Scrolling

graywolf

Rookie
Sep 29, 2011
Northern Ca.
I have a new(2 mo.) HP Slim line w/windows 7. In the last few days when I try to scroll up or down I get a jerking motion. This happens if I, using the mouse, try to scroll using the" mouse wheel' on the text or on the arrow.Prior to two days ago it was very Smith.
Thank you for your time.

I have a new(2 mo.) HP Slim line w/windows 7. In the last few days when I try to scroll up or down I get a jerking motion. This happens if I, using the mouse, try to scroll using the" mouse wheel' on the text or on the arrow.Prior to two days ago it was very Smith.
Thank you for your time.

Any recent updates, like around two days ago? If so you may need to update the mouse drivers.

No, no updates. Now if I put my pointer on the bar,side of screen, I can scroll up or down smoothly. If I use the up/doen arrows it jerks.

No, no updates. Now if I put my pointer on the bar,side of screen, I can scroll up or down smoothly. If I use the up/doen arrows it jerks.

Well either your mouse is going bad or a mouse driver was somehow corrupted. Download and re-install the mouse drivers and see if that fixes it. You may also have a driver disc for the mouse that came with the mouse or computer, you could try that also.

Turn the system off and remove the USB mouse plug and insert it into another slot.

Restart. This will rebuild the driver stack in case of stack corruption. Well, if it's going into a port it hasn't been in that is. See if the issue repeats.

Last edited:
Turn the system off and remove the USB mouse plug and insert it into another slot.

Restart. This will rebuild the driver stack in case of stack corruption. Well, if it's going into a port it hasn't been in that is. See if the issue repeats.

Shit, I knew I was forgetting something. Had that happen twice in the past and switched out ports. Didn't know why and when I put it back in the original port later on it worked fine. That explains it.
Thanks!

Shit, I knew I was forgetting something. Had that happen twice in the past and switched out ports. Didn't know why and when I put it back in the original port later on it worked fine. That explains it.
Thanks!

You can also remove old devices. I wrote a tutorial on this with windows xp but it still follows to windows 7.

How Do I Remove Unused Devices from My Windows XP/MCE/2003/Vista/7 System?

Here's How to Remove Unused Devices

If you have had many drivers and hardware changes to your system or if you have had several Catalysts installed on your system in the past, or even an Nvidia card installed previously on the same Windows install, not to mention any other previous items of hardware which you no longer use, then this tip lets you remove them from the registry.

To view unused devices in Device Manager, do the following:

1. Open a Command Prompt by going to Start>Run and typing "cmd" (without quotes). Once the MS DOS prompt is open, type the following lines, pressing return after each:
  1. Set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
  2. Devmgmt.msc

Note, you can type "exit" (without quotes) in the MS DOS prompt window to close it at any time after this.

2. In the Device Manager window that opens, go to the View menu and select 'Show Hidden Devices' - this is very important if you want to see the unused devices. Now expand each of your devices and look through all the sub-components listed. You will see that some of the devices are shown in a lighter grey color.

3. For the purposes of this guide, what we need to look for are entries under the Monitor and Display Adapter devices. Under Monitor there should be one darker monitor entry for each monitor on your system. If there are any greyed out entries, you can remove them by right-clicking on the entry and selecting 'Uninstall'. Do this for all greyed out entries under the Monitor device.

4. Under the Display Adapter device, it is normal for most Radeons to have two entries - a main one, and another one which has '- Secondary' next to it. These just indicate that your graphics card is capable of two separate outputs to two different display devices. You should keep both of these. Do not attempt to uninstall the dark Secondary entry. You can however uninstall all other greyed out entries under the Display Adapter device list.

5. If you're feeling game, you can go through some of your other device entries and delete greyed out devices which you know for certain are no longer connected to your machine, or are traces of a device which has been moved around a few times. For example, under Human Interface Devices you may find multiple greyed out entries for a mouse which you may have moved from one port to another. As long as there is a solid entry for the device when it is still connected to your system, you can uninstall the greyed out ones.

