Saw this little guy on one of the bird feeders last night

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
My wife went outside to put away a couple of the bird feeders last night, which she does to keep the coons from wrecking them. This little feller was sitting on one of them, munching away at the sunflower seeds. He didn't seem to be particularly afraid of us and I was gonna pet him, but the wife said I probably shouldn't. It was a little flying squirrel and of course, my wife named him "Rocky."

fs0.jpg

fs1.jpg

fs2.jpg

I'm gonna try a shepherd's hook for my feeder. There's a maniacal gang of rabid thug squirrels acting like a bunch of BLMers all over it.

Bunch of thieving bullies that eat everything to vapor and find the concept of sharing a ridiculous bird dream. They're even chewing my bird feeder to a junky mess.

They are assholes.

I'm gonna try a shepherd's hook for my feeder. There's a maniacal gang of rabid thug squirrels acting like a bunch of BLMers all over it.

Bunch of thieving bullies that eat everything to vapor and find the concept of sharing a ridiculous bird dream. They're even chewing my bird feeder to a junky mess.

They are assholes.

Squirrels are evil little bastids. Here they run along top of the fence.....which of course sends the dogs into a frenzy going after them. The squirrels then will run back & forth taunting the dogs.

But I think the visitor to the OP is a chinchilla. Probably from the same family though

Squirrels are evil little bastids. Here they run along top of the fence.....which of course sends the dogs into a frenzy going after them. The squirrels then will run back & forth taunting the dogs.

But I think the visitor to the OP is a chinchilla. Probably from the same family though

There was this squirrel where I worked some years ago. We always took our breaks outside and he lived in the walnut tree there. Any time anyone tried to sit at the table or just under the tree the little sonofa would run the branches above and chuck green walnut skins at our heads.

There was this squirrel where I worked some years ago. We always took our breaks outside and he lived in the walnut tree there. Any time anyone tried to sit at the table or just under the tree the little sonofa would run the branches above and chuck green walnut skins at our heads.

They are so baaaaaad

My wife went outside to put away a couple of the bird feeders last night, which she does to keep the coons from wrecking them. This little feller was sitting on one of them, munching away at the sunflower seeds. He didn't seem to be particularly afraid of us and I was gonna pet him, but the wife said I probably shouldn't. It was a little flying squirrel and of course, my wife named him "Rocky."

View attachment 807803

View attachment 807804
View attachment 807805
Cool. I haven't seen a flying squirrel since being a kid at scout camp.
Our problem is the normal squirrels eating the biggest share of the bird seed at the feeders.

View attachment 807803

View attachment 807804
View attachment 807805
There is probably a Moose in the area

Hey Galt, Any chance of you or the mrs, getting video of them in sail action?

Hey Galt, Any chance of you or the mrs, getting video of them in sail action?

We rarely see that, and he just happened to be there, and he did sail off and land in a tree about 15 feet away. It would be pretty hard to get that on camera, because it was night. My wife was holding the flashlight when I took the pictures with her phone.

We rarely see that, and he just happened to be there, and he did sail off and land in a tree about 15 feet away. It would be pretty hard to get that on camera, because it was night. My wife was holding the flashlight when I took the pictures with her phone.
Great pic by flashlight, and pretty good phone.

Great pic by flashlight, and pretty good phone.

Thanks, but I thought the phone camera was pretty crappy. Just didn't have time to go out to the garage and get a real camera.

Thanks, but I thought the phone camera was pretty crappy. Just didn't have time to go out to the garage and get a real camera.
Really for low light night shot, on the spur of the moment, not bad.

Chinchillas live in the andes mountains. They couldnt survive the temperature here.

That nutty, salty flavor he has now might go good with a light applewood smoke.

They are assholes.

Yeah they are.
I bought several hammocks for the weekend place,nice ones.
When nest building time came around they shredded the shit out of em for nesting material.
First I tried shooting the little shits but you'd have to keep watch from sun up to sun down.
I finally just took em down during nesting season.

Forum List

Back