Screw the Virus!

OldLady

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2015
David Brooks is one of my favorite voices of conscience. Somehow, his columns are coming up free from the NYT. So I'm sharing his latest. Food for thought. Excerpts:

The great paradox, of course, is that we had to be set apart in order to feel together. I’ve been writing about the social fabric for years now, but you really see it only after you’ve lost it.

It’s like when you’re starving, and food is all you can think about. Suddenly everybody has human connection on the top of mind.

All the little acts of social contact we took for granted now seem like candy. I miss choruses and sports bars, the weird way we all used to stare straight ahead in crowded elevators....Through plague eyes I realize there’s an important distinction between social connection and social solidarity. Social connection means feeling empathetic toward others and being kind to them. That’s fine in normal times.

Social solidarity is more tenacious. It’s an active commitment to the common good — the kind of thing needed in times like now...Solidarity is not a feeling; it’s an active virtue....It’s out of solidarity that health care workers stay on their feet amid terror and fatigue. Some things you do not for yourself or another but for the common whole.

It will require a tenacious solidarity from all of us to endure the months ahead. We’ll be stir-crazy, bored, desperate for normal human contact. But we’ll have to stay home for the common good. It’s an odd kind of heroism this crisis calls for. Those also serve who endure and wait.

I wonder if there will be an enduring shift in consciousness after all this. All those tribal us-them stories don’t seem quite as germane right now. The most relevant unit of society at the moment is the entire human family...

Opinion | Screw This Virus!

David Brooks is one of my favorite voices of conscience. Somehow, his columns are coming up free from the NYT. So I'm sharing his latest. Food for thought. Excerpts:

The great paradox, of course, is that we had to be set apart in order to feel together. I’ve been writing about the social fabric for years now, but you really see it only after you’ve lost it.

It’s like when you’re starving, and food is all you can think about. Suddenly everybody has human connection on the top of mind.

All the little acts of social contact we took for granted now seem like candy. I miss choruses and sports bars, the weird way we all used to stare straight ahead in crowded elevators....Through plague eyes I realize there’s an important distinction between social connection and social solidarity. Social connection means feeling empathetic toward others and being kind to them. That’s fine in normal times.

Social solidarity is more tenacious. It’s an active commitment to the common good — the kind of thing needed in times like now...Solidarity is not a feeling; it’s an active virtue....It’s out of solidarity that health care workers stay on their feet amid terror and fatigue. Some things you do not for yourself or another but for the common whole.

It will require a tenacious solidarity from all of us to endure the months ahead. We’ll be stir-crazy, bored, desperate for normal human contact. But we’ll have to stay home for the common good. It’s an odd kind of heroism this crisis calls for. Those also serve who endure and wait.

I wonder if there will be an enduring shift in consciousness after all this. All those tribal us-them stories don’t seem quite as germane right now. The most relevant unit of society at the moment is the entire human family...

Lovely and apropos observations.

>> We’ll need a great reset when this is all over. We need to start planning a great social festival and ask the obvious questions: Why did we tolerate so much social division before? Why didn’t we cultivate stronger social bonds when we had the chance?

In the meantime, as someone on my Twitter feed observed: Airport rules apply. If you want a beer at 9 a.m., go for it. <<​

Wuh-oh. "Airport rules"? The TSA is coming to body-cavity search us? :eek:

NYT and I think other publications have suspended their paywalls for Coronavirus news, that's why you can see it.

Lovely and apropos observations.

>> We’ll need a great reset when this is all over. We need to start planning a great social festival and ask the obvious questions: Why did we tolerate so much social division before? Why didn’t we cultivate stronger social bonds when we had the chance?

In the meantime, as someone on my Twitter feed observed: Airport rules apply. If you want a beer at 9 a.m., go for it. <<​
Wuh-oh. "Airport rules"? The TSA is coming to body-cavity search us? :eek:

NYT and I think other publications have suspended their paywalls for Coronavirus news, that's why you can see it.
lol "Airport rules." I didn't include the quote you added because I didn't want to seem like I was lecturing. I do enough of that around here. I can clear a thread like nobody's business. Sing along: The Bitch is Back. I'm working off a weak wifi spot and can't do vids at the moment.
Anyway, glad I could share it with you, Pogo.

Or, to put it a little more succinctly (thanks, bones)
89990453_3491673734186946_3023622088364654592_o.jpg

Forum List

Back