That is what I am saying. If every EU member makes all its neighbors' national languages an additional national administrative language, then a united Europe can form. Without that, the EU will fail.

By the way, I know from Swiss and Belgian people, that neither Switzerland nor Belgium is solid on their multi language foundations. Swiss Germans don't want to speak French to the Swiss French, and the Swiss french don't want to speak German to the Swiss German. Even though both learn both in school. Same in Belgium.
There was some talk a few years back of splitting Belgium into 3. French,Flemish and Brussels as a sort of City State. Good luck to them.

Following this model, it may be interesting to cantonize not only Belgium but every country in the EU. And put the canton borders per the longest standing language borders in the past 1000 year history. That may work probably even better, but I think the EU should start an internal war to achieve anything like that, in addition to its external border wars that it is running in all its neighbor's currently.
Europe is fine. If some parts want to redefine themselves that is fine as well. The beauty of the EU is that these changes dont lead to bloodshed any more.

That was the goal, but failed with Lisbon.

Now the Germany borders, Italy borders, Hungary borders, basically every border that the ww2 entente drew in 1947 needs a new bloodshed, and re drawing, and very few politicians are honest enough to admit this, one of them being Marie Le Pen.
Man, you live in a world of illusions. The language divisions, the border divisions have existed in Europe because of a natural historical process. The only way to smooth these divisions is to create a single political and economical bloc without internal borders, not the opposite. Though, how viable this bloc will be is an issue which can be discussed. But no sane person will pick the tusk to bring the cantonization to life. If Marin Le Pen supports this idea, then it is one more sign that she is a cheap populist and nothing more.

How can you achieve a "single political and economic block", without tackling the language problem. The various nation states of the EU write laws about their national languages, at the detriment to other languages within their borders. This strengthens national borders and ultra nationalism to the point of breaking up the EU. Shouldn't then a political and economic unification start with the liberation of languages?

There was some talk a few years back of splitting Belgium into 3. French,Flemish and Brussels as a sort of City State. Good luck to them.

Following this model, it may be interesting to cantonize not only Belgium but every country in the EU. And put the canton borders per the longest standing language borders in the past 1000 year history. That may work probably even better, but I think the EU should start an internal war to achieve anything like that, in addition to its external border wars that it is running in all its neighbor's currently.
Europe is fine. If some parts want to redefine themselves that is fine as well. The beauty of the EU is that these changes dont lead to bloodshed any more.

Now the Germany borders, Italy borders, Hungary borders, basically every border that the ww2 entente drew in 1947 needs a new bloodshed, and re drawing, and very few politicians are honest enough to admit this, one of them being Marie Le Pen.
Man, you live in a world of illusions. The language divisions, the border divisions have existed in Europe because of a natural historical process. The only way to smooth these divisions is to create a single political and economical bloc without internal borders, not the opposite. Though, how viable this bloc will be is an issue which can be discussed. But no sane person will pick the tusk to bring the cantonization to life. If Marin Le Pen supports this idea, then it is one more sign that she is a cheap populist and nothing more.

How can you achieve a "single political and economic block", without tackling the language problem. The various nation states of the EU write laws about their national languages, at the detriment to other languages within their borders. This strengthens national borders and ultra nationalism to the point of breaking up the EU. Shouldn't then a political and economic unification start with the liberation of languages?
The EU doesn’t have a national group which can assimilate the other nations (unlike the US that had the Anglo-Saxons as a cornerstone). That is why I think that the EU in a form of a federation is doomed to failure.

The EU doesn’t have a national group which can assimilate the other nations (unlike the US that had the Anglo-Saxons as a cornerstone). That is why I think that the EU in a form of a federation is doomed to failure.

Aggressive assimilation within each nation state of the EU is ongoing, with the EU's encouragement. This will doom it to failure, I agree. In this thread, I am trying to explore alternatives. It seems obvious, that in the case of the USA, the English language did the unification. In India too. Europe hasn't got it, but an EU wide language diversity law could be experimented with I guess, as above. Alternatively too, English could be forced as a second administrative language in all municipalities in the EU. But national language laws would need to be repealed or Marie Le Pen becomes quite right.

Aggressive assimilation within each nation state of the EU is ongoing, with the EU's encouragement. This will doom it to failure, I agree. In this thread, I am trying to explore alternatives. It seems obvious, that in the case of the USA, the English language did the unification. In India too. Europe hasn't got it, but an EU wide language diversity law could be experimented with I guess, as above. Alternatively too, English could be forced as a second administrative language in all municipalities in the EU. But national language laws would need to be repealed or Marie Le Pen becomes quite right.
People will kill to preserve their language. Your idea is a fantasy.

Not a fantasy because I have already proposed a war for it. Very easy, you only need to import the wars that the EU is already running in all its neighbor countries.

There is a metric that is well proven in several EU countries, that you need to kill only 50 % of the population to make them accept a second language. The Habsburgs and the Romanovs practiced this continuously, as well as the British crown and the entente.

Not a fantasy because I have already proposed a war for it. Very easy, you only need to import the wars that the EU is already running in all its neighbor countries.

There is a metric that is well proven in several EU countries, that you need to kill only 50 % of the population to make them accept a second language. The Habsburgs and the Romanovs practiced this continuously, as well as the British crown and the entente.
Ok.

Forum List

Back