Science question...insulated food bag.....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
when i pick up food and bring it home I ise an insulated food bag to keep it hot. For the science types out there......is it better to leave the air in the bag when I seal it, or is it better to squeeze the bag and get rid of the extra air? Which would keep the food hotter?

when i pick up food and bring it home I ise an insulated food bag to keep it hot. For the science types out there......is it better to leave the air in the bag when I seal it, or is it better to squeeze the bag and get rid of the extra air? Which would keep the food hotter?

Leave air in inside. It creates dead air space which is one of the best insulators there is.

Negative....He's not dealing with a steady heat source.....It's losing BTUs when it comes out of the oven. Don't waste them heating air.

Negative, he is heating a small volume of air. If he empties the bag of air he is then heating EVERYTHING around the bag. He loses a little, to save a hell of a lot more.

Just eat the shit while you are walking around the store. Screw the bag. :biggrin:

Negative, he is heating a small volume of air. If he empties the bag of air he is then heating EVERYTHING around the bag. He loses a little, to save a hell of a lot more.
Negative, I'm taking for granted he's using a bag with a padded/reflective lining designed to hold-in the heat, why heat air first?

LOL.....Me, I just stick it in between two folds of a old wool army blanket for the mile trip home. ;)

An interesting experiment would be to buy two roasted whole chickens, put one in a bag with no air, one with air. Transport them side by side and see which one is hotter when you reach your destination.

Forum List

Back