Seattle and Portland

2 cities Republicans love to hate.

I live in Seattle, and make occasional business trips to Portland. These cities don't even rank in the top 100 most violent cities in America, yet Republicans (most of whom have never been here) love to hate them. They're pro labor, eco friendly, liberal, tech hub's with above average wages, and an educated workforce. Everything conservative America loves to hate. :102:

Hate us all you want little elephants, but The Emerald and Rose cities are prospering!
And I live just South of Portland and heard again just yesterday while waiting for a haircut how
people here loathe what Portland has become.
The people I know and talk to, many former residents of Portland, look forward to going to Portland
about as much as visiting the dentist. Over one year of nightly rioting in Portland!
And still going on. Portland has become a national symbol of lawlessness and dystopic degeneracy.
But you seem secure in your bubble of denial (and smug ignorance).

And I know Seattle has their problems too ranking highly in national crime surveys of personal
theft of property. "This drop in crime can be attributed primarily to a large drop in property crimes, since the violent crime rate actually went up about 11 percent. This rise in violent crimes should not been seen with total alarm, since, when compared to other major U.S. cities, Seattle actually has a fairly low rate of violent crimes." ...and even better when you compare it to Mogadishu!
(For comparison Chicago ranks 71st on the list of American's most dangerous cities.
"You might be thinking to yourself at this point — where’s Chicago?? Isn’t that some kind of post-apocalyptic, world war 3 type city?"

I'm very sure no one would claim Chicago is a very safe city to live in. But when comparing Seattle
and Portland to Chicago they don't seem so crime ridden and dangeous at all!
Most Dangerous Cities In The United States For 2021

Well, it actually ranks #71 on the most dangerous list with a pretty normal overall crime rate. Like Seattle or Portland, not being the worst does not make those cities safe or pleasant to live in, despite what some
offended leftist would claim.
Portland and/or Seattle may not be like Chicago, Baltimore or Detroit but that doesn't make them
safe by any means. It just means they aren't THE most unsafe of places to live.

When someone sticks a gun in your face, knowing Seattle is "pro labor, eco friendly, liberal, tech hub's with above average wages, and an educated workforce" must make you feel very comforted.
Like San Francisco your "above average wages" doesn't quite ease the sting of some of America's
highest costs of living, does it.

I remember visiting relatives in Seattle frequently over the years. Funny, I don't remember the "autonomous zones" there in that time.
I don't know what crawled up your butt to cause you to go into denial but the truth does sting
so I can only guess you were stung recently. The truth does hurt some sensitive types.

Last edited:

I live in Seattle, and make occasional business trips to Portland. These cities don't even rank in the top 100 most violent cities in America, yet Republicans (most of whom have never been here) love to hate them. They're pro labor, eco friendly, liberal, tech hub's with above average wages, and an educated workforce. Everything conservative America loves to hate. :102:

Hate us all you want little elephants, but The Emerald and Rose cities are prospering! :)

I am not a Republican, I lived in Salem most of my life then moved to Lynnwood, Federal Way. My wife and I loved to go to Portland and walk around the downtown area, today we won't go downtown and take the 205 to go around Portland. We haven't stayed downtown Portland in many years, the last time we had a room downtown, was 2016 or 2017, helicopters were flying overhead, the streets had homeless tents around and we called the hotel, cancelled the room and we went over to PDX area and stayed in a hotel there. It's about feeling safe and Portland no longer gives out that warm feeling.

In Seattle, my son currently lives in a downtown apartment, just blocks away from some of the rioting last summer. His apartment building boarded their windows and he could look off his balcony at watch the riots. The politics are insane and letting rioters takeover the city was his last straw. He is waiting for permission to work remotely and then he is moving out of the state of Washington.

I don't hate either city, they are both beautiful, just don't care for the lack of real balanced leadership that prior mayors provided. To me it isn't a Democrat or Republican thing, it is a safety issue. Still love the Lynnwood area and north to the Canadian border and Love the state of Oregon, minus Portland.

Whats not to like huh. Tent cities littered everywhere, downtown, along roads and highways.
Every single highway underpass is covered in filth, needles, feces, trash, stolen grocery carts & bicycles
and other signs of the homeless menace.
And if you have go near these dregs the beggars and panhandlers are persistent and nasty tempered
and don't take being refused so well.

