Save the Post office from our government

In a perfect world you'd be correct. However, in looking at career politicians, greed, graft and corruption, it is painfully obvious government is not about service. Rather it is about self enrichment.
Now, the USPS operates AS any business. It performs services for which customers must pay. The USPS has a budget, pays employees, has accounts payable, accounts receivable, etc.
The USPS IS a business. A business that in an indirect manner, belongs to the people of the USA....
The USPS should operate with the same type model as any other business.
The current model under which the USPS operates is impossible to sustain.
It has to be revamped in its entirety.

Either you are clearly unaware of the situation, or you are acting deceitfully. The current model of the USPS is a deliberate suicide pill created by a GOP Congress, and you know it.

It can't make a profit because the Congress created a law structure that prevents profit.

Remove the law, not revamp the USPS.

Jake that "suicide" pill was also backed by quite a few Democrats.....and if you notice today's Democrats are not doing much about that Pill.....

Yup, the GOP had some help from the Dems, but Bohener et al will never permit the suicide pill to be removed.

Stick a fork in it -its done - hard to say which is more worthless -a mailman or fireman.

Over the past 35 years, the number of fires in the United States has fallen by more than 40% while the number of career firefighters has increased by more than 40% .

so what do you do for a living?.....

Stick a fork in it -its done - hard to say which is more worthless -a mailman or fireman.

Over the past 35 years, the number of fires in the United States has fallen by more than 40% while the number of career firefighters has increased by more than 40% .

I can tell you what I do not do - deliver junk mail , or sit on my ass in front of fire station scratching my nuts.

the founders put the post office in the constitution and were willing to pay for it through goverment.

why do you hate the constitution and the founders?

I can tell you what I do not do - deliver junk mail , or sit on my ass in front of fire station scratching my nuts.

so in other words.....you are just another taker.....and someone who could not do either of them two jobs.....:thup:

I deal with the USPS every day at work. I have mostly good things to say. The only bad thing I have to say is that wait times in the lobby can be ridiculous at times. But I mostly use a metering machine so I don't have to go into the lobby very often.

My biggest problem is with UPS. They are SO UNBELIEVABLY ROUGH on our packages. I don't know if this is a universal UPS problem, or just a problem with our guy. I like our UPS guy though, he's great.

FedEX is pretty good but I usually only deal with them when it comes to express service(receiving, not shipping. I ship express with USPS).

There is a ton of fat that can be trimmed before anything else is proposed. Saturday delivery and getting rid of the post offices that don't do enough business to cover their payroll would be a good start.

Postmaster Generals at the state and federal level have been trying to do this for 20 years.
But they are fought tooth and nail by legislators to score political points for "saving our local post office".
The Post Office has it's hands tied behind their backs trying to run an organization efficiently with the postal unions and constant government interference.
I have worked with the Post Office for many years.

SO did I, and you are correct.

No....If the USPS is to grow, it needs to turn a profit.

Look, the jobs of postal workers can no longer be protected. The USPS should be cut loose and subject to the economic realities that affect any other market based business.

Why does the USPS need to "turn a profit"...?

The United States Postal Service (USPS), also known as the Post Office and U.S. Mail, is an independent agency of the United States federal government responsible for providing postal service in the United States. It is one of the few government agencies explicitly authorized by the United States Constitution. The USPS traces its roots to 1775 during the Second Continental Congress, where Benjamin Franklin was appointed the first postmaster general. The cabinet-level Post Office Department was created in 1792 from Franklin's operation and transformed into its current form in 1971 under the Postal Reorganization Act.

More: United States Postal Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a business in a competitive marketplace. Why not?
Is it better to keep it as is. A wasteful bloated agency that is in part a warehouse for employees who don't produce any work?
Forget 'protecting jobs'...That's crap. You people are all about 'save the post office' I want my Saturday mail'...Ok fine. Not the way the USPS is currently operating.
Can't have it both ways.
I'm not interested in the history of the USPS because that is immaterial to the discussion.
The USPS is on the verge of financial disaster. First class mail volume if down 25% in the last 5 years. People are SICK of junk mail.

I do not know what you are talking about. Have you ever worked at the post office? I thought not. It's not an easy job. Try delivering mail just one day and then tell me about employees not producing any work.

Anyone saying postal craft workers are lazy or have an easy job are either ignorant, mentally feeble, motivated malignantly, or a combination of all three.

Anyone saying postal craft workers are lazy or have an easy job are either ignorant, mentally feeble, motivated malignantly, or a combination of all three.

they have their slackers Jake.....there are people there who have no business delivering the mail.....because they cant do the job......and your right the job aint as easy as it looks.....i saw enough people walk through the door in my time there who thought......"how hard can this be?"...:dunno:...their attitude changed after about a week.....many quit.....we used to get a kick out of those that had that attitude....

they have their slackers Jake.....there are people there who have no business delivering the mail.....because they cant do the job......and your right the job aint as easy as it looks.....i saw enough people walk through the door in my time there who thought......"how hard can this be?"...:dunno:...their attitude changed after about a week.....many quit.....we used to get a kick out of those that had that attitude....

Yup. I have no use for the blanket condemnation the ignorant make about postal workers was my point. Absolutely moronic. I doubt any here condemning the USPS could last two weeks.

Yup. I have no use for the blanket condemnation the ignorant make about postal workers was my point. Absolutely moronic. I doubt any here condemning the USPS could last two weeks.

i wonder what happened to Nova?.....

Is it better to keep it as is. A wasteful bloated agency that is in part a warehouse for employees who don't produce any work?
Forget 'protecting jobs'...That's crap. You people are all about 'save the post office' I want my Saturday mail'...Ok fine. Not the way the USPS is currently operating.
Can't have it both ways.
I'm not interested in the history of the USPS because that is immaterial to the discussion.
The USPS is on the verge of financial disaster. First class mail volume if down 25% in the last 5 years. People are SICK of junk mail.

part a warehouse for employees who don't produce any work?

they don't?......come on down and carry a few routes.....it might change your opinion.....

People are SICK of junk mail

it is considered the most effective way to advertise....which is why that stuff just keeps on coming....

I was referring to management level people.They don't do shit.
And that comes from two letter carriers I know.
One guy I used to go camping with worked at a sectional center( I think that is what's called..Or maybe a bulk center) anyway a big place that handles a lot of mail...
He said his two supervisors were lazy ass do nothings that got to management level via affirmative action. He said none of the supervisors or their managers did anything productive.

Can't have it both ways.

I do not know what you are talking about. Have you ever worked at the post office? I thought not. It's not an easy job. Try delivering mail just one day and then tell me about employees not producing any work.

Read below my response to harry dresden. It's a clarification. Think management.

Forum List

Back