School Threatens to Ruin Valedictorian’s Naval Academy Appt.

The kid is not Naval Academy material

If he can't hack it giving a speech he agreed to give , he won't hack it as a Midshipman. Something about an honor code

So you think "naval material" means getting accustomed to the taste of boot polish and never questioning your superiors even when they are violating the Constitution?

If he can't hack it giving a speech he agreed to give , he won't hack it as a Midshipman. Something about an honor code

So you think "naval material" means getting accustomed to the taste of boot polish and never questioning your superiors even when they are violating the Constitution?

What part of the Constitution was violated?

A helicopter pilot, a platoon leader, a gun captain ~ all have an honor code to follow, and that means following orders one does not like much of the time, bripat. You never would have cut it as a commissioned officer.

At the Academy.....yes.

The principle should be thrown out of education permanently from what the story says. In my opinion he should be prosecuted for official oppression.

So...you take this on face value automatically.

Yep, just by virtue that the speech had to go through 4 censors and his mic was cut off when he deviated, the rest is just gravy. Then add that the school deviated from their own policies by not including the required disclaimer in the event program. This all totals a lack of competence on the part of the school and there the buck stops with the principle. Any more questions?

Naturally, you would believe everything the school says.

Do you have any evidence the school is ‘lying.’

Otherwise, the school was well within its rights to end the speech. The student should have delivered the speech he agreed to deliver, and was compelled to have the approval of the school regarding any changes.

From the link in the OP. “We are all fortunate to live in a country where we can express our beliefs, where our mics won’t be turned off, as I have been threatened to be if I veer away from the school-censored speech I have just finished,”

You seem to forget that he was coerced into giving the censored speech which he gave, his remarks were in addition to the speech. I guess reading comprehension is not your strong suite.

School Threatens to Ruin Valedictorian?s Naval Academy Appt. | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

At the Academy.....yes.

The code of military justice stipulates that you are not to obey illegal orders.

What part of the Constitution was violated?

Check the Bill of Rights.

I've seen more than one cadet wash out of service academies because they didn't understand chain of command when they went in. I would have respected him more if he refused to submit the speech. But if he led the school official to believe that he was giving a "compliant" speech and did not, that is an honor code violation if done at a service academy.

If he had expressed himself properly, the school would be able to disqualify him as valedictorian (it a bestowed honor, not a "right") or to choose another student to give the speech. I've also seen this happen when a student insisted on making editorial comments about school policy or political matters that the school deemed inappropriate. After all, this ceremony belongs to the school, not one student.

Whatever his speech was and why they ended it is a moot point. The fact (I Presume it is a fact) that the PRINCIPLE decided to take it all a step further by intruding into this kids chances of going to the naval academy.....THAT is what needs to be eyeballed and addressed by the kids lawyer and the school system. If the principle did that, then he does not need to be a principle any more. Period.

Let's hope the kid overcomes mindless nutball support like the op, keeps his head and his principled stand - something entirely foreign to the nutball scum of the earth - jumpstarts something good among young folks, like thoughtful civil disobedience.

I doubt the service academies encourage "thoughtful civil disobedience" as a desirable personality characteristic of military officers. In the armed services, constitutional considerations pretty much cease after the "lawful order" unit of instruction.

Naval Academy huh?

Where you are supposed to follow instructions without question? And he can't even deliver the valedictorian speech he agreed to give?

Not Naval Academy material

Follow instructions without question?

Don't know much about the military, do you?

At the Academy.....yes.

The code of military justice stipulates that you are not to obey illegal orders.

And that the burden of proof is on you if you disobey them. That is why you could not cut it in the military, bripat.

It was intimidating having my high school principal threaten my future because I wanted to stand up for the Constitution and acknowledge my faith and not simply read a government approved speech, the teenager said.
The OP is obviously as ignorant of the Constitution and its case law as the teenager, the latter of which at least has an excuse.

No right is absolute, including rights enshrined in the First Amendment. Government is allowed to place reasonable restrictions on the exercising of one’s rights.

In this case, schools have the right to control the content of official speech, such as an address during a graduation ceremony. See: Morse v. Frederick (2007).

Can you give me a list of cases where the Supreme Court said that student speech amounts to a violation of the Establishment Clause? While you are at it, feel free to explain how speech promoting illegal activity in any applies to talking about faith.

Whatever his speech was and why they ended it is a moot point. The fact (I Presume it is a fact) that the PRINCIPLE decided to take it all a step further by intruding into this kids chances of going to the naval academy.....THAT is what needs to be eyeballed and addressed by the kids lawyer and the school system. If the principle did that, then he does not need to be a principle any more. Period.

So...a principal is not allowed to tell a prospective college about one of his student's character? Really?

Naturally, you would believe everything the school says.

Do you have any evidence the school is ‘lying.’

Otherwise, the school was well within its rights to end the speech. The student should have delivered the speech he agreed to deliver, and was compelled to have the approval of the school regarding any changes.

You are 100% correct. Problem is you are barking at the wrong people, as usual.

The school admitted the principle made the threat, and that he backed down when he talked t a lawyer. The principal was 100% wrong to make the threat, and he should be punished for it.

It was intimidating having my high school principal threaten my future because I wanted to stand up for the Constitution and acknowledge my faith and not simply read a government approved speech, the teenager said.
The OP is obviously as ignorant of the Constitution and its case law as the teenager, the latter of which at least has an excuse.

No right is absolute, including rights enshrined in the First Amendment. Government is allowed to place reasonable restrictions on the exercising of one’s rights.

In this case, schools have the right to control the content of official speech, such as an address during a graduation ceremony. See: Morse v. Frederick (2007).

Can you give me a list of cases where the Supreme Court said that student speech amounts to a violation of the Establishment Clause? While you are at it, feel free to explain how speech promoting illegal activity in any applies to talking about faith.

Has nothing to do with the OP, so is dismissed. Move along.

So...a principal is not allowed to tell a prospective college about one of his student's character? Really?

In Texas, the law is very clear about these things. Yes, the principal, on his own, can make a character assessment about any of his students to any of the colleges to which they applied. The principal is of course subject to libel law.

As a school board president, more than once I ensured that a particular institution had a full character assessment about a student applicant.

Forum List

Back