovered orbiting Earth- CNN.com
I guess it's because they come and go. If it's at the furthest from earth and gets influenced by the gravity of a larger asteroid, it could be gone.

According to NASA this thing will be around at least for the next few centuries.

An excellent target for the first private space exploration of Space X.

Yep ;) I'd like to put Kepler 2 on it and have it do its thing for a few decades. haha
How would you manage that without any infrastructure, Matthew?

What do you have against infrastructure? Seriously? Discovering habitual planets and infrastructure for its citizens are two things a civilized first world nation takes part in.

An excellent target for the first private space exploration of Space X.

Yep ;) I'd like to put Kepler 2 on it and have it do its thing for a few decades. haha
How would you manage that without any infrastructure, Matthew?

What do you have against infrastructure? Seriously? Discovering habitual planets and infrastructure for its citizens are two things a civilized first world nation takes part in.

upload_2016-6-18_0-16-7.png

Forum List

Back