6. A final word of warning - I do not recommend uninstalling devices which you are not sure about. Most importantly, do not uninstall any greyed out Microsoft (or other Codec) entries under the Sound, Video and Game Controller device, and be extremely careful about entries under the Non Plug and Play Drivers, and Network Adapters device list. If in doubt, do not uninstall a device.

If you do happen to uninstall a device which is still connected to your system, it's not the end of the world. Windows will usually re-detect it upon reboot and look for drivers to reinstall it. However I urge you to take caution with the above procedures and only do Steps 1 - 4 above if you have any doubts.

Ropey

You will have to open the registry as an administrator though.

Thanks!

You can also remove old devices. I wrote a tutorial on this with windows xp but it still follows to windows 7.

How Do I Remove Unused Devices from My Windows XP/MCE/2003/Vista/7 System?

Here's How to Remove Unused Devices

If you have had many drivers and hardware changes to your system or if you have had several Catalysts installed on your system in the past, or even an Nvidia card installed previously on the same Windows install, not to mention any other previous items of hardware which you no longer use, then this tip lets you remove them from the registry.

To view unused devices in Device Manager, do the following:

1. Open a Command Prompt by going to Start>Run and typing "cmd" (without quotes). Once the MS DOS prompt is open, type the following lines, pressing return after each:
  1. Set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
  2. Devmgmt.msc

Note, you can type "exit" (without quotes) in the MS DOS prompt window to close it at any time after this.

2. In the Device Manager window that opens, go to the View menu and select 'Show Hidden Devices' - this is very important if you want to see the unused devices. Now expand each of your devices and look through all the sub-components listed. You will see that some of the devices are shown in a lighter grey color.

3. For the purposes of this guide, what we need to look for are entries under the Monitor and Display Adapter devices. Under Monitor there should be one darker monitor entry for each monitor on your system. If there are any greyed out entries, you can remove them by right-clicking on the entry and selecting 'Uninstall'. Do this for all greyed out entries under the Monitor device.

4. Under the Display Adapter device, it is normal for most Radeons to have two entries - a main one, and another one which has '- Secondary' next to it. These just indicate that your graphics card is capable of two separate outputs to two different display devices. You should keep both of these. Do not attempt to uninstall the dark Secondary entry. You can however uninstall all other greyed out entries under the Display Adapter device list.

5. If you're feeling game, you can go through some of your other device entries and delete greyed out devices which you know for certain are no longer connected to your machine, or are traces of a device which has been moved around a few times. For example, under Human Interface Devices you may find multiple greyed out entries for a mouse which you may have moved from one port to another. As long as there is a solid entry for the device when it is still connected to your system, you can uninstall the greyed out ones.

6. A final word of warning - I do not recommend uninstalling devices which you are not sure about. Most importantly, do not uninstall any greyed out Microsoft (or other Codec) entries under the Sound, Video and Game Controller device, and be extremely careful about entries under the Non Plug and Play Drivers, and Network Adapters device list. If in doubt, do not uninstall a device.

If you do happen to uninstall a device which is still connected to your system, it's not the end of the world. Windows will usually re-detect it upon reboot and look for drivers to reinstall it. However I urge you to take caution with the above procedures and only do Steps 1 - 4 above if you have any doubts.

Ropey

You will have to open the registry as an administrator though.

I'd prefer not to mess around in the registry, still a little gun shy from about a decade ago when I deleted half my hidden system files. :lol:
I let CCleaner take care of that chore now. :D

Thank you both, I did as you said and it is working fine, When I went to the back of the tower I remember that the ATT High Speed moden was just installed.

Thank you both, I did as you said and it is working fine, When I went to the back of the tower I remember that the ATT High Speed moden was just installed.

Good that you are up and running again. An unhealthy mouse is uncomfortable. :razz:

New Topics

Forum List

Back