Last edited:

Hate us all you want little elephants, but The Emerald and Rose cities are prospering! :)

But but but these places have been burned to the ground by antifa/blm stormtroopers working for biden.
They are not what they used to be. We used to go to Portland and spend the weekend downtown, walk allover and feel good and enjoy the sites and nightlife. That is not the case anymore, now they have parts of downtown gated off, lots of trash and homeless tents, the last weekend we went to stay there, there were riots nearby and we cancelled our hotel and went out and stayed by the airport.

Have you ever been to either city? I have been to both and lived near both and they are having lots of issues. Now, go take care of your racist country before commenting about our great country.

It’s only the duped Rs that hate the two cities. You know? The ones who consume way too much Fox News.
Don't pretend your biased opinions represent the truth. My son who is a Bernie voter and worked for the
city of Seattle running an urban gardens program (not exactly a Fox viewer) left the city disgusted at the
homeless issue and the politicization of it.
Your drive by comments aren't exactly illuminating.

Last edited:
To the OP and other libs, you are living in delusion if you believe there has NOT been a substantial deterioration of business and life in both of these downtown cities.

Downtown Seattle loses its only grocery store as businesses flee the city amid COVID and riots​

At least 130 Seattle businesses have permanently closed and about 47,000 jobs were lost in the downtown area in the first half of the year.

1623345470777.png

But but but these places have been burned to the ground by antifa/blm stormtroopers working for biden.
As usual your commentary is ignorant and not helpful. Doesn't the magnificent UK NHS system
have some way of dealing with mental health problems like yourself?

It’s only the duped Rs that hate the two cities. You know? The ones who consume way too much Fox News.
I've been in both recently, and they're both shitholes...Setting aside the nightly riots in Portland and the CHAZ/CHOP travesty in Seattle, both cities have hot and cold running drug-addled bums infesting the streets, ridiculously inflated costs of living (brought about by you-know-who), and treat chronic traffic congestion as a feature instead of a liability.

That's not "hate", that's the way it is.

I've been in both recently, and they're both shitholes...Setting aside the nightly riots in Portland and the CHAZ/CHOP travesty in Seattle, both cities have hot and cold running drug-addled bums infesting the streets, ridiculously inflated costs of living (brought about by you-know-who), and treat chronic traffic congestion as a feature instead of a liability.

Absolutely right! Massive political failure to deal with a toxic problem is the reason why Seattle
and Portland are circling the porcelain fixture as they go down the drain.
Anyone that claims they are doing okay is either blind or mentally impaired and a leftist lemming.

My mother had close relatives in Seattle we used to visit often. I remember how Seattle used to be.
This isn't an nostalgic appeal for the past. Just pointing out how far Seattle has fallen in the gutter all
due to gutless political "leadership" that is petrified that actually enforcing the law
will make them somehow "right-wingers".

Oh Jesus Christ...wouldn't want to do that! Wouldn't want to clean up the assaults and beatings, the drugs, the fecal wastes, the rubbish, etc. Wouldn't want to eradicate the societal cockroaches, like the bill 718 types, who watch Seattle drowning in their own shit and think everything is great.

Last edited:

Sure, plenty of other Dim led states that DO rank in the top violent crimes to note.....

Did you read this part:

"Some business owners say they have little hope for improvement in downtown Portland as vandalism and destruction continues into a second year."

Don't pretend your biased opinions represent the truth. My son who is a Bernie voter and worked for the
city of Seattle running an urban gardens program (not exactly a Fox viewer) left the city disgusted at the

I see my post created an uproar. My post was directed at Rs who HATE the two cities. Of course they have problems, but all major cities have problems. Why hate them?

Did you read this part:

"Some business owners say they have little hope for improvement in downtown Portland as vandalism and destruction continues into a second year."

I see my post created an uproar. My post was directed at Rs who HATE the two cities. Of course they have problems, but all major cities have problems. Why hate them?
Where is your evidence that telling the truth about them = "hate"?....That's a trope of the moonbats.

I'm starting to understand how certain other posters see you as a poorly closeted leftist.

Did you read this part:

Where is your evidence that telling the truth about them = "hate"?....That's a trope of the moonbats.

I'm starting to understand how certain other posters see you as a poorly closeted leftist.
it is the way lefties work if you disagree with something you are a racist if you mention a problem with somewhere you hate it.

I was born and raised in Seattle. I love my home.

I go to Portland a few times a year. I was there in April. I love Portland.

Neither city are falling apart. In fact, both are growing by leaps and bounds.

Yes we are liberal and successful. That is the problem the conservatives have with both cities.

Forum List

Back